PDA

View Full Version : Sunless Citadel - Group 2

tape_measure
2015-01-16, 02:43 PM
Kurthulmalk

The morning sun felt good today as you back to the road from last night's camping spot. Looking down both directions of the empty New Road, you can feel something pulling you south again. A smell of fire looming in the distance usually means one of two things; another campsite not too far off, or a city looming around the next bend. Either way, the road was never easy, and most of the time towns were even worse. You couldn't resist the idea of the rumor you had last heard though. Goblins rarely come out of the caves unless its to raid and plunder. To hear that a tribe is routinely doing business with local cities was crazy, but to hear they had some sort of magical fruit was even more crazy. Just crazy enough to stir some thought deep inside your mind about treasure.

Razia

The light peeked through the tightly drawn curtains this morning and you remember almost instantly why staying at inns was not high on your list for this new adventuring life style you decided upon. But, it fared far better than sleeping in the field outside of town. Beside this also gave you a better chance to learn about this Oakhurst town before seeking out the contact you were given.

His name was Viruun, a man of Wee Jas like yourself, but he was not so fortunate to be able to walk and talk of his favored diety in this area. It made you wonder the whole trip as to why he would even choose this town. But, you learned first hand to not ask too many questions of one's path.

The Ol Board Inn was coming to life outside of your door, and soon it would be time to pay for the next night or move. Quiz, as if knowing this too, jumped lightly into your lamp and begins rubbing along your chin. You can almost hear purrs from the little kitten again.

Aerowyn

Another morning rising stirs you to life from your distant spot in the field from the road. A slight chill in the mid spring air forces your eyes awake. You gather your belongings and after a quick nibble of dried bread, you move on to the road with a guided force. Cedarspar seemed like a long time ago, but the road quickly drowned the fear away. Adventure was always welcomed and smell of fires burning piques your interest in what lies ahead just around the knolls leading to the Ashen Plains.

As you move along the well worn road, you can begin to see the outline of the roof tops in this city. Coming upon a road sign, you pause if only for a moment to read: Oakhurst

You had heard of the town before, but for no real reason other than it was another human settlement that dotted the map. What was interesting about the area was the rise of goblin activity recently. Cedarspar had received work right before you left of a group of goblins that was moving along the road cautiously. Which is curious...goblins never do much in the way of caution. Nevertheless, the road curves ahead, and so the adventure.

<unamed warblade>

You sit down at the table just as the waitress brings out the dish of biscuits smothered in a white gravy sauce. You were up before most of the patrons, and even some of the workers, here at the Ol' Boar Inn. But that wasn't unusual. Most of the night had actually been just as usual as always: you arrived late in the evening to an inn that was nearly empty in a sleepy town. You awoke hopeful that some soul may have an idea about a lead to the name of the dragon that lives in these parts.

"Is there any thing else I can bring you, m'lady?" She nods just slightly to you with a slight curtsey.

Graros

The north road bends once more as noon approaches. The warm sun feels refreshing as another spring is stirring in the forest around you. Ahead you can see the makings of the small town of Oakhurst that you had heard about. The whispers of adventure had swirled around you when you asked about the town back in Ravenswood. The stories seem too large to be true. The tales of a magical fruit that grows in the area were never known to you until a few days ago.

The closer you come to the town, the more sounds you can hear that are indicative to any "normal" city, so why was this area so different and unusual?

Jthw
2015-01-16, 06:31 PM
Graros, lost in his thoughts about the magical fruit "What could this magical fruit be? Might it be simply an enchanted apple? Could it be this town has some effect on the plants of the area?" finds himself in the town of Oakhurst.
Refreshing his mind Graros walks around town keeping an eye out of an inn or tavern and also any strange looking fruit that would match the various descriptions heard from the stories.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-16, 08:44 PM
Aerowyn kept walking along the road, heading into town. As usual, he carries his spear in hand, just in case. In most every tale he's heard, heroes often get their beginnings from fighting goblins...maybe this will be his. Or maybe the human folk of this town have the situation in hand. Regardless, he will look into it, if only out of curiosity.

nolongerchaos
2015-01-16, 09:41 PM
"Alright Quiz, it's time to start our day. Back into the backpack, and stay still."

Razia didn't like commanding Quiz to obey, but he knew from past, less pleasant experiences, that the cat was prone to getting himself noticed and Razia into trouble, unless Razia exerted the control granted to him years ago as the cat's animator.

Razia gathers his scattered belongings and stuffs them into his pack with the cat, then makes his way down to the common area, where after a quick look around, he takes a seat at an unoccupied table. He flags down the waitress and passes her four silver coins.

"If you by any chance have any of the stew you served last night left Miss, I would be grateful for a bowl, and equally grateful for a tankard of water."

Cardea
2015-01-17, 01:48 AM
She kept re-wrapping the bandages around her hands, trying to remember how they were supposed to be done. Around the thumb, between the knuckles. Pad the back, tighten so your bones didn't bolt loose. She woke herself up an hour ago, and went to her morning routine, and spend the past half hour trying to get it done right. And once she did, she finally headed down to eat. Is was only then she noticed that first light was only breaking through. So she sat, and waited, and welcomed the meal. She nodded at the waitress' question. "Looking to earn a few coin before I leave. Can put down any highwaymen, maybe scare off some wolves. Know anyone who needs some muscle, or anyone who needs some muscle to do something for them?"

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Sandviper
2015-01-18, 07:29 AM
Kurthumalk again woke up after one of his nightmares, he has been having those more often than before.. it´s something really ood... but after waking up he feels much better, puzzled but better. As i get up on my feet someting catches my nose...*sniff sniff* the smell of fire enters my nose. I must be close to town... a voice much deeper, that what would you expect for a kobold comes out of the little lizard.. he packs up the few things he has... he grabs his raggs,puts up his hood,and with the aid of a walking stick... starts walking following the smell. In his mind as he walks the simple though of an organized band of goblins doing merchantile bussiness with this town seems imposible... someone must be jocking. but any way something its pulling him this way so he better finds out what it is... as he walks towards his destination, a ominous humming goes along (he´s doing it).

what in the world...this fruit might be...?

tape_measure
2015-01-18, 11:20 AM
Kurthumalk

Following your instincts, you move off South bound around the last twists and turns of the road. You pause as you come into a cleared area and scan the surroundings. To your right, along the Western part of the road, you can see a cleared landscape that stretches toward distant mountains. You pause for a moment as the sting of fire creeps back into your nose. This land is only dotted with small patches of tall grass that has grown unkept for some time and looks to have been abandoned from whatever project it may have cleared for.

Your eyes come back to the road as you can make to small spires of smoke creeping into the Southern sky. Your initial thought of wood burning fires return, but a deeper burn comes to your mind. Almost like dragon's fire.

I'm delaying to see how you want to approach the town, really. I don't want to assume.

Cosette

The young girl smiles as sets the bowl before with the gravy steaming. Your question grabs her attention quickly and you can see her look about the room before leaning in slightly, "There is in fact help that the town has been looking for. Though, it is much bigger of a task than someone-" She unconscionably pause to give you the judgmental look that is common, "- like yourself can take on."

She stops and straightens quickly as noise behind stir the quiet that had been the early morning in the inn. The swinging door to the kitchen rushes open as the robust barkeep begins grumpily setting up the bar area behind you. You can hear footsteps falling on the landing to the second floor. Looking back, you can see a man dressed in a close fitting, grey shirt covered by a long coat moving down the stairs to the common area and seats across the room.

As the girl walks by, she leans in slightly,"Find the mayor for more answers." Her gates lightens up as she walks away with more of a bounce in her step.

Razia

Moving down the steps to the common area, you can see the inn is not nearly as bustling as it was last night. Only a single patron is seated across the room having just been served as you make your way down the stairs. You find the grumpy, fat barkeep is already awake, too, and looks to be setting up shop as you step off the landing. He gives a head nod that seems to pass as a greeting for him.

The girls smiles and she quickly gathers the coins before scampering off the to kitchen. Moments later, she returns with a bowl of steaming stew and tankard of some mirkish liquid. "I brought some cider as well. On the house of course." She gives you well placed wink and steps back in a practiced pose. "I trust you slept well? We heard no sound from your room last night."

Aerowyn

You move along with caution to no surprises. The town comes into view and so do the sounds of commerce in the morning. You find yourself at the edge of this small, one road town displaying itself rather easily: a dwarven blacksmith pounds out a long steel sword, several merchants have set up roadside stands are selling vegetables and other wares, a faded inn sign swings in the morning breeze causing the rusted metal holding it to creak. The clop of horse hooves draw your attention to your immediate right as a woman dressed in banded mail and a long sword strapped to her waist moves from a stall that is set back from the road.

She smiles, and you can quickly make out the half elven heritage. "Greeting traveler. Welcome to Oakhurst." She gives you a good once over as she ties the horse to post set outside of the stall. "What brings you to our small town today?"

Graros

As you make your way closer to town, you can it is very much awake and already bustling with commerce. As you approach, you see an elven warrior, spear in hand speaking with another elvish type; a dwarven blacksmith wields a heavy hammer on a long steel piece that looks to make a fine sword soon, the smells of horses and baked goods mix together and you are reminded quickly of a life behind walls of a township.

Cardea
2015-01-18, 11:38 AM
Cosette smiles back, ignoring the sleight. It was an honest one. She makes her way through her food, roughly and quickly, and leaves two silvers on the table. She heads upstairs, packing her bags, and donning her armor. It is a soldier's uniform, still with the colors of the banner it was under, but faded now. The red painted stripes now turned to maroon, not unlike dried blood, the black bars now turned to a dark grey, while the dull grey of the metal starts to show from underneath both. She tightens straps, adjusts her parent's armor to her, and putting her greatsword in its sling-sheath, heads back downstairs. She makes her way outside, heading towards what would be the best odds of being the mayor's office.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-18, 12:29 PM
Aerowyn half-smiles, sticking the blunt end of his spear to the ground as if it were a walking stick, "Good morning. I am simply halfway to nowhere in my wanderings, though I have heard talk of goblin trouble. Is Oakhurst in need of any aid?"

nolongerchaos
2015-01-18, 12:39 PM
"Why, thank you for the cider. I did in fact sleep well. The accommodations were quite satisfactory; I thank you.
To be honest, I'd hoped to pick up on some gossip last night, but was so weary from my travels that I was forced to retire early. I don't really know much about Oakhurst or it's inhabitants, though last night I thought I overheard something about goblins raiding merchants for some sort of magical foot. Any chance you'd be willing to fill a traveler in on the local goings-on while there aren't too many other patrons clamoring for attention?"

Razia begins to slowly eat his stew while waiting for a response.

I don't know what skill you want me to roll for this, so if one is needed I'll just let you roll it for me.

Also, I forgot to purchase a dagger for utility, so if possible I'd like to swing by the smith's place before things get under way.

