PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Worshiping another race's gods?

Caddoko
2015-01-16, 11:36 AM
So I'm going into my first real Faerun game and I had a question: Would it be strange for a Halfling from Waterdeep to worship a god from another race's Pantheon? I'm going to be a Stongheart Halfling (Rogue 2/Beguiler 7) to be specific and the more and more I look through the list of Forgotten Realms gods the more Gnome ones I run across that feel perfect for my character other than the gnome part. Would it be socially-acceptable for a character from a cultural mixing pot like Waterdeep to worship another race's god or should I keep looking for one that's of my own kind's religious practices?

DeltaEmil
2015-01-16, 11:44 AM
There are human gods that are being worshiped by non-humans all the time in the Forgotten Realms.
So theoretically, there shouldn't be any problems with non-humans worshiping other non-human gods.

Red Fel
2015-01-16, 11:46 AM
So I'm going into my first real Faerun game and I had a question: Would it be strange for a Halfling from Waterdeep to worship a god from another race's Pantheon? I'm going to be a Stongheart Halfling (Rogue 2/Beguiler 7) to be specific and the more and more I look through the list of Forgotten Realms gods the more Gnome ones I run across that feel perfect for my character other than the gnome part. Would it be socially-acceptable for a character from a cultural mixing pot like Waterdeep to worship another race's god or should I keep looking for one that's of my own kind's religious practices?

Short answer: Yes, but. Yes, it will be strange, but not horrifying. You might lose some friends over it, but it's not like you're switching to Gruumsh or Kurtulmak. Not every Elf puts Corellon at the top of their prayers; some go to Boccob, for example. (I can't recall if I'm using FR deities, and don't much care right now; this is all for illustration.) So going outside of the faith of the racial patron isn't uncommon. That said, going outside of your racial patron's faith and into another's would raise some eyebrows. People might scowl, or chuckle. People might consider you a wannabe. It's like if a Human started worshipping Corellon, and wearing green, and letting his eyebrows grow out, and dancing naked in the woods with bears. People would think he's a poser.

You might be shunned a bit by more devout Halflings. You might find compassion among Gnomes, or even be scorned by more devout Gnomes. Pretty much everyone else, though, wouldn't care a wit.

Darrin
2015-01-16, 11:53 AM
Oblivious Adoption (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ObliviousAdoption) (trigger warning: tvtropes link (http://xkcd.com/609/)) is a common trope in fantasy.

It creates additional RP opportunities:

The halfling is unaware of his true ancestry, and the other PCs need to be careful about accidentally revealing it.
The halfling is aware of his true ancestry, and is particularly sensitive about it. He will aggressively defend his adopted heritage, possibly threatening physical violence to anyone who might question his "true gnome" bonafides.
The halfling is aware of his true ancestry, and is ashamed of it. He will go to great lengths to conceal or lie about it, as he's afraid of the consequences of being "outed" as not a true gnome.

DrMotives
2015-01-16, 12:09 PM
It reminds me of Captain Carrot from the Discworld series. He's a human adopted & raised by dwarves, takes dwarven customs & culture very seriously, and gets offended if anyone calls him a human. Legally and psychologically he is a dwarf.

Caddoko
2015-01-16, 12:14 PM
Great responses all around. I do believe I'll go through with it then. It might even create some neat RP options. Thanks everyone. :smallsmile:

Sewercop
2015-01-16, 05:53 PM
In a world you know the gods exist and give out spells to their worshippers I see no problem worshipping the one that suits your character best.
Im a sailor and pirate.. Bet your house id pray to the god of the seas and pirates instead of my cultural heritage. Makes sense :)

Tragak
2015-01-17, 02:32 PM
Maybe your person, despite being a member of species X, simply respects species Y's cultures (as mandated by Deities C and D) more than species X's cultures (as mandated by Deities A and B). Just because you were born in one place doesn't mean that you belong there.

Chronos
2015-01-17, 03:11 PM
Actually Carrot (and other dwarves) considers himself both a dwarf and a human (or more precisely, other dwarves consider him a dwarf, and don't care whether he's also a human or not). He doesn't take any offense at being considered human, but he does at being considered not a dwarf.

In this particular case, I can't imagine anyone caring other than other halflings or gnomes (who are both relatively uncommon races to begin with), and even they might not, and if they do, their reactions might be positive or negative. Most other races probably don't see much difference between the two to begin with.

Relevant to both Carrot and the OP's case is the Stoneblessed prestige class. Take three levels in the class, and you count as a member of one of the three races of stone, and it's implied that this includes social acceptance by other members of that race. I'm 99% certain that the class was invented specifically for purposes of representing Captain Carrot, but gnome is also an option for it. How this would affect the OP's case, though, I'm not sure: On the one hand, it's evidence that gnomes consider it possible for a person to "become a gnome", and that such a process is socially acceptable, but on the other hand, the fact that there is a formal process for doing so might mean that gnomes would frown on those who try to "become a gnome" informally without going through the process.

tadkins
2015-01-17, 03:34 PM
There's a passage in Complete Champion mentioning the possibility of a "Chaotic Evil Half-Orc worshipping Moradin the Dwarffather". It'd be strange, but it can be done.

Hiro Quester
2015-01-17, 03:51 PM
A halfling who was a foundling, raised in a gnome community.

I'm currently playing a gnome who was raised by elves, and remembers little about his gnome origin.

But a half long who thinks he's a gnome and is oblivious to his differences, would be fun to play.

jedipotter
2015-01-17, 04:18 PM
Would it be socially-acceptable for a character from a cultural mixing pot like Waterdeep to worship another race's god or should I keep looking for one that's of my own kind's religious practices?

As far as the Forgotten Realms setting goes...it is just fine. Tons of gnomes worship Gond(human god) and tons of halflings worship Tymora(human god). Some elves worship Mystra(human god). Tiamat and Bahamut(Xymor) are both dragons with worshipers of other races. And so on.

Though ''officially'' accepted, the social part depends. Some people are, some don't. I don't think many in Waterdeep would care, out side of a handful of zealots and raciest.

BWR
2015-01-17, 04:33 PM
As far as the Forgotten Realms setting goes...it is just fine. Tons of gnomes worship Gond(human god) and tons of halflings worship Tymora(human god). Some elves worship Mystra(human god). Tiamat and Bahamut(Xymor) are both dragons with worshipers of other races. And so on.

A couple of those gods are universal in FR, not race speciific. Mystra, for instance, is goddess of all magic on Faerun. All other gods of magic in FR are just subcontractors, barring that Shadow Weave stuff. Tymora is goddess of all luck, not specifically human. If anything, she is more of a halfling goddess if halflings are specifically noted as worshippers and other races aren't.

Sam K
2015-01-17, 05:05 PM
There's really three aspects to it: what your own people would think, what the followers of your god would think, and what the god itself would think.

OP, since your character is from waterdeep, you've probably been exposed to different cultures, and the halflings your character knows is probably more cosmopolitan than the average. Halflings who live in the traditional villages might think you're odd, though.

Since the halflings and gnomes share atleast some of the same situation (facing some bullying from the tall folk), gnomes may be more open to halflings worshiping their gods. You would probably be treated like a very odd convert; it might be hard for you to make a career in the church, but that's not your goal anyway. You would probably be welcome at the services, as much as most other recent converts.

Don't know the god in question, and since you're not a cleric, it's not as important. You're unlikely to get smitten as a heathen. Enjoy your new faith!