PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other New spell: Telefrag (PEACH)

inuyasha
2015-01-16, 07:11 PM
Hey guys! Long time no see! I've been focusing on school so much that I haven't really homebrewed much lately...also I bought Quake during winter break, inspiring the following spell.

TELEFRAG
Level Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, M
Casting time: 1 Standard Action.
Range: Personal
Target: You and one other creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving throw Fortitude lessens (see below)
Spell resistance Yes
This spell functions exactly as Greater Teleport, except that you CAN teleport into a living target! When this occurs you must name the exact target ("Jarl Hurgburk of the stone giant tribe" is a good answer, "that one hobo who stole a gold piece from me" is not), you must have seen the location you are teleporting to at least once (scrying counts), and the target must be a creature within one size category of the caster and must make a fortitude save or die instantly, This spell cannot target those who are two sizes smaller than the caster, and it will target those two sizes or more larger than the caster, but with lessened effect.

Those who are two sizes larger than the caster take (1d6+1) damage per caster level, this die decreases for each size category you add. Those who succeed their saving throw also take this damage.

The caster is usually unharmed in this ordeal, although the DM gets to roll D%, on an 85-95 both the caster and the target die, on a 96-100, the caster dies and the target has a new wizardskin coat :smallsmile:
Material component: a ring fashioned with one spike of metal protruding from it in a fashion akin to this (http://files.gamebanana.com/img/ico/sprays/quake.png)
Verbal component: "Quad damage" muttered in a deep and frightening tone.

inuyasha
2015-01-17, 11:59 AM
Bump
any critiques for this spell? It could very well be unbalanced, so I think some critiquing is needed

Steward
2015-01-17, 02:35 PM
Greater Teleport wants you to be familiar with the destination location before you can use it (either having been there before or have a good description). does this have any similar limitations when you target an individual person?

Either way, it's a save-or-die spell with unlimited range. I'm not sure if it's unbalanced though.

JoshuaZ
2015-01-17, 04:16 PM
Without the Quake references, this would be a pretty reasonable spell fluff wise. I think from a balance standpoint it should allow spell resistance.

inuyasha
2015-01-17, 04:21 PM
Ok, I'll change it to allow spell resistance, anything else?

redwizard007
2015-01-17, 04:32 PM
Either way, it's a save-or-die spell with unlimited range. I'm not sure if it's unbalanced though.

It's is 9th level and single target... Still, another limitation might be nice.

Edit: like SR, yeah. Took too long to post

jedipotter
2015-01-18, 03:13 AM
Well....It's kind of a boring save or die spell.

It has that Vagueness to it that makes it over powered. After all ''teleport'' can effect anyone...or anything that does not have up a teleport ward. So this spell could kill lots of Epic characters and monsters, for example.

And the ''casting from the other side of the world'' is a bit unbalanced.

And the ''teleport'' inside is odd.....how do you teleport into solid matter?

I guess this spell is based on something, and sure ''ripping someone apart as you teleport inside of them'' sounds kinda cool......but i don't think this makes a very good spell for the game.

inuyasha
2015-01-18, 02:51 PM
Well....It's kind of a boring save or die spell.

It has that Vagueness to it that makes it over powered. After all ''teleport'' can effect anyone...or anything that does not have up a teleport ward. So this spell could kill lots of Epic characters and monsters, for example.

And the ''casting from the other side of the world'' is a bit unbalanced.

And the ''teleport'' inside is odd.....how do you teleport into solid matter?

I guess this spell is based on something, and sure ''ripping someone apart as you teleport inside of them'' sounds kinda cool......but i don't think this makes a very good spell for the game.

1. OK, I added a statement about how you must name the specific target and have seen the place at least once, you may want to take a look at it.

2. Also size is a factor, and you can't forget that most epic characters and monsters do have damage reduction or regeneration.

3. would it be better if I reduced the range to that of a normal teleport spell?

4. How do you teleport in general, how do you throw exploding balls of fire from your hand, it's magic.

5. I don't understand your reasoning for this not being a good spell, it's got a cool premise, and even though it's powerful it does have a slight danger to it, should I reduce the roll from a D% to a D20? This also doesn't bring the rest of the party with you, so using it all the time isn't necessarily a good idea