Sandviper
2015-01-18, 04:36 PM
Kurthumalk its a little upset now... he was supposed to be near this town, but somehow, his nose has failed him. I snap out of the deeper burn that comes to my mind, blowing air out of my nostrils in an upset way..
should i go left... or should i go right? he keeps an eye on the spires of smokes to the south.. but looking at the cleared surroundings.. an unsettling feeling goes through my back.
I wouldn't like to find some organized band of goblins with no place to hide.. would i?.. perhaps it's time to find some muscle... but there's is something down this road... something big... something burning... and it's not just a camp fire.. the deeper burn feeling, comes back to me. and with swift move... i turn my back to the south and head north, trying to find this town..

he's not a big fan of towns... but it seems to be a good place to hunt for adventurers.

Jthw
2015-01-19, 02:12 AM
Graros walks up, with his wolf animal companion in tow, to the dwarf and elf asking "Excuse me, are either of you residents of Oakhurst? I've heard of this strange fruit that is supposedly magical in some way, do either of you know where I might find one of these fruits?"

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-19, 02:37 AM
Aerowyn stiffens up at the sight of the wolf; his grip on the spear tightens. He keeps his composure, though. "Nay, friend." He looks to the half-elf woman, as if expecting a reply from her.

tape_measure
2015-01-19, 11:26 PM
Graros & Aerowyn

The half elf pauses her task for a moment and gives you both a once over in judgement, "If you are looking for trouble, or adventure regarding that fruit then you need to speak with the mayor, Mr. Leng. I believe he should be making his appearance at the tavern any moment now. He likes his biscuits fresh and hot." She smiles a half grin and motions her head toward the center of town. "We only ask that you mind your manners, and your pets." She gives the wolf a dart with her eyes Graros before meeting yours, "Local law enforcement has their hands full right now." She gives another half smile as she goes about making sure straps are taunt on the horses side.

Cosette

As you move back down the stairs, you find a scene peculiar unfolding before you. The front door swings wide open and small, round man with a guilty grin enters and begins looking about the room as if there were someone he were expecting. The young girl from earlier immediately stops what she is doing and scampers to him, "Mr. Leng! Join us for breakfast again?" She cozies up to the man and rubs the roundest part of his stomach which draws a blush and deep chuckle from the man.

He moves to wrap an arm around her, but she quickly darts out of the way to get a chair pulled for (an act he clearing understands) Yes, Helda. These biscuits are vital to me making at least one good mayoral discussion today." He miles to here and sits with a flop.

It seems fate is on your side and take the last step off of the stair landing.

Razia

The girls nods as she makes herself comfortable standing at the table side, "There is a story that is worth hearing, friend. But, I really think you should get in touch with our mayor regarding it. He has enough answers to all the questions I know very little about." She moves to look out the window, "Its about time for him to show his fat a-"

The door to the inn swings wide and the girl curses to herself, "You'll have to excuse me. Looks like fate is on your side today as well." She shoots you a quick smile before attending to the guest.

Notes:
- please read the end of Cosette's part above
- you can have the dagger in the gear of you like (deducted appropriately) unless you want to use it as a means to get out and about in the town for other tasks
- when in doubt, go ahead and roll. I'll make these less than desirable rolls for PCs all day. You'll get a more favorable outcome if you are doing them as apart of role playing though

Kurthumalk

The smell lingers in your brain as you continue along the path. It was smell you have a profound memory of, yet can not recall the last time you had smelled it. It definitely warrants more investigation of that area when time permits. The land was just barren to be a natural occurrence.

The town comes into full view and you can see it coming to life as you enter the outskirts. Many buildings stand along either side of the road as it veers through town, around a well in the center, and on again to South. You can vendor setting up shop in the center of town to dell their wares for the day; a few wagons are being pushed and pulled transporting large masses of woods, furs, and other materials; in the distance a clanging of a blacksmiths hammer can be heard piercing through the other white noise of the city.

You haven't drawn any attention to yourself just yet, but no one has stopped to look directly at you either. Seems this town has a routine, with or without travelers.

Not that it makes a TON of meaning, you were traveling South. Sorry for the confusion.

Cardea
2015-01-19, 11:41 PM
She sighs, looking at the man. A bad joke? She hated mayors like that. She pulls the necklace'd badge and affixes it to her chest. She breathes in, trying to retain some sense of formality, and walks the rest of the way down the stairs, walking up to the Mayor. She keeps her stern look, the slight scowl. "Young miss Helda has told me you have a job you can offer to someone with some muscle. Could I trouble you to hear more about it before you eat?"

Jthw
2015-01-20, 12:24 AM
Graros smiles slightly from the idea of his animal companion causing trouble to anyone. Just as a measure to stay safe Graros says in Sylvan "Heel Doken" to his companion to re-insure Doken needs to stay near him in a strange city. He then says to the half-elf "I thank you for this information," nods at her politely, and heads off in the direction of the tavern looking for the mayor, Mr. Leng.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-20, 05:03 AM
"Hm." Ask if they want assistance, and they call you a trouble-seeker. Ah well, lawfolk are often like this, or so he's heard. Couldn't hurt to go hear out this "mayor" (elder?). Aerowyn simply nods slightly at the half-human, then turns to go look for a building that appears to be a tavern.

Sandviper
2015-01-21, 08:28 AM
Along the way something about that spirals of smoke in the sky, trouble my minds.... something its pulling me towards there, but i can't go alone.... as i finally see the town coming into view, i try to keep a low profile... usually guards just look at me, and freak out when they realize what i am... i try to avoid any of them If I'm able to, and just go through town minding my own bussines as always...

speaking to my self finally i came to this town... not very impressed, but once again.. what was i expecting? i guess.. i should go looking for some information, rumors...or adventurers.... and that place would be.. a tavern of course.. what better place than that?
hopefully there won't be many people around... so i can go as un noted as possible.

I go around town looking for a tavern or an Inn.. as soon as i find one.. I go in, try to find a place to sit and listen to what people its talking. eavesdropping some times results great for finding rumors.

tape_measure
2015-01-21, 10:39 AM
Cosette

The mayor smiles as you approach. "Please. I'll always make time for such a pretty face. I am mayor of Oakhurst, Vurner Leng. Please have a seat." He motions his hand to the chair across from him and flops back to his chair. He nods slowly as he begins, "Its true, we have had some concerns as of late here in our quiet town. We have always had strange travelers that have blown through. I have tried as best I could to make sure Oakhurst as been tolerant and open to every creature."

Almost by design, the door to the inn opens revealing a small creature entering. You make a quick glance and can tell some definitive features of a lizard race. The creature takes a quick look about the tavern and moves to a table, seemingly wanting to keep to itself. The mayor nods to the creature as it walks by and looks back to you, "You see? Most small cities would have run that creature through a spike and planted it outside the gates."

Helda returns with a bowl of biscuits that seem to be slightly larger than the one you had. She smiles, "Looks like Cookie added an extra biscuit for you, sir." She smiles cleverly as steps back just enough to stay out of his reach.

"Helda, you and Cookie know how to treat me just right." She smiles and moves away as she notices the new patron. Pulling the bowl close, and grabbing the spoon brought with it, the mayor begins breaking apart the biscuits as the door to the inn opens again as two more patrons enter the inn. This time, an elf is followed by human who, in turn, has a wolf in tow. It would seem the inn is quickly filling.

The mayor nods to the new people entering and eyes the wolf carefully. "Listen, this problem or ours is something serious for us. We have had a stirring of goblins in the area over the last year and we have tried to resolve this issue. They brought us lies to our doorstep and we sent out a group to seek out answers. Unfortunately, the attempt was not enough and we have a few members of our community that have gone missing." He pulls a large spoonful from the bowl and blows on it slightly, "We need to find these sons and daughters of Oakhurst and return them to us." He blows that spoonful again and takes the bite with a big grin. He swallows hard, "I hope that you do not mean to take a such pretty face out all alone, do you?"

Kurthumalk

As you move through the town, you find an establishment with a faded sign above it reading "The Ol Boar Inn." You take another look around the street for a moment before pushing the heavy door open. Inside, you find a typical tavern entrance to an inn. To the right, you see an elderly, fat man seated with a young lady. The man nods to you as you move past and you continue to scan the area as indiscreetly as possibly. Another patron dressed in a long coat and a grey shirt seated enjoying a bowl of stew. Behind the bar, a large bellied man is cleaning the area. He looks up from his work and gives you a quick nod before continuing to work.

As you sit, a young girl whisks by with a steaming bowl of what looks like gravy and biscuits for the fat man and lady at the front of the room. You can hear the small talk they make and as the girl approaches you can see her faces sour just slightly. "What can I get you?" Her tone isn't terrible cold, but it is clearly not the same as it was with the fat man just a moment ago.

Graros & Aerowyn

Having the same information, the two of you move toward the inn as described before. The town seems to come alive around you as merchants are setting up shop in the center of town around a well. You push open the door and find a room with more empty tables than patrons. A large barkeep is behind the bar cleaning off last night and setting up shop for the day. He gives you a quick look and nod to acknowledge the two of you. A young girl has her back to you as she is attending a patron in front of you. Seated in the middle of the room, young man is stirring a bowl of stew and blowing off the top layer of steam. To the right as you enter, an older mound of a man is seated with a young lady. The man gives you a nod before returning to their conversation.

All: Please read the conversation in Cosette's part as if you can hear the mayor clearly wherever you have entered. He is boisterous and loud and rarely keeps his voice low.

Cardea
2015-01-21, 11:37 AM
"The compliments and concerns are unnecessary, Mr. Leng. I'm just a soldier," Cosette said, half-lying. She hadn't been fully recognized, yet. Not yet oathsworn. But it wouldn't be a hick like him to know about oaths. "If you have men to spare, they'd be welcome. But I need to know what, exactly, the problem is."

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-21, 03:56 PM
Wordlessly, Aerowyn walks over to the table with the mayor and pulls out a chair. As he is sitting down, he moves his sword so that it lays across his lap rather than hanging awkwardly from his side. He then leans back a bit and stays quiet. It's often better to watch and listen than to wade right in, or so he thinks.

Sandviper
2015-01-21, 10:26 PM
I look at the weitress, undo my hood and reply kindlyyour services won't be needed today, kind woman... i just found what i came looking for steping back from the table... i move towards the mayor and company.

