PDA

View Full Version : Question about Wish and spell turning

Melcar
2015-01-16, 04:52 PM
What if you had cast spell turning on your self, and your enemy spellcaster pulls out a wish spell, and wished your dead. Lets assume this is a very well written wish. Would spell turning effectively turn it on to the caster and is so what would that do since the wish particularly mentions me the target?

Glimbur
2015-01-16, 05:00 PM
I'd have the Wish spell emulate Finger of Death, since that's a spell that kills people, heightened to 9th level. That spell would have you as a target, so if your Spell Turning has enough levels left in it to turn a 9th level spell then it is turned as normal.

Max Caysey
2015-01-17, 07:23 AM
No doubt... If you use wish, to dublicate any other spell it would follow those rules for that spell. If wish is used to create some special attack or an effect that somehow ends the target, I would say that its a targeted effect, but that when reflected by spell turning, it would not affect the caster since the wish was specified towards the target.

sideswipe
2015-01-17, 08:08 AM
i would instead say "i target the effect of this wish at this leaf, when it is destroyed the following people die regardless, then name you."

going by wizards of the coast logic (pulled from MTG) the effect is not targeting you, therefore no turning :smallwink:

Glimbur
2015-01-17, 09:33 AM
Sure, but by going off of the safe list for Wish you are begging for either perverted intent or partial fulfillment. Partial fulfillment would be obvious in this case: Disintegrate to destroy the leaf, and that's it.

sideswipe
2015-01-17, 07:22 PM
Sure, but by going off of the safe list for Wish you are begging for either perverted intent or partial fulfillment. Partial fulfillment would be obvious in this case: Disintegrate to destroy the leaf, and that's it.

a stipulation on the original wish was that it was granted regardless.

Jack_Simth
2015-01-17, 07:50 PM
What if you had cast spell turning on your self, and your enemy spellcaster pulls out a wish spell, and wished your dead. Lets assume this is a very well written wish. Would spell turning effectively turn it on to the caster and is so what would that do since the wish particularly mentions me the target?
Depends on the DM. Probably, as quite a few DMs dislike lawyering.

Elinvar
2015-01-17, 07:51 PM

Wish is a ninth level spell, this obviously relies on turning being strong enough to effect it.

I imagine wish as you summoning an djin or something and then stating your wish. In this case It seems to me as the djin is the one casting the death spell, so your barrier would turn it on it rather than the wizard trying to kill you.

@ sideswipe
"i target the effect of this wish at this leaf, when it is destroyed the following people die regardless, then name you."

If I was going to be an ******* I could refuse to grant that wish on the basis of matter can never be created or destroyed, assuming that holds true and summoned stuff is actually just ported in from another plane of exsistance.

I think I'd go for either "I wish for [target] to be killed where he stands at the time of the end of this sentence, despite any and all protections, magical or otherwise, he may have against such a fate."

OR you could specify a cause, like mass organ failure or trauma as a result of a safe falling on his head, which might also allow you to bypass magic resistance with a non-magical cause of death.