PDA

View Full Version : A thought: Startrek DnD, Building the Enterprise

dascarletm
2015-01-16, 02:38 PM
So something in another thread got me thinking...

magic is mostly ignored except as a plot device because the writers wanted (or figured the audience wanted) LoTR, not Star Trek (which, given what repeating magic traps and teleportation circles can do, you could easily get out of DnD rules).

Could you build roughly The Enterprise using DnD 3.5 or PF? As said above, repeating magic traps/Teleportation circles will help, and I know the strongholder's guide lets you make flying buildings.

So besides the fact that the ship is massive how hard would this be to accomplish?

dascarletm
2015-01-16, 03:00 PM
Looking at wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_%28NCC-1701-D%29) for the ship's capabilities (perhaps someone with a better knowledge on it than I can expand on this) I'll make this list:

Saucer separation: I'm away from the Stronghold builder's guidebook, but there should be something that can accomplish this.

Phasers/Photon torpedos: Plenty of blasting spells out there. Pick your poison.

Shields: Unsure how to give the whole structure temporary hit-points.

Holodeck: Auto-resetting traps of major image/ mirage arcana. Make the traps intelligent so that it can interpret orders/get all wonky.

jedipotter
2015-01-16, 03:37 PM
To make a flying ship is easy. D&D has plenty of examples. Just 200,000 some gold and the spell Fly lets you craft a flying ship. And with the Stronghold builders guide you can make lots of ''ship parts'' one at a time.

Weapons: Catapults and balistias work, and you can make them magic easy. A Batista the shoots ''bolts of lightning'' for example. Large magic items that shoot fireballs, or any other spell are possible.

Shields: Wall of force here. Easy enough to build a couple magic items that do this. The spell Harding gives a structure more Hardness. And plenty of spells lower AC.

Making an Intelligent magic item can cover the ''computer'' part.

Teleport covers transporters.

Divination spells are ''sensors''

malonkey1
2015-01-16, 03:49 PM
Well, as for personal weaponry, Phasers can arguably be reproduced with wands of disintegrate (for kill) and daze monster (for stun). Maybe you might want to craft a custom magic item that does both by depleting charges?

Jeff the Green
2015-01-16, 04:06 PM
Well, as for personal weaponry, Phasers can arguably be reproduced with wands of disintegrate (for kill) and daze monster (for stun). Maybe you might want to craft a custom magic item that does both by depleting charges?

A scepter (LEoF) would work. They're normally much larger, but I think the text leaves open the possibility of making smaller ones.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-16, 04:39 PM
My question is, where are you going to get an endless supply of red shirts and squishy people to fill them?

Brookshw
2015-01-16, 04:44 PM
My question is, where are you going to get an endless supply of red shirts and squishy people to fill them?

Custom Summon Redshirt or resetting Simulcrum trap set to red shirt.

Lentrax
2015-01-16, 04:46 PM

By using dimension door to the nearest star base for resupply, obviously.

dysprosium
2015-01-16, 04:56 PM
Just a little nitpick here

The OP is using the Enterprise D as an example, as evidenced by the link. So that puts us squarely in the Next Generation era.

The redshirts represented security personnel in the Original Series.

In the Next Generation, security personnel wore gold while command wore red.

As far as actually building an acutal Star Trek style spaceship would and should cost well more than 200,000 gp (no matter what the Stonghold Builders Guide tells us).

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-16, 05:08 PM
I've heard the term Red Shirt far more then Gold Shirt, however, even by fans of later series. The trope is never called the Gold Shirt principle after all.

Also, I will be highly amused if someone can come up with a holodeck in DnD that can still malfunction constantly.

dascarletm
2015-01-16, 07:30 PM
We need a way to apply a confusion effect to an intelligent item and we are set.

Inevitability
2015-01-17, 08:32 AM
We need a way to apply a confusion effect to an intelligent item and we are set.

Put it in an AMF, have someone able to cast in an AMF use Polymorph Any Object on it, cast Insanity, dispel the PaO? Veeeeeeeery loose RAW interpretation, but if it works...

dascarletm
2015-01-18, 03:13 AM
Put it in an AMF, have someone able to cast in an AMF use Polymorph Any Object on it, cast Insanity, dispel the PaO? Veeeeeeeery loose RAW interpretation, but if it works...

hahahaha.

I love it.

Knaight
2015-01-18, 03:31 AM
I've heard the term Red Shirt far more then Gold Shirt, however, even by fans of later series. The trope is never called the Gold Shirt principle after all.

Also, I will be highly amused if someone can come up with a holodeck in DnD that can still malfunction constantly.

None of the later series chew through them like the original did. Even Deep Space 9, which was largely about the Dominion war.

AnonymousPepper
2015-01-18, 04:44 AM
If you throw in PF material, Interplanetary Teleport is a thing. Make the entire ship a wondrous item capable of casting it at will.

Erik Vale
2015-01-18, 05:03 AM
A custom version of the Ablative Shield spell from PF would work as the shied [At base, it turns up to 5 dam a hit to non-lethal, up to 50 damage, as a level 1 spell, with maximum based on CL. Just create a greater version. Constructs are immune to non-lethal, so the attacks end up doing no damage.]