Excuse my interruption... but sir, did you just mention goblins... some kind of trouble with them, and missing people?... it would be too much coincidence but... those goblins you talk about... are they the same group doing bussiness with a magical fruit? pausong for a minute....and looking at the fat man oh! How rude...Kurthumalk the bard, at your services... i take a chair and pull it closer, and take a sit.
Looking at the soldier...
Greetings... female soldier, excuse my interrumption... but the moment i heard of goblins... my blood started to boil.. kurthumalk the bard its my name. Hope i'm not causing you much trouble... looking at both of them.. i wait for an answer

Jthw
2015-01-22, 01:30 AM
Graros follows Aerowyn's example and goes to the mayor's table to sit down at an open seat. After Kurthumalk's mention of the magical fruit Gragros perks up and pays more attention saying "I am also interested in this magical fruit that I have been hearing about, where might I find more information about them Mr. Leng?"

nolongerchaos
2015-01-22, 11:11 AM
Ah, magical fruit. That makes much more sense than a magical foot. Goblins, kidnap, seems like quite a mess. Well, I imagine tracking down Viruun would be easier if I were in the mayor's favor, and he seems rather genial. I'd better hear what all of this is about before blindly offering my services though...

Razia finishes his stew in silence, observing the interactions with interest. This mayor is not typical of those he'd seen in other villages.

tape_measure
2015-01-23, 11:16 AM
The mayor goes to respond to you Cosette as the crowd grows at his table. He listens as he takes a few bites in between. Seeing an opportunity to address the group, he takes a larger bite and follows it with a long drink. Looking about the bar, he leans closer to the four of you at his table, "The shortest version I can offer you is this: A group of goblins came to our town about a year ago. They offered something seemingly beyond comparison. A magical fruit that would heal the eater of pain, illness, and so on..." He takes another drink from the glass and leans back slowly, "At the time, we were in the midst of a fever that was taking more lives than we could afford. Naturally, it seemed the best coarse of action for us. I had our best mage look it over and the clergy I took council with were of a like mind. We kept our swords close, and our coins closer. After making the trade, we took the fruit and healed all that had fallen ill.

"We thought we had a good idea in growing the seeds. We had a local farmer devote many hours tending to the growing trees. He went to bed one evening with strong saplings and a vibrant farm; he woke up to barren field and up rooted trees. The logical lead was that the goblins came and took what they believed to be theirs. We spent the winter discussing ideas. The best we came up with was a group to explore the area and find where these goblins are holed up. Now, after three weeks went by with no word, it seems like the worst idea we've ever had." He stops and looks about the group with a strange smirk on is face.

"Once the fear of the group not returning, we sent out word to a few local towns seeking assistance in tracking down the group we sent to track down the goblins. This time, though, we are looking for more experienced professionals." He shifts in his seat to become more comfortable, "There were two young adults that belong to a local merchant, the Hucrele's. They have offered up a reward for the son and daughter of 500 gold per child." He pauses for a moment to look about the group once more, "I assume that you are all interested in the value of the reward more so than the delightful story." Stopping once more, you can almost see the arrogance on his face as we removes an ornate pipe from his waistcoat and begins poking about at the remnants.

Sandviper
2015-01-23, 11:53 AM
kurthumalk with some anger in his face.... Those basterds... so they sell this fruit, and afterwards take the seed back?... i have to admit, thats an effective way to keep your business running. looking at the major So was it effective? the fruit i mean... you got rid of the fever? you see how his reptiloid face, doesn't change its features with different feelings.. but there's something odd with his eyes... they are almost shinning, as things get more and more interesting. i wait for an answer to this and afterwards keep with the interogatory.

very well then.... is there anyone.. who ate the fruit, that i can talk to?... it should be interesting to hear the journey of a miracle, a fruit that can cure any illness.. thats something... very precious... once again.. the shinning in his eyes its almost scary... it's desire what your see? This hucreles family... can you tell us a little more about them?this kiddos... where they adventurers.. or just pretended to be?

While i look at the mayor... i exchange looks with the others sitting a the table... are they.. interested as well?

Cardea
2015-01-23, 12:29 PM
"The story poses more problems. Where are these goblins coming from? Since when do goblins care about agriculture? I thought they were tribal creatures. These kids were merchant children: how well armed were they? What talents did the possess? Are there any ruins near the town?" Cosette says, annoyance showing in her voice as this... crowd, gathers. Especially the lizardrat. The kobold. She changes dialects, speaking draconic, looking at the little thing. "Dout cirau waph leirith tenpiswo, tilsin?"

"Your kind live near here, Lizard?"

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-23, 01:56 PM
"It sounds like there is a greater mind behind this." Aerowyn leans onto the table, arms crossed. "I'm in. Where do these goblins lair?"

Jthw
2015-01-24, 12:31 AM
"I couldn't pass up a chance to stop something that would knowingly destroy nature simply for anothers loss. I'm willing to do what I can to put an end to this goblin problem of yours."

Sandviper
2015-01-24, 01:38 AM
respondin to the draconicthric i´m ti leirith nymuer... noorot tir vucoti... svaklar im de magarth daseki, kii re wux ukrisir persvek nomeno xanalre??

No..i´m not from around here--- neither doi know...where im actually from,why is that you ask this...round ears?

tape_measure
2015-01-25, 10:49 AM
The mayor's face seems to imitate your words, Kuthumalk, and you can all see the anger take over as he face reddens slightly, "Yes, I suppose it is a way of keeping business flowing. The fruit seemed too good to be true, but we could not argue the help it provided our town in the short coming." He takes another drink before addressing the next question and packs the pipe with a brown substance he removes from a pocket on his waist coat, "The Hucrele children were first to healed by the fruit, as a matter of fact. Talgen was a young, clever warrior who shown signs of being able to advance quickly within the constable's duty; his sister Sharwyn, likewise, was a natural caster who seemed to need only think of magic to perform it. The other members of the group seemed just as able bodied: the paladin Pelor, I think, came to us as a traveler and was really adamant about tracking down the goblins and Karakas was another long lived deputy and scout for us. I suppose I shouldn't think of them in the past tense, should I?"HIs voice trails at the end, as if speaking to himself rather than the group.

He pauses for a moment and considers his words, "The goblins are new to us, and we haven't a clue as to where they were coming from. We had sent the group out with the hopes of just finding where they could be first, and then launch an assault if we could. Most of those that were involved in the planning - myself, Felosial our constable, members of the town watch, and of course the party - all felt that the ruined fortress along the Old Road would be the best place to start. It served us decades ago as place of fortitude, but once it was swallowed by an earthquake, it makes sense for goblins to find its crumbled walls to be of use."

He stops as the conversation continues in the harsh tongue of dragons and sensing some distress, "Please, if the two of you would like to discuss heritages, I ask that you do so outside of town. I may have been clear before, but we do offer solace and a warm meal here in Oakhurst as long as they act appropriately towards each other. It is essential to employ, trust, and reward those whose perspective, ability, and judgment are radically different from yours. It is also rare, for it requires uncommon humility, tolerance, and wisdom." The ending of his words sounded more wise than anything the mayor has said at this point and almost out of character form all that you have seen.. And, you can see in his eyes that it was not just pandering for the sake of keeping peace.

That, however, is short lived as he strikes a match and takes several large puffs from his pipe and smoke fills the table area quickly, "That is such a smooth burn..." he says to no one in particular. "Now then, any other questions I can answer, or do we have an agreement? I have waited far to long to get this problem solved. Gods know I don't want to listen to the moaning from every citizen about their woes and hard times all summer. This is supposed to a be a good year for grapes, you know."

Jthw
2015-01-25, 01:16 PM
"I would love to put an end to these goblins, I'm in."

nolongerchaos
2015-01-25, 02:59 PM
Razia rises from his chair and runs a hand though his hair before addressing the mayor.

"I ask your pardon, Your Honor, but I could not help but overhear your conversation. If I may, I would be pleased to offer what assistance I may to your town while it is in such need, to help find your lost townsfolk and to help find the culprit behind the vandalism of your fruit."

Razia pauses for a moment before continuing.

"But let it be noted that I am not yet convinced that your goblins are necessarily to blame, and I would be hesitant to initiate hostilities with them, particularly since they seem to have offered you considerable aid in your time of need..."

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-25, 03:37 PM
"We shall see where the blame lies in time, though the fortress is our only lead." He looks at the mayor, "Where does it lie, exactly?"

Sandviper
2015-01-26, 09:29 AM
Kuthumalk keeps close attention to the words of the fat man, as he dresses him in draconic.. it kind of takes him by surprise, but just listens to what he says and closes his eyes as if he was in deep meditation. while in this trance, once again the though of deep bring strikes him once again... suddenly awaking him from his trance, with one thing clear in his head, what ever lies ahead in that road, its the place to start looking for.

Sir, my services are yours... and count on me for blaming this goblins, and whom ever its behind this, goblins don't just suddendly get ranks in profession (merchant). i'll gladly get rid of them.

tape_measure
2015-01-26, 11:30 PM
The mayor slaps his hand on the table, "Now there's the spirit I'm looking for!" He says to you Graros as he smacks the table in front of him. He stamps out the smoke in the pipe, and stands up quickly. He takes an unused napkin from the pile on his bowl and opens it out on the table. Grabbing a fountain pen from his inner waist coat pocket, adjusts the ink flow, letting it spill slightly on the floor to the side and waves everyone in the area closer to the table.

He begins to draw a few squiggles on the paper, leaving holes in the thin material. Its crude, but you can see the outline of the town, the New Road passing through it, and a few squares he added to it, "Let me help you with the lay of the land as it were: This is the New Road, of course; You the Merchants Square; The Hucrele Estate; The Hucrele General Store; Corkie has her healing spells here; the outpost of Felosial's; and our resident blacksmith Lutgehr.

"Here-" He draws another line through the middle, "-is the Old Road. The old fortress lies here....ish. Less than a day's march. Close enough to get there and back within a day' hike."

He pushes the "map" forward on the table and replaces the pen to his inner pocket. "Oh, and make sure you stop in to Felosial and get any supplies you may want to take with you. She should be able to help prepare you for the journey easily enough." He gives a gorgeous, mayoral smile to the group, "You should do well. I must be off for important work lies ahead of each day when you are mayor." He nods quickly and moves to the door of the inn, "If you have any further matters, take them up Felosial while you are there. She will be of great assistance."

He pulls the door closed behind him leaving the group standing in the tavern. The sound of glasses clanging together at the bar, and the muffled noise of the street outside help keep the silence from being deafening after to the departure of the boisterous mayor.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-27, 06:26 AM
The incongruence between Felosial's likely helpfulness and the mayor's spin on her makes it easy for Aerowyn to see how the man won a leadership position. It is sad and amusing at the same time. "Let us see what the lovely constable has to say." Was that a touch of sarcasm?

Aerowyn stands, putting his sword and sheath back on his belt, then walks to the door to head to Felosial's.

Sandviper
2015-01-27, 06:40 PM
Pretty well then... i'll be heading to the hucrele estate. Sir.. you think i could speak to some one in there... just as a mere formality, Knowing that someone its doing something about this missing kids, seems appropiate. So... we should be leaving tomorrow at dawn?

