PDA

View Full Version : [Entertainment News] Serenity named top sci-fi movie

Kiero
2007-04-02, 10:37 AM
BBC News Online article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6517155.stm):

Serenity named top sci-fi movie

Space thriller Serenity has beaten Star Wars to the title of best sci-fi movie in an SFX magazine poll of 3,000 fans.

The futuristic release from 2005 was based on the short-lived TV series Firefly. Both were the work of Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon.

Star Wars - which Whedon has conceded had "an enormous influence" on Serenity - came second in the survey.

Blade Runner was third, followed by Planet of the Apes, The Matrix, Alien and Forbidden Planet.

Serenity is about the crew of a space ship of the same name, and at the time of its release, Whedon declared it was a way of showcasing the "gritty" side of the genre.

"There's something in science fiction, which I love very much, that I've missed of late - which is a sort of grittiness, the reality of what it must be like to be up in a small community or a small ship," Whedon told the BBC in 2005.

"I had a perfectly disparate set of elements.

"I had people who were actual size in a story that was larger than life, and I think when you put those two elements together you get the most exciting kind of film-making."

SFX editor Dave Bradley said it was a "massive surprise" to see Serenity beating Star Wars.

"The TV show may have been cancelled, yet the Serenity universe clearly struck a chord with fans, thanks to its likeable characters, witty dialogue and amazing special effects."

1. Serenity
2. Star Wars (pictured)
3. Blade Runner
4. Planet of the Apes
5. The Matrix
6. Alien
7. Forbidden Planet
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey
9. The Terminator
10. Back to the Future

Aidan305
2007-04-02, 11:03 AM
I wasn't all that fond of Serenity. I felt that it lacked something from the series. There are much better sci-fi films out there.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-04-02, 11:37 AM
What, no love for Equilibrium? Ah-hah-hah, I kid.

I can't knock the choice, although my list would be altered significantly... at least Blade Runner got a suitably high standing.

Om
2007-04-02, 12:00 PM
Meh. I saw the film without the series and wasn't all that impressed. Sure its a good film but the best sci-fi ever? Come on.

The problem with this poll, as the article hints at, was that people were voting on the basis of their love for the "Serenity universe" and characters established over the series rather than the film itself.

But excellent to see Blade Runner do well.

Khantalas
2007-04-02, 12:37 PM
Bah! Star Wars is a fantasy fiction movie, dammit!

Krade
2007-04-02, 01:07 PM
After watching the movie, then the series, then the movie again, I came to one conclusion: There was no where near enough Kaley in the movie.

linkian19
2007-04-02, 01:27 PM
I thought the movie was pretty cool but it did lack something that the series had. I wouldn't vote it as the best sci-fi ever, but it would probably be on the list.

Amotis
2007-04-02, 01:56 PM

*barfing smiley*

I heard good things about it. "They shoot cool!" they said.

I watched about 20 minutes of it and killed myself. I then respawned and put on something that was good and didn't have horrible acting.

SDF
2007-04-02, 02:22 PM
Aliens was better than Alien, I mean they ripped off the marines from that movie for HALO, and Terminator 2 was better than Terminator (and every other movie on that list >;D )

Don Beegles
2007-04-02, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that seems slightly off to me. If you included Firefly as one big movie it would definitely be #1, and I think lots of people voted on that basis, like Om mentioned. Serenity was a good movie, but nowhere near the caliber of the show, and not quite Best SciFi Movie EVAR material.

And I agree, Krade, more Kaylee was necessary. She's just so adorable, and her optimism is infectious.

Amotis
2007-04-02, 03:17 PM
I personally think 2001: A Space Odyssey should of been high up there. And that Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy at least on the list.

2001: A Space Odyssey is an awesome mind blowing beautiful movie. I love it and it's in my top 10 movies easily. Great script, great music, great camera use, great direction. Just awesome.

Andiamo
2007-04-02, 04:39 PM
Not a bad list. Although I would probably have Twelve Monkeys in that somewhere. If you can make Brad Pitt actually act, I think you deserve some credit.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-02, 05:08 PM
2001 needed a higher spot, as Amotis said, and Star Wars doesn't count as science fiction. Otherwise, I generally agree.

And there's no need to bash Equilibrium. It wasn't a terrific movie, but it had its good points. Plus, while not original in any sense, it generally rips off the better parts of the things it rips off.

Kiero
2007-04-02, 06:23 PM
Didn't rate 2001, and I've never seen Forbidden Planet. Truth be told, most of the films on there are only vaguely sci-fi.

