PDA

View Full Version : Does this work? (practiced spellcaster) 3.5

Shadowscale
2015-01-17, 12:22 AM
I'm thinking of a complete magus utilizing dread necromancer and wizard. I was thinking of taking practiced spellcaster on DN to make the caster levels equal allowing me to advance my wizard casting on the levels where it has to be my lower caster class. Would that work? What wizard school would be best to take?

Also would precocious apprentice be able to help me with this build. What does the playground think, and what would be the best class to take after all 10 ultimate magus levels? I'm thinking Archmage or some form of necromancer class.

darksolitaire
2015-01-17, 12:37 AM
I'm thinking of a complete magus utilizing dread necromancer and wizard. I was thinking of taking practiced spellcaster on DN to make the caster levels equal allowing me to advance my wizard casting on the levels where it has to be my lower caster class. Would that work? What wizard school would be best to take?

Yes, practiced spellcaster does work. Beguiler might be better because it uses intelligence, but Dread Necro gets rebuke undead. Conjuration and Transmutation are always strong schools.

Also would precocious apprentice be able to help me with this build. What does the playground think, and what would be the best class to take after all 10 ultimate magus levels? I'm thinking Archmage or some form of necromancer class.

Precocious Apprentice doesn't do much for you if you qualify as Wizard 4 /Dread Necromancer 1 or Wizard 3/DN 2. You could use feat chain in Cityscape to boost Spellcraft to one higher then normally allowed and go in as Wizard 3/DN 1.

Shadowscale
2015-01-17, 12:44 AM
Yes, practiced spellcaster does work. Beguiler might be better because it uses intelligence, but Dread Necro gets rebuke undead. Conjuration and Transmutation are always strong schools.

Precocious Apprentice doesn't do much for you if you qualify as Wizard 4 /Dread Necromancer 1 or Wizard 3/DN 2. You could use feat chain in Cityscape to boost Spellcraft to one higher then normally allowed and go in as Wizard 3/DN 1.

What do you mean by feat chain getting in at Wizard 3/DN 1 would be amazing. What should I take after I finish Magus, also what other feats should I be looking at? Do I need to be a human or have a flaw to make this work?

D4rkh0rus
2015-01-17, 12:54 AM
There was a feat (Albeit 3rd party) That allowed you to take Lvl+5 instead of lvl +3 ranks in Int based skills

Troacctid
2015-01-17, 12:56 AM
What do you mean by feat chain getting in at Wizard 3/DN 1 would be amazing. What should I take after I finish Magus, also what other feats should I be looking at? Do I need to be a human or have a flaw to make this work?

The feat chain in question is Favored + Primary Contact. Since you also need a metamagic feat for Ultimate Magus, that means you need 3 feats by 4th level, which does require a bonus feat of some kind. Easy enough to do as a human. If for some reason you want a different race, it's still pretty easy, just use Wu Jen for your prepared casting class instead of Wizard.

Shadowscale
2015-01-17, 12:58 AM
The feat chain in question is Favored + Primary Contact. Since you also need a metamagic feat for Ultimate Magus, that means you need 3 feats by 4th level, which does require a bonus feat of some kind. Easy enough to do as a human. If for some reason you want a different race, it's still pretty easy, just use Wu Jen for your prepared casting class instead of Wizard.

wouldn't any race work with
first level
wizard feat
and then third level feat?

Troacctid
2015-01-17, 01:03 AM
No, because your Wizard bonus feat at 1st level is Scribe Scroll, which doesn't help. You can replace it with a Fighter bonus feat, or with Augment Summoning if you're a Conjurer, but that still doesn't help.

Shadowscale
2015-01-17, 01:32 AM
What would be the best prestiege class to take afterwords? Assuming all 10 levels and using praticed spellcasting to make the lowest level tied allowing me to get more wizard casting with wiz3/DN1/UM10 Archmage or do any necro prcs exist?

darksolitaire
2015-01-17, 06:50 AM
Incantatrix from Player's Guide to Faerun is always a strong candidate. It requires Iron Will, which is weak feat, but if your DM uses magical locations you can visit Otyugh Hole for 3000 gold pieces which gives you the feat. Archmage isn't bad choice either. There are necromancy themed PrCs from which Pale Master is best, but it loses caster level.