Jthw
2015-01-27, 10:52 PM
Graros picks up the map napkin and follows Aerowyn out of the door. "I assume you will be going to help solve the goblin problem, best if we stay together and work together, no point in not working together." Graros turns to any and all still at the table "If any of you want to join us I am fine with it."

nolongerchaos
2015-01-28, 12:08 AM
"I suppose you can count me in. I too am interested to see what this Felosial has to say... And hopefully she can provide us with a more precise and detailed map of the area than the honorable mayors' napkin."

Razia starts for the door before coming to a stop and returning to his table, on which he places another silver coin with a smile.

"Thank you again for your hospitality, Helda."

Razia then heads for the door, following after his new associates.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-28, 04:25 AM
"If we're not all together by dawn, then we should meet here." Turning to face Graros, "Of course. I have nothing better to do, and I greatly desire to purchase a good bow. I feel nude wandering around without one. No money, though."

Sandviper
2015-01-28, 09:00 AM
Kurthumalk follows outside the establishment Meeting here at dawn, its indeed a good plan.. for the rest of you, that i haven't introduce my self properly I'm Kurthumalk, bard it's my profession.
i have no interest in buying goods... i think i'll better go talk to the hucrele's. See you later... if not, see you at dawn.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-28, 12:13 PM
"A bard, truly? Interesting. Yes, we'll meet you here, then, if not sooner." All the kobolds Aerowyn has had anything to do with were adversaries, and here he is working with one. He already has a story to tell when he goes back home.

tape_measure
2015-01-28, 12:29 PM
Kurthumalk (anyone else going with the kobold)

Moving toward the Hucrele residence, you can see why Mr. Leng said you can't miss it. A large, stone home sits fenced in back from the road with a well thatched roof that seems to be in no shape of wear. An A-frame entrance with large double doors sticks out to you as you look on as a clear sign of entry to the home. A small stone path twists slightly up to the front steps of the home and you can see a middle aged man working the hedge row into a more rounded shape from the spring rains.

Moving up the path, the man pauses at the sight of the adventuring party. With a large smile he moves closer to the group before stopping a few feet away. His dingy clothes are clearly displaying his role in the home as the grounds keeper. He pauses and gives you a concerned look, but goes back to his work while keeping an eye on you.

As you walk up, you can see inside the home through the large windows around the doors. You can see immediate the time, effort, and coin that the home making it seem more like a work of art. You find a rope set outside the door meant to get the attention of anyone inside. Giving it a hearty tug, it takes just a moment from the time a distant bells clangs out of sight for one of the double doors to open.

An elder man sticks his head out of the door. Taking a quick glance, down to you Kurthumalk, he gasps and pulls his head back in. Through the door, you can hear a muffled cry out "Please, there is nothing here of value to you! We mean no harm!" Its never easy to get that response. From the corner of your eye, you can see the groundskeeper still working, apparently not hearing the exchange.

Remainder of the group

You move through the streets with relative ease, but you can see the streets have grown more crowded than when you first came to the town. The closer you come the outpost, the more you can hear the hammering of the blacksmith grow louder and louder. You find yourselves in front of the outpost in only a few moments. Two horse are roped up feeding from the trough. As you approach the steps, the front door opens with a silver haired elf stops as if not expecting you. He looks over the group quickly, "Yes? Can we help you?" He adjusts a sword belt on his hip as he speaks.

Cardea
2015-01-28, 01:32 PM
She sighs as she approaches behind the Kobold, unsurprised by the dweller's reaction. She steps up to the door, and knocks with her fist, calling out. "The kobold isn't here to harm you. We're here on behalf of Oakhurst and the Mayor, investigating the Goblins and the missing kids, Talgen and Sharwyn Hucrele."

Edit: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Jthw
2015-01-28, 03:09 PM
Graros, addressing Aerowyn says "I do have a meager amount of gold to spare, as long as you are willing to pay me back at a later time I am fine with giving you some gold but I'm not sure if it is enough for a good bow as all I have to spare is 20 gold."
Then Graros mentally acknowledges the conflict before him and stay silent as it does seem the woman in front of him is has it enough under control that any of Graro's efforts at this point would be moot.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-28, 06:18 PM
"Keep your gold, friend. I will get a bow in time."

Arriving at the constable's outpost, Aerowyn responds to the silver-haired elf, "The mayor has asked us to find the Hucrele youths. Our only lead is the ruined fortress out along the Old Road, where the suspect goblins are thought to lair. Before we go and stir up any trouble, we thought it best to ask your advice in this matter, and perhaps some better directions than what the mayor gave us."

He seems unfriendly; let's call that a diplomacy check to warm him up a bit, and perhaps have a better impression of us.

nolongerchaos
2015-01-28, 10:23 PM
Razia accompanies Aerowyn to the constables' outpost.

"The mayor has asked us to find the Hucrele youths. Our only lead is the ruined fortress out along the Old Road, where the suspect goblins are thought to lair. Before we go and stir up any trouble, we thought it best to ask your advice in this matter, and perhaps some better directions than what the mayor gave us."

With a courteous smile, Razia makes small bow of his head towards the silver haired elf.

"Indeed, the mayor informed us that Constable Felosial would be able to assist us in preparing for our venture, and that we could find her here. The mayor was only able to provide us with a rough sketch of the town and the area in which he suggested we begin our search for the missing Hucreles. We did not wish to continue to impose upon the mayor's time, but I was also hoping to learn more of the incident regarding the magic fruit, which apparently in turn led to the disappearances. We would greatly appreciate any assistance with which you could provide us, even if it is merely to point out Constable Felosial for us."

Razia attempts to assist Aerowyn with the elf.
Aid Another: [roll0]

Sandviper
2015-01-29, 09:34 AM
kurthumalk its more than used to this kinds of welcoming.... but its never easy, to be recieved like that... it often reminds him of his many different kobold tribes, as he was moked, but in the end.. they all died, and Kurthumalk remains.Worry not, sire... i´m not here, to take anything from you... neither you would have noticed me if that was my intention at first. So fear me if you want... i know how i look like to you, and you humans are way too judgamental. but unless you are Mr. Hucrele master of the house, i have no bussiness with you.
I´m Kurthumalk, i´m here on behalve of my company of explorers, under Mr. Leng commands, i request word with the master of this estate, Mr/Mrs hucrele...in regards of their missing childs.

Kurthumalk awaits in the door, to see the response

tape_measure
2015-01-29, 01:31 PM
Cosette, Graros, Kurthumalk

The man behind the door peers out more from his safe side. He eye balls the group with a stern look. He nods to the words spoken, but you can clearly see the concern still lingering. "If you please. I....I will go and fetch the Lady."

The door closes back and soft foot falls leave the door. You are left there in the morning sun for only a moment or so before the door swing open wider this time. The man is standing, holding the door for you. "The Lady Hucrele will see you in the lounge. If you please, follow me."

He opens the door and slowly waves a hand in to a vestibule with polished oak benches lining the side walls large room with a tall ceiling. Along the back wall, a stair case winds itself back through the middle of the room. You do not get much chance to look about the room before the man ushers you along a short hallway. What you do get to see is vibrant, well kept and very expensive. Down the hallway, the man stops at a set of double doors. Pushing them open, you find yourself in a slightly smaller room with moldings 6 plush, round seats that fill the room centered around two chair toward the middle of the room closer to the back wall. Intricate moldings adorn the ceiling attached by well carved wooden walls. Along those walls, several paintings hang depicting murals of what you can only guess as members of the family Hucrele. Each one is not only similar in face, but is stance and attire. All except one over the fireplace; the only woman of the group.

"Ok, Where are they? Here in the lounge?" You can hear a woman's voice echoing through the hall along with foot steps of what sounds like hard heeled boots. The man from the door disappears into the hall and his muffled voice can be heard, though unclear.

A woman appears in the doorway, dressed in a short coat, very thin riding pants and tall riding boots. Her face is drawn tight as she looks about the room. She pause on you Melanie and focuses her eyes, allowing them to squint just slightly as she looks you over. The pony tail on her head would normally suggest a younger age for her, but the longer she stands here, the more you can recognize her as the woman from the painting. "You have come inquiring the reward for my children, yes? I assume you spoke to the louse of a mayor or Felosial, too? What more assist could I provide you?" While her tone is short and to the point, something tells you her position nearly requires it.

Aerowyn and Razia
The elf lightens his expression as you explain. He nods and takes a step back to the door. Opening it and leaning back into the doorway he speaks to someone unseen, "Felosial, the mayor has sent a pair of adventurers to you." You see him nod and he turns to you, "She'll see you." He steps aside for you and moves towards a horse tied up in the front.

Stepping up and into the outpost, you take note of the plain setting inside. Four desks line the outer walls , each tidy and cleaned to perfection. Behind the middle desk, a young half-elf sits with a longsword strapped to her hip. She adjusts the sword and gives you both an evaluating glance. "Have a seat. I think you'll need a few more swords than just the two of you" She stands with a wide gate and gives a squinted look to your Aerowyn, "You were from before weren't you? Where's the man that came with you?"

Cardea
2015-01-29, 04:30 PM
"We were lead to believe the reward was for dealing with the Goblins. But yes, we are here about them as well. Could you give us a description of the children? Height? Hair color? Anything you can share helps with our search." She says, pulling out a small sheaf of paper and a nub of charcoal.

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-29, 07:10 PM
"There are three others with us, including him. They have gone to the Hucrele residence to speak with that family."

nolongerchaos
2015-01-29, 11:28 PM
Razia steps forward and takes the offered seat.

"Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Razia. My fellow associates and I had a chance to speak with Mayor Leng earlier in the Ol' Boar Inn. He was able to give us an overview of the town's dealing with goblins in regards to some magical fruit, the razing of the fruit you in turn planted, as well as the disappearance of the group sent to track the goblins. He also advised us that we should consider starting our search at the Old Fort.

Personally however, based on the impression he left me with, I'm not sure I'd immediately trust mayor's word on how best to locate your missing townsfolk. On the other hand, I would imagine you to have a bit better understanding of what's been going on on the ground around here, Constable. If you don't mind, I'd like to hear your opinion on these troubling events; the despite the mayor's words, I'm not yet convinced the goblins were necessarily to blame for the pillaging your attempt to grow a magical orchard..."

Jthw
2015-01-29, 11:45 PM
Graros says in sylvan to his animal companion "Stay Doken, people rarely like animals in their homes." taking out a small piece of chicken for Doken to eat while waiting in a preferably shaded area nearby the door. He then follows the lead into the manor and stays silent, looking at the paintings but still paying attention to the conversation so as not to seem rude.

tape_measure
2015-01-30, 12:35 PM

Lady Hucrele nods, "The payment is for the children's safe return. The goblins are a second thought as far I am concerned." She paces a few steps and stands next to one of the round chairs, "My children look much like me, thankfully. Their father was..." She seems to shake off the thought before letting it out into the open. "Talgen, my boy, is tall and blonde and very good with a sword. Terrible with horses, but so was his father. Always interested in testing his mettle." She moves again and looks to the picture of herself for a moment as she talks again, "Sharwyn was more like myself. Well, they were both the same really. Being twins." She turns back to the group with a hand on her elbow, "She is also tall, and very blonde. She was very well gifted with magical arts." Her voice trailed for a moment, "I...really shouldn't speak as if she were already gone..." The look of of frustration on her face turned to sorrow as she finished.