I just realised that Alien, and not Aliens is on there. But then I always did prefer action movies to thrillers.

averagejoe
2007-04-03, 01:45 AM
Aliens was better than Alien, I mean they ripped off the marines from that movie for HALO, and Terminator 2 was better than Terminator (and every other movie on that list >;D )

Not to mention Aliens contributed to a lot of stuff in Starcraft. And yeah, Terminator 2 is way better. Terminator is campy at its best.

ray53208
2007-04-03, 02:29 AM
i disagree. t2 wasnt better, in my opinion; just gimmicky. i feel that what people say serenity lacked was in the deleted scenes. if those scenes were left in youd have a movie that carried more of the spirit of the original series. i would rearrange the selection like this (for myself).

1. Serenity - true, my love for the 'verse makes this number one
2. Blade Runner - cyberpunk film noir beautifully done
3. Star Wars - in spite of the joke it became, the originals were great films
4. Alien - suspense does not take a back seat to fx and cheap thrills
5. 2001 - ground breaking and mind expanding
6. Matrix - a solid movie that needed no sequels
7. Planet of the Apes - a funhouse mirror held up to our own society
8. Terminator - thrilling and well made action film
9. Forbidden Planet - a classic science fiction film
10. Back to the Future - a fun film with fun music
11. Robocop - a gritty film that reflects the ills of corporate greed
12. Starship Troopers - an exciting satirical look at totalitarianism

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-03, 02:52 AM
i feel that what people say serenity lacked was in the deleted scenes.
True. Plus, that way Morena Baccarin would have actually been in the movie. I assume many of the scenes were cut because their impact relied too much on the established Mal/Inara dynamic to be accessible to non-series viewers.

I'd still put it at the top of the list, though. It was just so much better than anything that came out for years before it.

Although now that I think about it, I'd also think Star Trek II or First Contact should be on that list. Perhaps IV as well. Clearly, they were willing to judge individual movies from series that also had bad films (hence The Matrix and 2001 being on the list. Arguably BttF and Robocop as well, though many people liked their sequels more than I did.

SDF
2007-04-03, 02:52 AM
i disagree. t2 wasnt better, in my opinion; just gimmicky.

Are you kidding me? T2 had it all. AMAZING camera work, the tones were just perfect, something many modern movies could take note of. Insightful social commentary, it did choice versus causality long before The Matrix did. It had just awesome action sequences (the lobby scene in T2 and The Matrix are very similar you can see the influence) It also has a timeless feel to it, which T1 didn't have.

Deckmaster
2007-04-03, 10:10 AM
My opinion on that list:

1. Serenity: I agree it's a great film. Looking at some of these other films, I think it's definitely one of the best on the list. Best sci-fi movie ever? I don't know about that.
2. Star Wars: Way overrated. I like it, and some of the concepts it works with (Jedi Knights pwn!), but the movies themselves are not so great. The games and expanded universe stuff are really what makes this franchise shine.
3. Blade Runner: It's pretty good. I'd like it better if I could understand what was going on. Are the replicants androids, or clones, or something else entirely? Never fully explained.
4. Planet of the Apes: How did this get on the list? It's just so damn cheesy! And it doesn't make any sense. It's a symptom of 60s and 70s obsession with monkeys and apes (look; they're everywhere!).
5. The Matrix: If you're talking about the first Matrix movie, definitely. It was innovative and smart. No comment on the sequels.
6. Alien: Never seen all of it, but what I have seen is pretty good. Another innovative concept; a haunted house in space! It's been done to death since then, of course.
7. Forbidden Planet: I've never seen this, but any movie that stars Lesley Nielson (even if it was before his name became synonymous with parody) seems dodgy at best.
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey: Another one I'd like better if I had any clue what was going on.
9. The Terminator: Some of you said T-2 was better. No, T-2 had a bigger budget. The first is best. It's another innovative concept (James Cameron is good at that sort of thing; note that he's got two on the list and I agree with both). It was also more thrilling, since there was no good android on the protagonists' side.
10. Back to the Future: Directors need to mix sci-fi with humor more often. There aren't enough Vernian sci-fi movies out there. Don't get me wrong, I like Wellesian dystopias as much as the next guy, but sometimes you just wanna say, "Wow! Look at that!"

As for my list, any ranking of movies I would make would have to include movies of other genres.

