PDA

View Full Version : Would Hank Hill from king of the hill know about yuengling

Akisa
2015-01-16, 12:13 PM
So I'm wondering would Hank Hill know about Yuengling. Yuengling is oldest brewery in America, but is not sold in Texas. On one hand Hank may not come into the knowledge of the beer, but he also has a love on for America (save for New Yorkers and possibly Cali)

Ranxerox
2015-01-16, 09:04 PM
No. Hank is a great guy, but he is pretty ignorant. Also, he would likely consider Yuengling some sort of hipster thing, and Hank don't truck with hipster stuff. Hank would however be familiar with Shinerbock, because it is a Texas tradition.

Jayngfet
2015-01-16, 09:21 PM
So I'm wondering would Hank Hill know about Yuengling. Yuengling is oldest brewery in America, but is not sold in Texas. On one hand Hank may not come into the knowledge of the beer, but he also has a love on for America (save for New Yorkers and possibly Cali)

Depends. Hank is reasonably knowledgeable about a few things, but his knowledge isn't omnipresent or all encompassing. It's possible, or even probable, given that he's been out of state a few times, that he's run into a can here or there somewhere. But that's kind of irrelevant to who he is, since he's kind of like an oak tree: Once he's found a good position he grows into it and isn't much for moving after that point. He drinks Alamo, and that's basically it. Just like he's only ever shown using non-propane grills only once and as a reverse why he doesn't train with rifles to overcome his younger-day phobias.

I wouldn't exactly call him "ignorant" either though. It's entirely reasonable for someone not to have much experience with something he physically can't have much access to. Especially since he spent half the series without an internet connection and rarely bothers for the other half. His disdain for coastal types and hipsters isn't so much an ingrained thing as it is a learned reflex. I think one of the things Mike Judge captured perfectly is the way a lot of N.Y. and L.A. types tend to presume superiority over everyone else and butt in where they aren't wanted. Remember that in most instances they seek him out and start hostilities, or else try to interfere with something that works and muck it up in a way the real people they caricature often do.

Akisa
2015-01-18, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your input, though I believe he would at least try the beer unlike the Canadian beer that the Canadian family that was temporarily renting from Boomhauer. At least once he was told that it was from America's oldest brewery.

SiuiS
2015-01-18, 07:48 PM
Nope. Hank is less America is awesome and more 1950s America is awesome.

Barmoz
2015-01-18, 08:23 PM
I consider myself to be a pretty serious beer fan, and for years I thought Yuengling was an Asian import like Sapporo. If I'm willing to camp out for 6 hours in sub 20 degree cold for Bourbon County release day on black Friday and I don't know anything about it, I doubt Hank Hill would know.

Razade
2015-01-18, 08:28 PM
Nope. Hank is less America is awesome and more 1950s America is awesome.

He's really not though. Hank is one of the more progressive voices on the show. He just takes time to come around to the new ideas. He yearns for a "better" and older time but when it comes down to it he's easily the most forgiving and understanding character. Especially when it comes to Bobby.

Jayngfet
2015-01-18, 08:49 PM
He's really not though. Hank is one of the more progressive voices on the show. He just takes time to come around to the new ideas. He yearns for a "better" and older time but when it comes down to it he's easily the most forgiving and understanding character. Especially when it comes to Bobby.

Indeed. I never really got a "yay '50's!" vibe from Hank at all. If he really were a 50's nut he'd probably have more of the aesthetics and memorabilia around his house and actually talk about the nineteen fifties.

Not to mention that Hank wasn't even born until near the end of the decade and came of age in the 60's and 70's and his tastes are almost exclusively based in that era. The 50's were before his time and his tastes had already solidified long before 50's nostalgia really took off in the 80's. If he were interested in the 50's he'd probably have been more of a greaser aesthetically, given how much he works with his hands and deals with machinery in his free time.

Flickerdart
2015-01-19, 12:24 AM
I'd say no, not because of anything about Hank (I don't watch the show) but because Yuengling's only market niche is "not Budweiser but still lager." There are lots of companies that are America's oldest and yet not notable.

007_ctrl_room
2015-01-19, 07:51 AM
Hank would sadly not be interested in said beer - which is probably in my top 10 favorite beers - simply because it's from the NE (it started in West Virginia/PA didn't it?). His son Bobby though seems to jump onto the local fad train every other episode, so when the kid eventually turns 21 I bet there's a chance he turns Hank onto it, though you'd never see him drink it on the street.

"You brought propane Yuengling into my house!?"

Fawkes
2015-01-20, 07:28 PM
Yeah, Yuengling just isn't a popular beer in Texas.

SiuiS
2015-01-20, 07:42 PM

Indeed. Saying "fifties" was more a compact hand wave towards some vague ideals, than anything specifically about the years 1950-1959.

Hank is a "when men were men, some were women, and none of this hipster/hippie/hip-hop/foreign nonsense" type bloke. He's also, as has been pointed out to me, a caricature himself; about how there's a lot of rage simmering below the surface of your average Joe.

But that's not a summation of his character. Just a starting point.

Razade
2015-01-21, 12:48 AM
Indeed. Saying "fifties" was more a compact hand wave towards some vague ideals, than anything specifically about the years 1950-1959.

Hank is a "when men were men, some were women, and none of this hipster/hippie/hip-hop/foreign nonsense" type bloke. He's also, as has been pointed out to me, a caricature himself; about how there's a lot of rage simmering below the surface of your average Joe.

But that's not a summation of his character. Just a starting point.

I'd say it's the starting point. Because by the end of the show he's come to accept all the things he started off thinking were problems. Again mostly though Bobby though Lou Ann and getting over his anger at his father and a slew of other things. Hank Hill's a deep character.

SiuiS
2015-01-21, 01:39 AM
Is there a definite series end? It was my understanding they just stopped making episodes.

Gnoman
2015-01-21, 02:40 AM
It ended with a pretty decisive finale, but that aired after Fox decided to cancel it (despite good (even rising) ratings) to make room for their obviously-destined-to-be-smash-hit new shows Sit Down And Shut Up and The Cleveland Show. The final episode involved Bobby joining a meat-judging team, quitting it due to the team's unethical behavior and disinterest in meat, and returning to the team and winning the final competition single-handedly. This gives Hank, finally, a way to bond with the son he loves but shares few interests with.

007_ctrl_room
2015-01-21, 01:50 PM
Yeah, Yuengling just isn't a popular beer in Texas.

Yeah, i live in Houston and I can only find Yuengling at speciality beer stores/certain liquor stores; now I want to go out and pick up a sixer for this weekend!