Aerowyn and Razia

Felosial nods as you speak, Razia. "Seems the mayor has told you much and more." She moves briskly to another chair and pulls it up, "Goblins only come to towns for one reason." She gives gesture of her hand as if you already knew that, "About 18 months ago, we were hit with a plague of sorts. More of a fever. Not long after, a band of goblins appeared at the gates. We took 3 of them down before they surrendered. and we took them hostage. After much questioning, we determined that they had some magical fruit that was to end our worries."

Her brow furrows as she continues, "Mr. Leng had found his cure, his Lillithilli De'Impresithe* as it were. it worked, of course, and Leng, for as impractical as has been, had a great idea to grow more." She paused for a moment, "We spent many hours, days, ]weeks growing the trees. One late spring morning the farmer came to us claiming they had been stolen from the ground. Naturally we investigated the area and found tracks that looked to have been cleaned up. Those tracks took us into the woods then disappeared."

She shifted in her seat and continued, "We spent weeks searching the area, even the abandoned citadel. We gave up on it as other issues took precedence in the town. We decided back in the winter to send out a small party to search for the goblins. We only wanted them gone for a week, tops. Now, Mr.-" She stops, takes a deep breath, and adjust her sword again, "We have sent out for more help. Please do not take any offense to my regards of this situation. I am more upset that this is happening on my watch."

Standing now, still adjusting her sword belt, "We can only assume they are holed up in the Sunless Citadel...that hole in the ground that swallowed the Old Fort decades ago...but we don't have the resources to spend days, or even hours touring the subterranean death trap. It won't be easy. Did he at least offer a reward this time?" He stops to ask the pointed question.

* - Elven (for those that speak it) for Lilly in the Weeds, an expression that means to find an easy answer for a problem that needs more attention.

Cardea
2015-01-30, 01:39 PM
"No ma'am, you should not," Cosette says, writing down their descriptions. She folds the paper, putting them in her pouch. "People are alive until a corpse is found. We'll find them. Don't you worry. My associates may have further questions, if you don't mind."

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-30, 07:21 PM
"Not quite, no. He mentioned that the Hucrele's were offering a reward for the return of their children."

Sandviper
2015-01-31, 07:44 AM
Well... madam, i´m very pleased to make your aqueintance... kurthumalk it´s my name... no in a more serious tone... and what if... they are indeed gone?... i looki straight to the eyes of lady hucrele. i consider my self a realist... they may be very skilled, but there is someone, out there.. that could be better than them... they being ¨gone¨ its a posibility also... a month has passed... Kurthumak aprochess the lady....in that case.. our capaign to bring the boys back... seem to find a major loophole.. if we do find the kiddos...but are un able to return... how shall we proceed?

tape_measure
2015-01-31, 02:04 PM

The Hucrele matriarch doesn't flinch at the idea, but you can see the shine of tears growing in her eyes as the thought processes. She takes a moment, as though talking herself up in her head, "The thought has crossed my mind, lizard. Hope still remains until proof renders it useless. I'll cross that bridge emotionally when it arrives." Her voice only quivers once while she spoke. She composes herself quickly, though, and returns to form, "My apologies. I will have to deal with the loss of my dear children, but I refuse to believe they are dead, yet. The reward is written so that proof of life, or demise as it were, will be given the sum. Whatever deal that has been arranged with the mayor is only payable through him and his...office." the last word was dripping with spite and anger. Clearly she is not a fan of the mayor or his stature here in Oakhurst.

Aerowyn and Razia

Felosial shook her head, "Figures. I'll work that part out myself. This won't be an easy mission to say the least. I can gather a few odds and ends for supplies. Just give me a moment or so."

She moves to a room off of the main room. After a few minutes of clanging and banging in the back room she reappears with arms full of gear. Laying it out on the table she continues, "You said there are 5 in the party? I think this should all help. Take a look. Anything in particular you might need other that and I may have to sell a horse." She smirks a bit as she lays out the supplies on a nearby desk.

Add the following to supply list:

Rope: 50' x3
Torch: x4
lantern: x3
oil: x2
grappling hook
climbers kitx5
trail rations: x10

Seharvepernfan
2015-01-31, 04:06 PM
Genuinely thankful, Aerowyn responds, "This will certainly be helpful. You have our sincerest thanks. This Sunless Citadel....is it within a gorge or cave? I take it you expect us to need to climb at some point."

Sandviper
2015-01-31, 04:13 PM
Well.. it seems that, we have found ourselves in a cross roads... a little bit ahead of what i expected. Seem that the mayor it's taking advantage of the reward you are offering.. and making us doing some extra work... or am i just miss understanding? i walk around in the space we are at... and, take a sit on the biggest chair in the room...it's just me or.... am i detecting some... "not so much affection" between the both of you?...
interested in what kind of relation these two have.. perhaps we can find a way to make things work for both of our interest.

Jthw
2015-02-01, 09:28 PM
"Personally I don't mind if we get the money for getting the kids back or killing all goblins within a hundred miles of the area. I want these kids back, the goblins gone, and personally I want some of the magical fruits to learn more about them. The fact that we get paid I am just more the happier." Noticing he should probably say something reassuring to her, he adds "I will make sure we do whatever we can to bring your children back."

nolongerchaos
2015-02-01, 09:51 PM
"This will certainly be helpful. You have our sincerest thanks. This Sunless Citadel....is it within a gorge or cave? I take it you expect us to need to climb at some point."

"Indeed, we are most grateful for your generosity, Ms Felosial. If it is not too much to ask, by any chance do you happen to have a map of the area around the Citadel that you could spare for us? The mayor scribbled out a rough layout of the town and the location of the Citadel on a napkin, but that won't be much use to us should we need to find refuge in the area surrounding the Citadel. I haven't all that much coin, but I would still be willing to pay what I can."

Razia then turns to Aerowyn.

"If you would care for any of these supplies, please take them. I think for now I will pack up the rest, until we can distribute them to our other companions."

Razia then reaches down and pulls a sack from where it attached to the exterior of his his bag and begins to carefully pack the supplies into the sack.

For now, I've added all of the supplies to my character sheet if that's alright. I'll remove things from my sheet as you all speak up for them/take them.

tape_measure
2015-02-02, 11:45 AM

She nods to the kind words from Graros, and you can see her mood perk before the mentioning of the mayor. Her lips tighten as she speaks, "We don't see eye to eye on much these days. He has does his duty to our city well enough and takes whatever he needs to get the job done." She folds her hands over each other as she stands still clearly perturbed at the thought fo the mayor. "He enjoys the title as well he should. And, he has helped our family through this trying time."

Razia & Aerowyn

Felosial smirks a bit, "I'm afraid there really isn't much to map out. I think I can have something around here, though." She moves to another desk and begins flipping through a few pages that were sorted together in a slot at the top of the desk. "Aha! Here we go!

She pulls out a sheet from the stack and lays the map flat on the desk, motioning you both to the desk.

http://i.imgur.com/ZaJwGjb.png

She points on the map, "The land around the fissure is mostly desolate. Life has never grown back since the dragon Ashardalon decimated it decades ago. Personally, I think that's what weakened the land and sucked the fortress into the earth. There is the small wooded area close to the crag, here, but you never know what could be lurking there at this point." She stops and gives a bit of a smirk,"Last patrol we had sent there, before the ill fated group, came back talking of lizard folk. But, that's been nearly a year now, though."

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-02, 01:38 PM
"Ah, most helpful." He waves a finger at no one in particular, "This may save us from a potential ambush. It might be wise to veer off the Old Road at this point, going between these two hills here..." He traces his finger along the map in a proposed new route.

http://i62.tinypic.com/350jdx1.png

Sandviper
2015-02-02, 02:02 PM
Hmmm, fair enough... in that case my lady, its there anything else i can help you with?.. Kurthumalk looks, at the lady from where he sits.. and awaits for an answer.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-03, 11:53 AM
"This may save us from a potential ambush. It might be wise to veer off the Old Road at this point, going between these two hills here..."

"A good idea, I would also rather not deal with the lizardfolk if we can avoid it. Hopefully they haven't expanded whatever their operations are in the past year... oh well, I suppose we'll find out one way or another."

tape_measure
2015-02-05, 11:45 PM
Cosette, Kurhtumalk, Graros

The lady shakes her head, "I can't think of anything that you could do for me other than finding my children." She pauses for a moment, as if the realization had just taken hold, "There are more than just the three of you, yes? I don't mean to offend, but I can't see there being much use in this expedition if t is true." Her eyes are more filled with much more scrutiny as she looks about the room once more.

Aerowyn & Razia

Felosial nods, also, as your finger marks the trail "The hills will be good for overseeing, yes. Just, do be wary of wandering into the wooded areas. Like I said earlier, its been too long since we have been out there. I worry each day more and more." She stands more upright, backing away from the plotting and planning of the map, something she clearly enjoyed.

Cardea
2015-02-05, 11:54 PM
Cosette internally shudders with the words she's about to say. "No, Miss. The rest of our squadron is gathering necessary supplies, and meeting us outside of town. We're only here to get more information before we all leave. Which, we will do now, with your leave." She bows slightly, and turns to leave, waving for Kurhtumalk and Graros to follow.

I'm good with moving forward.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-06, 10:37 PM
"Thank you again for your advice and generosity, Constable. We'll try to make note of anything we see out there for you. And now I think it best if we were on our way, we don't want to hold you up any further, as I'm sure you have many demands on your time. And thank you again for your assistance, it has been invaluable."

Razia rises from his seat and shoulders the sack and makes for the door.

Sandviper
2015-02-07, 07:13 AM
Thank you for you time I head out of the manor.. checking the sky to see how late it is... and possible look for the rest of the ¨squad¨

tape_measure
2015-02-07, 11:32 PM
The separate groups find themselves finishing respectively at about the same time. Meeting back at the inn, the discussion of the donating of supplies by the constable Felosial was addressed and those needing more material are able to get them before the noon hour has fully completed. With only a few hours left of sunlight, the group is fortunate enough to be given rooms by the inn keeper who had overheard the conversation earlier that morning. He does not charge for the rooms tonight, mentioning "billing the mayor" with a strange wink. He was even able to give more information throughout the course of the afternoon/evening as dinner of stew and a stringy meat was served.

The abandoned fortress had stayed on the back burner of many people's minds for many years. He does recall one man with an overgrown frog as a traveling companion over a decade ago that had questioned the fortress, but he had never seen him again since that day. The missing man had only caused more rumors to float around for a few weeks back then. Since then, the Old Road had gone mostly untraveled except for a few scouting missions here and there.