Muz
2007-04-03, 10:46 AM
9. The Terminator: Some of you said T-2 was better. No, T-2 had a bigger budget. The first is best. It's another innovative concept (James Cameron is good at that sort of thing; note that he's got two on the list and I agree with both). It was also more thrilling, since there was no good android on the protagonists' side.

Not that I'm disagreeing with your T1 > T2 assertion, but Cameron's only got one on your list. Ridley Scott (who directed the first Alien movie) has got two, though. :smallsmile:

Woot Spitum
2007-04-03, 11:17 AM
How? Serenity isn't that great of a movie. Star Wars should win simply because it convinced people to make Sci-Fi movies again.

And why isn't Stargate on the list?

Deckmaster
2007-04-03, 11:33 AM
I thought James Cameron directed the first Alien movie?

Checking IMDB...

Okay, I was wrong. What's the other one Ridley Scott's got? I think you are mistaken about that.

EDIT: Oh, Blade Runner, duh. I stop talky now.

SteveMB
2007-04-03, 12:24 PM
Star Wars should win simply because it convinced people to make Sci-Fi movies again.
I think Star Wars lost votes from 1)purists who consider it fantasy with SF trappings and 2)the lingering bad smell left by the prequel trilogy.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-04-03, 12:54 PM
I think Star Wars lost votes from 1)purists who consider it fantasy with SF trappings and 2)the lingering bad smell left by the prequel trilogy.

True-didilly yo! :)

How? Serenity isn't that great of a movie. Star Wars should win simply because it convinced people to make Sci-Fi movies again.

Stargate was more of an action movie with a sci-fi plot set up and the acting wasn't exactly stellar.

anphorus
2007-04-03, 06:32 PM

I can suspend my disbelief quite thoroughly. I can buy all of the stuff about ancient Egyptian gods really being aliens. I just not-care that there is, apparently sound in space and that alien races 1000's of years more advanced than us have computed interfaces that looked dated in the 80's. Even cyborgs being sent from the future to kill the mother of the leader of the resistance. All of this I can accept.

But I will never ever be able to believe that someone with a chin as huge as Colonel O'Neill could fit through such a small Stargate.

And what was the deal with the midi-chlorians?

Obi Wan: Hey Qui Gon! What does the Scouter say about his midi-chlorian level?
Qui Gon: It’s over Nine Thousaaaaaaaaaaaaand!
Obi Wan: What!? 9000!?!?

Amotis
2007-04-03, 06:38 PM

Wahahaha I love you. Sigg'd.

FdL
2007-04-03, 07:02 PM
[

And what was the deal with the midi-chlorians?

I didn't get the joke there :s
But it sounded like Seinfeld.

Amotis
2007-04-03, 07:09 PM
Nine Thouuuuuusaaaaaaaand!!!

(http://youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI)

totally kicked your slow-simi'd butt averagejoe.

averagejoe
2007-04-03, 07:09 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TBtpyeLxVkI

Ach, simued. CURSE YOU AMOTIS! YOU'VE WON TODAY, BUT I'LL BE BAAAAAACK!

TheOtherMC
2007-04-03, 07:14 PM

Actually, its Dragonball Z

Like Seinfeld.....but a bit more screaming.....and a bit less rye....

Deckmaster
2007-04-03, 07:50 PM
Actually, its Dragonball Z

Like Seinfeld.....but a bit more screaming.....and a bit less rye....

So...does that mean Piccolo is Kramer?

TheOtherMC
2007-04-03, 08:35 PM
So...does that mean Piccolo is Kramer?

Actually i was going for Roshi but........

ray53208
2007-04-04, 07:27 AM
gods i hate that show. dbz fills me with a rage and loathing that cant easily be squelched.

and yes, i forgot completely about stargate! for a full blast of irony, i was watching the series while typing my entry.

bosssmiley
2007-04-05, 12:22 PM
Read the top 10 in the OP's post. All I can hear is Claude Rains saying "Round up the usual suspects."

Geeks: more reactionary, stuck-in-the-mud and bloody predictable than Torygraph readers!

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-04-05, 12:48 PM
Can I keep hoping that there will be some addition to the firefly universe (and not in the form of a MMORPG)?

LCR
2007-04-05, 12:50 PM

I can't knock the choice, although my list would be altered significantly... at least Blade Runner got a suitably high standing.

Equilibrium is a good movie. Of course not as good as Smoke or maybe GoodFellas, but trashy-good ...

averagejoe
2007-04-05, 09:12 PM
I'm pretty sure most people use a different word for "trashy-good." In fact, I'm pretty sure they just use the word, "bad." :smallbiggrin: