PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Magus

Shadowscale
2015-01-16, 10:22 PM
I wanted to build a sorcerer/wizard, I was wondering if there was a simple way to port the Ultimate Magus class to better pull off the cross class in 5th edition?

Theodoxus
2015-01-16, 10:27 PM
What exactly did you like that can't do currently?

SharkForce
2015-01-16, 10:53 PM
you shouldn't need it, i think.

you'll get full spell slot progression, but be limited in level of spells known already. the only thing that sorcerer has in 5e that wizard doesn't is metamagic. so run 17 levels of wizard (theoretically of course) and 3 of sorcerer, and you've got a wizard with fairly extensive access to the only particularly interesting ability sorcerers get (unless you just like wild magic, in which case you can also access that with 3 levels of sorcerer as well).

my advice would be to start off on the sorcerer levels (constitution saves are a handy thing), and then add in the wizard levels later.

Yoroichi
2015-01-17, 10:55 AM
Pardon but, only 3 levels of sorcerer gives you 3 sorcery points, and quicken spell costs 2 points. You will only be able to use 1 metamagic spell/ 8 hour rest, which is not worth it to take a 3 level dip in that.

Xetheral
2015-01-17, 12:27 PM
Pardon but, only 3 levels of sorcerer gives you 3 sorcery points, and quicken spell costs 2 points. You will only be able to use 1 metamagic spell/ 8 hour rest, which is not worth it to take a 3 level dip in that.

Don't forget that you can trade spell slots for more sorcery points.

SharkForce
2015-01-17, 01:20 PM
Don't forget that you can trade spell slots for more sorcery points.

this exactly. you won't be doing it too often at first, i'm sure, but it is always an option.