The evening passes without much else except for a few drunken words being thrown around by some locals having had just a little too much. The group heads to their separate rooms to prepare for the adventure that starts first thing in the morning.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Morning comes quickly with anticipation at its heels. You find yourselves eager and ready to go at first light as the biscuits are being taken from the over. The young waitress has given you each two of the hot biscuits wrapped up in a faded handkerchief and she sends the group out of the front door with a smile. The barkeep has offered to hold rooms if you think it needed, but would not accept a fee to hold them. You can only assume there isn't much travel this time of year, though, something brought you out before the last frost, too.

You again find yourselves on the road in the middle of town early in the morning, looking over the map Felosial had given Aerowyn and Razia. The plan was detailed about setting out from the road before the last of the foothills, just in case the creatures of the area have been able to set up some sort of trap.

Setting off along the Old Road, you make your way to the large fissure sketched out. The large plain area that is noted on the map sticks out to each of you as set off from Oakhurst. The land is desolate and barren with only a few small patches of grass where life seems to attempt a return to the area. This dried land stretches out for miles, beyond the horizon and on to the foothills of the mountains in the distance. Kurtumalk, you can again smell the deep burned smell of the land and the strange tickle in your nose returns.

It doesn't take but 5 hours, barring only a few short stops before you find yourselves at the foot hill marked on the map. The road would have been easier to travel had it not been as overgrown as it was. As you stand on top of the last small hills, you can easily see the area pretty well. The few areas of growth seemed to dwindled since the last time this map was made, but you can easily make out the large ravine ahead.

The Old Road passes to the east of the ravine. At the road's closest approach to the cleft, several broken pills jut from the earth where the ravine widens and opens into something more akin to a deep, but narrow canyon. Two of the pillars stand straight, but most of them lean against the sloped earth, Others are broken, and several have apparently fallen into the darkness-shrouded depths. A few similar pillars are visible on the opposite side of the ravine.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-08, 02:10 AM
Aerowyn stands in the late morning sun, at the beginning of the downward slope of the last hill, spear in hand. He has spent the last several minutes quietly peering at the ruins and their general direction.

That would be a take 20 on a spot check, result of 30.

Sandviper
2015-02-08, 02:19 PM
Kurthumalk sensed the smell of fire again... and a strange flashback comes back to him, for just a few seconds he sees himself trying to sip water from a pool, but his lips sewed shut, immobilized and a pair of white claws coming out of the boiling water..... quickly he snaps out of it and realizes they are already (close??) and takes a deep breath trying to guide him self with the nose....

yesterday i saw a column of smoke, i guess it was coming from here... Does anyone, sees something? an out post? guards? camps?
[roll0] looking for some kind of trace of camp fire, or... a way down.

tape_measure
2015-02-09, 10:35 AM
Looking out on the area, nothing of note can be seen that would insinuate a camp, or even a passing of creatures. The hill you stand on seems untouched for many days. The area around the ravine looks mostly the same form this vantage point. Aerowyn can barely make something tied to one of the pillars in the distance. Its faint, but it looks like a rope, though, further inspection would be needed to be confirmed.

Seeing no threat, the group moves close enough to see that it is in fact a knotted rope that has been dangled over the edge of the ravine. Looking down, you can see that it is roughly 50 feet down to a landing that seems to be made mostly of sand and loose rocks. You can make out a few bones and littered debris of carcasses below amongst larger rocks.

The slants of the ravine, and the knotted rope give hope that a descent would not take too much effort or time.

Sandviper
2015-02-09, 12:24 PM
kurthumalk, exales through is nostrils in some what a powerful way, then moves forward toward the pilars, crossbow in hand and loaded.
I get close to the pillars, and give a quick lool around, is there any signs of recent travel here?
spot 1d20+0

Are those pillars save? Where do they come from...? Are they recent? Or they might be from the old times?

finaĺly i aporach to the ravine... how deep its it? is it dark...? i take a look at the bottom... it's the rope you talked about indeed a way down?

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-09, 08:30 PM
"Hmm. I would not trust an old rope. Let's switch this one for one of ours; we'll keep it in case we need one." Aerowyn then goes about the business of untying and collecting the dangling rope, then ties knots in one of the group's ropes, before tying said rope to the same pillar with the other end around his waist and moving to stand at the edge with it held in his hands. He spends a long while looking down into the crevice. "I'll go down first and see what is there."

Elven patience in action.

If someone else has ranks in use rope, he will let them do it.

Taking 20 on another spot check.

So, we've got a new knotted rope, tied around the same pillar, with the other end around Aerowyn's waist, and he is going to climb down in no rush to take a look, assuming he can see with his low-light vision. However, if he sees anything dangerous, he might not go down depending on what it is.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-09, 09:58 PM
"Very well, we will keep watch while you decend."

Razia looks at the older rope that had previously been tied to the pillar.

"I wonder if this belonged to the previous group... do you think your wolf moght be able to learn anything from it good sir?

Also we should decide in which order the rest of us will follow."

Jthw
2015-02-10, 01:16 AM
"I don't see how it could hurt to try" Graros says to Razia as he pulls out a piece of cloth given to him by the mayor and lets Doken get a good smell of it and then brings up the old rope to have Doken compare the smells. Might this rope be used by the goblins? Is it from the previous group?

[roll0] I'm not sure what to actually roll but it feels like I need to so I'm rolling survival as if it was tracking by scent.

tape_measure
2015-02-10, 08:52 AM
Kurthumalk

Taking a look at the area, you can see some travel but it is very faint and hard to really determine with out some uncertainty how long ago it has been. (ooc: I rolled a 4 since your roll did not work apparently) The rope looks fairly new, though, and does not have a lot of wear or tear to it. It seems logical for it to have been the very rope from the group before you.

Looking down into the ravine allows you to see a landing about 50' down. The darkness makes it hard to point out the exact area, but it looks like a good landing spot for anyone using the rope to climb down the slanted walls. The knots in the rope and the occasional hand or foot holds that line the wall would seem to allow even the less trained to be able to get down easily.

The pillars are definitely old as to your best determination. The main thing to take away is the graffiti that is sprawled all over them in dwarven and goblin. It takes a moment to really understand what the message is since the scribbling mix together. A WARNING TO THOSE WHO ENTER HERE message is clear in both languages though. Again, it is really hard to decipher more than a few words from the weathering and overlapping of dwarven runes and goblin scrawls.

Aerowyn

You can easily see the landing and the debris of a few skeletal remains below you as you look over the edge into the darkness. The rope you replaced does seem as if it would be strong enough to hold, so having two people go down is not out of the realm of possibility as there are also plenty of had or foot holds that can be used to traverse the inclined wall easily. As you look out into the ravine, darkness swallows most of the area due to the distance across and beyond the landing just below you.

Graros

Doken takes a few strong sniffs of the rag and snorts loudly as she moves away to sniff the ground. She darts about the area quickly with a low growl as she smells and paws at the rope, the pillars, the edge of the ravine, and the area around you. She gives you a strong belief that the entire area smells like goblins.

Jthw
2015-02-10, 08:56 PM
"Well, the goblins definitely are in this area often, that is for sure. I'd suggest being ready for them when you see them. Since we all will probably have to get down there does anyone mind helping me get Doken down there?"

Sandviper
2015-02-10, 11:23 PM
Well this is it... BEWARE THOSE WHO ENTER written in goblin... seems like a good place to start. There´s a landing down there...not very good with climbing but this rope hopefully will make it easier. i´ll cover you form up here..with my crossbow, i´ll go down last.

Spot for covering them [roll0]
Climb for not dying [roll1]

nolongerchaos
2015-02-11, 12:00 AM
"Well, the goblins definitely are in this area often, that is for sure. I'd suggest being ready for them when you see them. Since we all will probably have to get down there does anyone mind helping me get Doken down there?"

"Well we can try using some of this rope to rig up a harness for it, or we might be able to try tying another rope around the pillar and lowering him down."

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-11, 05:00 AM
"Just lower him down to me." Aerowyn then moves to lower himself down to the landing.

If the DC is just 5, then he autosucceeds.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-11, 05:26 PM
"Very well, if you're alright with it sir, let's just rig up a harness and lower the wolf on down then. And you, madam, when would you prefer to desend?"

Jthw
2015-02-12, 12:24 PM
Graros takes out a length of rope. Alright I thank any of you for helping me as I'm not the best with working with rope.

Take 10 with use rope, total:12 +2 for each person helping me as with assist ally for making the harness.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-12, 01:28 PM
Razia moves forward and attempts to assist Graros in the creation of the harness for the wolf.

[roll0]

tape_measure
2015-02-12, 11:10 PM
Aerowyn

Nimble and fleet of foot, you find your way to the soft, sandy floor of the landing after only a minute or so. The first few steps were troubling, but it took no time to get used to the incline and with the help of the rope, you found the descent not bad at all. You quickly remove the rope and give it a quick tug to signal your safe landing and the rope disappears back to the surface.

Your able to take a quick look about to find the area not very large at all and littered with small bones of what reminds you of large chickens and other debris from adventures long past (half of a climbing kit, a dried torch, etc.) though nothing of note or usefulness.

Above

You manage to get a makeshift rope sling made for Doken, and after some coaxing, you are able to get it around her belly and seem to be able to have a good system of lowering her down in mind. As you move to the edge, however, the fur on the back of Doken's neck stands stiff and low growl rumbles from her gullet. The sound of danger near.

You look back down the hole and you can see 3 large rats climbing their way up from the sides of the landing. In just enough time for you to take a breath to warn Aerowyn, the first rat screeches gaining the attention of everyone around.

Aerowyn

Your eyes had adjusted to the light as it came over the ledge as you were looking back to see if Doken was ready to be lowered. Just as you lowered your eyes from adverting the light, you hear the all too familiar scamper of clawed feet over rock and then the screech that made your heart nearly jump into your throat. With a quick look over your shoulder, you see the first rat digging its claws into the sandy surface of the landing, poised for an attack.

>>Initiative time!!!<<<

map:

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/cdcross/SUnlesgrp2Base.png (http://s808.photobucket.com/user/cdcross/media/SUnlesgrp2Base.png.html)
Teal circle = Aerowyn
Black dots = rats
Rest of the group is 60' up at the ledge

Let me know if you want me to roll initiatives for the group going forward. Some groups are ok with it....others not...

Jthw
2015-02-15, 06:55 PM
Graros hurries down the rope to give assistance to his ally.

Using accelerated climb;
[roll0]

Sandviper
2015-02-16, 07:58 AM
I sense whats going on down there, and try to aim at the rats (not engaged in melee) with my crossbow

init. [roll0]
attack [roll1]
Critical [roll2]
damage [roll3]
critical damage [roll4]

*critical if needed

tape_measure
2015-02-16, 09:32 AM
rat2 - 23
Graros - 19
cosette - 16
Kurthumalk - 13
Razia 13
Rat1 - 11
Aerowyn - 10
rat3 - 7

Moving quickly, the dire rat in front of Aerowyn moves in quickly trying to take a bite at the leg but misses poorly. Its teeth chatter together quickly as it causing foam to build around its putrid jaws.

Graros, sensing the danger below moves hand of hand as quickly as he can down the wall. The foot holds that had been in place serve well to aid you along the way and you find yourself a little more than half of the way down the rope.

>>Holding for Cosette<<

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-16, 10:45 AM
Carefully dodging the inevitably-diseased rat fangs snapping all around him, Aerowyn draws his longsword in preparation to attack.

This is why you always get a spiked gauntlet at 1st level, folks. Coulda tumbled across and skirmished that slow bastard, but nooo, I'm retarded.

Total defense action (AC 20), then draw longsword, likely provoking 2 AoOs.

Cardea
2015-02-16, 11:12 AM
Cosette grabs onto the rope, sliding down, thankful for the covering on her hands. "Keep on the defense, I'll be right down!"

Double move action. Accelerated movement. Need to beat DC 0.

Climb 1: [roll0]
Climb 2: [roll1]

Edit: so I'm 20 ft. down the rope. Sweet.

Drawing a weapon doesn't provoke AoO, btw.

tape_measure
2015-02-16, 10:07 PM
Round 1 (finish)

Initiatives:

rat2 - 23
Graros - 19
cosette - 16
Kurthumalk - 13
Razia 13
Rat1 - 11
Aerowyn - 10
rat3 - 7

Cosette follows after Graros on one of the ropes that had been tied off previously. The foot holds are easy to findas you move, and you find yourself along side of Graros quickly. Aboev you can see Doken peering over the edge with half anger, and half concern as you move away into the ravine.

Kurhtumalk lets loose a bolt that lands true in the far rat (#1) and the creature screeches one last time as the blood from the mortal wound stains the ground below where it is now pinned to the floor dead.

Razia grabs a hold of the crossbow and attaches the bolt to pull the handle back as quickly as possible. He lifts the bow and takes aim at the last rat in the back, but finds he can not get the best, clear shot from where he stands. ((ooc: moves to the edge for a clear shot next round))

Aerowyn quickly unsheathes the sworn as the rats chatter vile teeth, seemingly to mock. Though, they clearly can not see the descending force belaying the side of the ravine.

The last rat moves up quickly trying to take a bits from Aerowyns legs
Attack:[roll0] vs AC: 20
Damage IF hit: [roll1] PLUS need fort save vs DC 11 to avoid disease

end round 1

Round 2

Map
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/cdcross/SUnlesgrp2Base-1.png (http://s808.photobucket.com/user/cdcross/media/SUnlesgrp2Base-1.png.html)

Initiatives:

rat2 - 23
Graros - 19
cosette - 16
Kurthumalk - 13
Razia 13
Rat1 - 11
Aerowyn - 10
rat3 - 7

Having its companion bolster the assault, the rat (#2) attacks Aerowyn again, its mouth hissing as the teeth chomp at Aerowyn's legs.
Attack:[roll2] vs AC: 20
Damage IF hit: [roll3] PLUS need fort save vs DC 11 to avoid disease

>>Graros action

Jthw
2015-02-16, 11:31 PM
Graros continues down the rope.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Both accelerated movement to get into the bottom to E1

Cardea
2015-02-17, 01:23 AM
"Too slow. I'm going in." Cosette hollars, moving fast down the rope, and letting go.

Falling, she pulls her sword out, and hacks away at the rats as she lands on the ground.

So currently I am 30 ft. away from the ground.

Accelerated Movement on Climb, to move me to 20 ft. from the ground: [roll0]

Tumble DC 15 to reduce falling damage by 10 ft.: [roll1]

Falling Damage for 10 ft.: [roll2]
Falling Damage if Tumble Fails: [roll3]

Landing on G3. Attacking from Higher Ground as I fall gives +1 to hit.

Attack on Rat3: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

Edit: So everything here failed, but its only 7 damage.

Sandviper
2015-02-17, 10:47 AM
kurthumalk releases some curses in draconic, and reloads his crossbow, shoots to rat 3.

[roll0]
crit. [roll1]
damage [roll2]
crit damage [roll3]

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-18, 04:39 AM
Sword drawn, Aerowyn immediately commences the attack, bringing his blade down in a vertical chop on the nearest rat. He nearly jumps when Cossette lands nearby.

Attacking rat 3.
Longsword: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
if critical:
Longsword: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

5ft step to G1.

tape_measure
2015-02-18, 09:48 AM
Round 2 (end)

Initiatives:

rat2 - 23
Graros - 19
cosette - 16
Kurthumalk - 13
Razia 13
Rat1 - 11
Aerowyn - 10
rat3 - 7

Graros descends quickly using as many hand and foot holds as possible. Stopping to reevaluate the situation, he sees he is only about 10 feet from the floor of the sandy area.

Cosette moves quickly at first, and releases the rope dropping to the floor with a solid thud. Her blade misses as she falls as the rat barely manages to recoil in time to avoid being impaled.

Kurthumalk lets loose another bolt into combat and lands a successful blow to the rat on Aerowyn. The rat screeches as the gash left in its leg begins to bleed badly.

Razia nearly lets the bolt go from his crossbow, but holds the action for fearing to hit a team mate, something the kobold has no obvious fear of doing.

Aerowyn's blade nearly cuts the rat with the bolt wound, but the blade narrowly misses, swiping just an inch above its head. Aerowyn sees the chance to move slightly to the right, trying to gain some advantage in the combat.

Map:

http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz7/cdcross/SUnlesgrp2Base-2.png (http://s808.photobucket.com/user/cdcross/media/SUnlesgrp2Base-2.png.html)

Make sure to add who you are attacking in the post, please. I can assume a lot in this easy encoutner, but going forward may prove more difficult.

Also, Aerowyn should be in E1. G1 was occupied by Cosette so it should have moved the opposite direction. WE can leave as the map indicates if you like and easily wash that part of the post away.

Sandviper
2015-02-18, 10:44 AM
Oh.... rats would you please.. die!!! *again in draconic* Reloads and shoots

[roll0][roll1]
if critical [roll2][roll3]

Cardea
2015-02-18, 08:36 PM
"Keep calm up there, or you're liable to pin us all with bolts!" Cosette hollars up, swinging her sword again.

Attacking Rat3.

+2 on attack roll if we keep my mistake of typing G3 instead of G1.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

nolongerchaos
2015-02-18, 11:44 PM
"Well that was... impressive. Remind me to not get on your bad side Ms...?" Razia jokes as he puts away his crossbow. He then makes his way to the rope and climbs on down to the others at the landing, where he reaches down and picks up the rat that had been skewered by the crossbow bolt.

"Efficient. Well, though I've no desire to eat rat, we may yet be able to find use for this." And without further ado, Razia drops the rat into one of his empty sacks.

Jthw
2015-02-18, 11:51 PM
Graros gets to the bottom of the rope, pulls out his scimitar, and slashes at rat3 (if alive, otherwise rat2.)

Accelerated movement down the rest of the rope:
[roll0]
Attack:
[roll1]
If crit (18-20) to confirm:
[roll2]
Damage:
[roll3]
Crit extra damage:
[roll4]

If no rats are alive then Graros will just climb back up the rope, saying "Well, that's one way to deal with vermin."

tape_measure
2015-02-19, 08:53 AM
Round 2

Initiatives:

rat2 - 23
Graros - 19
cosette - 16
Kurthumalk - 13
Razia 13
Aerowyn - 10
rat3 - 7

The rat snarled loudly as it turned its head to take another bite at Aerowyn. It's teeth snap shut, but just barely missed landing.

Graros is able to slip down the rest of the rope, and draw his sword. His attack lands true splitting a large gash into the rats back. The rat squeals and slumps to the ground as blood pours from its back.

Cosette follows suite with a flurry of swordplay that ends the last rat's life quickly.

The rats lay dead on the sandy floor of the landing, staining the ground with their blood.

With the last rat dead, the group can each add 60 xp for the battle. Good work everyone!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=

Gathering the troops to the landing takes some time to accomplish, and Doken is visibly pleased to not be tied up in the harness anymore. The group finds a set of switch back stairs to the south of the landing that descend further into the ravine.

As the group descends into the darkness, carefully moving along the staircases as it creaks and moans with each step. The two sets of stairs take little time to traverse easily and as they climb, the view of he citadel begins to come into focus.

At the edge of sight, a fortress top emerges from the darkness. The subterranean citadel, though impressive, seems long forgotten., if the lightless windows, cracked crenellations and leaning towers are any indication. All is quiet, though a cold breeze blows up from below, bringing with it the scent of dust and a faint trace of rot.

The narrow stairs empty into a small courtyard, apparently the top of what was once a crenellated battlement. The buried citadel has sunk so far into the earth that the battlement is now level with the surrounding cavern floor. The floor stretches away to the north and south, and it is apparently composed of a layers of treacherous, crumbled masonry, which reaches to an unknown depth. To the west looms the surviving structure of what mist be the Sunless Citadel. A tower stands on the west side of the courtyard across from the group. A large set of doors seems to be the obvious entrance ahead. Though, the floor should be taken with caution.

Just moving the group down the path a ways. Feel free to roleplay out the marching if you would like. Just let me know how you want to move across the crumbled floor in this area. As always, feel free to add rolls as you would like. If not, I'll roll for any that are needed that may take too long to request.

Sandviper
2015-02-19, 09:49 AM
Hmm.. kurthumalk takes a big sniff of the air... looking for traces of smoke. Very well.. we should traverse this, getting trapped in this terrain will be a possibility... specially for me... kurthumalk takes a look at Doken...Wild idea here... could i ride Doken... well not ride ride...just climb on top of him to take me to the other side? waits for an answer...

Jthw
2015-02-19, 01:11 PM
"Hmmm..." Graros things to himself for a second at the request. "Well, it isn't really my decision because I can't promise how Doken will react, we can try and I'll try to get her to understand that it is only until we get onto more solid ground." Graros then gets down on a knee next to Doken, takes out a piece of meat from a pouch on his side and gives it to Doken as he says in sylvian some calming words while petting her. "I'd suggest wrapping your arms around her neck and laying across her back and whatever you do not pull on her fur."

If nobody has lit a torch by now Graros will light one after helping Kurthumalk onto Doken.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-19, 07:17 PM
"Hmm. I have an idea; I will wrap the rope around myself again and walk across. If the floor gives way, you will keep me from falling, and you will know where not to walk." Unless someone protests with a good reason not to do this, this is what he does, spear in hand.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-19, 08:32 PM
"Hmph. Sunless Citadel indeed."
Kneeling, Razia reaches into his backpack and pulls out a hooded lantern and a small green cube that appears to be made of some gelatinous substance. He then places the cube into his lantern and pours just a splash of water onto the cube, which promptly ignites into blue-green flames. Satisfied, Razia stands back up and holds his lantern aloft in the gloom.

"Hmm. I have an idea; I will wrap the rope around myself again and walk across. If the floor gives way, you will keep me from falling, and you will know where not to walk."

"Very well, we'll try to keep an eye out for you, and be sure to call for us if needed." Razia then grabs the other end of Aerowyn's rope, making sure to leave enough room for the others to hold on to it as well.

Jthw
2015-02-20, 08:40 PM
"I'd prefer that idea as long as you are willing." Graros says as he grabs an open piece of rope behind Razia.

tape_measure
2015-02-20, 10:15 PM
Setting out carefully, Aerowyn moves across the broken battlefield slowly as the ground shifts with each step. You watch with caution at each step noting where was safe and where to avoid. The eerie light illuminating the cavern makes the suspense grow quickly as Aerowyn moves across the broken land.

Aerowyn

As you move, the ground seems shaky and unsettled. You feel it move with each step. About 10 feet from the door way, you spot a larger than normal crack in the flooring. You can the tell tale signs of a pit trap that has been recently set. You can see the work around with it, too, and the idea of getting around this trap seems like a very doable notion.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-22, 01:43 PM
Making sure he is a few feet from it's edge, Aerowyn bends down and picks up a very heavy rock, then lobs it as close to the center of the trap as he can.

tape_measure
2015-02-22, 01:57 PM
The trap triggers swiftly, and the ground in the area crumbles away leaving only a small foot path no bigger that the width of a board to move across on. Examining it, reveals that it is definitely sturdy enough to move across on and poses no threat of breaking. In fact, the more you look, the trace of goblin footprints can be seen across the distance of the camouflaged board.

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-22, 04:42 PM
Aerowyn turns and waves the others over. He indicates where it is safe to walk, then moves across the board to the other side.

tape_measure
2015-02-22, 05:43 PM
Moving closer, Aerowyn opens the doors to the keep and peaks inside carefully. The lightless room is difficult to see in even with elven eyesight. It seems to be a large, rounded room that was once a tower. You do not see any signs of danger in the room as you look about, awaiting the rest of the group to catch up. There four corpses of goblins long dead on the ground, but not living threat.

As the group moves across the courtyard, you can each easily sense the floor beneath you and the unsteady nature of it. You move with care, making sure not to step anywhere to heavily or that does not seem able to hold you. Doken and Kurthumalk have a difficult time together, but are able to move across the area at a very slow pace. The board across the trap is by far the easiest part of traversing the courtyard.

This circular area is cobbled with cracked granite, upon which sprawl four goblins, all apparently slain in combat. One stands with its back against the western wall, the killing spear still skewering it and holding it upright. Three wooden doors lead off from this area. Above, a hollow tower of loose masonry reaches 30 feet, but the intervening floors and stairs are gone,except for a couple of crumpled ledges.

Pausing to let roleplaying catch up and to get a sense what/where you'd like to go next

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-23, 12:47 PM
Aerowyn lights his lantern, then inspects each of the bodies. Following that, he goes from door to door, looking each of them over for several minutes. After searching each door, he spends a while listening at each one.

Assuming everyone is willing to wait, he'll take 20 searching the bodies, the squares in front of each door, the doors themselves, then listening at each door.

Cardea
2015-02-23, 04:05 PM
"A waste," Cosette says, approaching the wall and pulling at the spear. "Anything of value, we take. It could prove useful. Waste not, want not."

Sandviper
2015-02-23, 08:29 PM
I move forward, and finally catch up with therest of the group. as soon as i reach the tower... i dismount from the animal... Thank you you beast... your service has been appreciated.
Happy to be on his foots again... i see the bodies, well.. it seems that, the last group of adventurers. had a good time here.... disgusted by the goblins... i look at Aerowyn.... that´s a good way to announce our presece... nothing like a beacon of light in the middle of a dark citadel...

i take my crossbow, and load it.

Jthw
2015-02-23, 11:06 PM
Graros kneels down and pets Doken, then he thinks for a moment. "Maybe we can track the previous group by the scent on that spear, let me see it if you don't mind."

Assuming Cosette give Graros the spear Graros will bring it to Doken's nose to try to track the previous party.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-24, 03:59 PM
"Curious. Well, clearly there have been others here, and somewhat recently, or the corpses would be further decayed than they are. Well, which door do you think we should progress through, unless someone feels adventurous enough to risk the tower...

Razia will take some time examining the bodies, trying to determine, if he can, how long the bodies have been there, what sort of weapons were used, etc., taking 20s on whatever applicable skills he has. General forensic stuff to figure out who else was here and when.

tape_measure
2015-02-26, 09:05 AM
Aerowyn

NE Door - As you move closer to the door, you can see that it is in shambles and just barely hanging on the hinges by the thick dust. You can see a few rocks that coming out from under the door, and with a quick glance you can see that there much larger rocks behind the door as the passageway seems crumbled in.

NW Door - This wooden door seems in much better shape, and recently used. You can make out a scratches on the door around the handle. Normal doors have the same wear and tear, this one just seems to have been handle by something with clawed hands.

SW Door - This door is also clear of any traps, but you can see this door is used far less than the last door. Listening to the door, you can hear something scratching in the room behind it. You then here what sounds like faint clicks of claws, as if some kind of quadraped is walking about the room.

Cosette and Graros

Removing the spear from the goblin allows gravity to take over and the corpse slumps to the floor. Looking over the spear, you find nothing special about the weapon. At Graros' request the two of you work with Doken on the scent still lingering.

Doken immediately withdraws from the spear and the fur on her neck stiffens and raises. She lowers her head with a low growl and you can tell she is not pleased by the scent. Something tells you its is not the scent that you were looking for.

Razia

Around the room, you find a few chair legs and table remnants littered amongst large rock debris and the broken road. Looking over the goblin corpses, you can discern they have been there for just a few days. Not enough to start stinking, but still recently that the bodies have some elasticity. The weapons carried are crude swords of poor quality. While still sharp, you can tell you won't be able to make any real money if you were take these back to a real craftsman.

Kurthumalk

As Cosette removes the spear holding the goblin, you can see something written on the wall in draconic. While it looks broken, you can tell its only dust that covers the markings. Moving forward, you are able to clear the dust on the wall enough to be able to read it more clearly. The word "Ashardalon" is scrawled in the old draconic.

Deep in your mind, the word rings clear. Ashardalon was perhaps the single most powerful wyrm in the history of the dragonkind. She is known by many names, including the Red Queen, the Dark Queen, and the Great Fire Wyrm. Most of the history of any such magical beast sounds more like tall tales that are meant to scare children into listening to theirs parents rules. Rumors of her sightings go through many bars close to closing time when wines flow freely and those tall tales seem to grow each night. Ashardalon's name is synonymous with destruction and desolation however. There has never been hero to have met her gaze and live to tell a true account of it.

There are many who worship the red dragon as a god and call her mother. Those that live on the fringe of society in small sects, having little to do with the world as most know it. Cultists, though, were as fabled as the stories of the dragon herself since none would so openly claim it as a hobby or a way of life and not have been hounded by local authorities.

As you think back on the old stories, you recall the land that you had come across on your way to the ravine and the smell of old smoke you have smelled since arriving in this area. Its desolation was clearly unnatural, and its barren nature could be explained by the hottest substance known to this world: dragon fire.

Jthw
2015-02-26, 10:08 AM
"It seems the scent of the goblins are too overpowering to track the previous group from this. Has anyone else found anything of interest?"

Seharvepernfan
2015-02-26, 01:42 PM
Aerowyn relates his observations of the doors to the others, notably the presence of a beast beyond the southwest door.

Sandviper
2015-02-27, 11:23 AM
Ashardalon... I knew this feeling was weird. As soon as i realize what´s writen on the wall... i get a flashback, the biggest single dragon shadow i have ever seen.... once again in my flashback im some kind of reptiloid with powerfull claws, and a horn in my face, blue scales all over me, i then jump to one of my nightmares. and snap back to the real world.. with some minor squeek.... Then i comment on the possible origen of the desert plains outside... and what seems to be a lost shrine to Ashardalon.

Well.. we know where the goblins are going... anyone votes to check those doors not so often used? I rather check those first.

nolongerchaos
2015-02-27, 10:52 PM
"Ashardalon...? I think Felosial mentioned Ashardalon when we spoke with her, something about the constable thinking Ashardalon created the wastelands and that's what caused the Citadel to sink... Perhaps there's a cult down here? I don't know though, I always thought dragon cults were more of a kobold thing, rather than goblins...

Seharvepernfan
2015-03-01, 03:06 PM
Looking at the writing on the wall, Aerowyn muses for a moment, then speaks up, "I would think this is the last clue a victim gives of their murderer, before death. Nothing more." He glances back towards the doors, "Let's go through that door." He points towards the one with the claw marks on the handle. He waits for the group to form up behind him, then opens it with his spear, shining his lantern into the depths beyond.

nolongerchaos
2015-03-02, 11:49 PM
Noting Aerowyn preparing to move onward, Razia moves forward and falls into line behind him.

"Very well, onward it is. And let us pray we meet a kinder fate than these goblins."

tape_measure
2015-03-03, 09:11 AM
Opening the door carefully, you find behind it a long hallway (roughly 40 feet long and 10 feet wide) that is quiet and dark. On either side of the hallway, there are two doors about 25 feet down; on the left a stone and across from it a wooden door. At the end of the hallway, another wooden door awaits.

Just let me know here, or in the OOC thread how you want to approach the searching. A few roll to help you move along: Spot, Search, Listen, Move Silently

Sandviper
2015-03-05, 11:16 PM
Ok so... i move forward to through the hallway, and reach the door at the end of the hallway... take a quick look at both doors to see any marks of use. i carry my crossbow ready and loaded
[roll0].

if i don´t see any markings on the doors... i try to listen trough the one at the end of the hallway.
[roll1]

If i don´t listen to anything... i open it. ready action shoot any threatening creature behind it.

Jthw
2015-03-06, 10:19 AM
Graros follows Kurthumalk down the hallway, Scimitar in hand. Readied action to attack anyone that he does.

tape_measure
2015-03-06, 11:43 PM
Kuthulmak

Moving down the hall, you do not find the doors carrying any markings that seem dangerous or otherwise notorious in any way. As you listen to the door at the end of the hall, you can barely make out a sound like whimpering. Its faint, and in short, choppy breathes, but definitely the sound of something on the verge of crying out.

Sandviper
2015-03-09, 12:08 AM
I look to the guys Behind me... signe them to be quietand that i hear something comming from there. in a low voice..Let´s get ready.... i´ll open to see if i can see anything. 3... 2... 1..

I slowly open the door.
Dex check if needed [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]