PDA

View Full Version : anthropomorphic rpgs

aspekt
2015-01-17, 01:37 AM
I read a wiki entry that listed a handful. So I know vaguely about Shard, Ironclaw, Usagi, World Tree, Bunnies and Burrows (almost 50USD on amazon!), Mouseguard (which I have heard is Burning Wheel based, so very crunchy?), and someone posted a d20 Redwall, but I'm kinda d20'd out.

So are there any I missed and have any of you used the above systems? Before reinventing the wheel using Fudge or something I thought I'd ask here.

goto124
2015-01-17, 01:40 AM
May I ask, how are anthropomorphic RPGs different from normal RPGs?

aspekt
2015-01-17, 02:32 AM
May I ask, how are anthropomorphic RPGs different from normal RPGs?

I just meant games whose base races, stats, combat, etc., were built around animals.

golentan
2015-01-17, 03:04 AM
Mouseguard is actually very rules light. It has the core burning wheel mechanic, but it's stripped down so much it's an entirely unrecognizable system (I thought I'd like burning wheel based on my experience with mouseguard: I was wrong).

Red Fel
2015-01-17, 08:44 AM
So before reinventing the wheel using Fudge or something I thought I'd ask here.

Ask what, exactly? Apart from that parenthetical about Burning Wheel, you don't seem to have actually asked a question.

Are you asking if there are any others you missed? If the ones you listed are any good? If anyone has recommendations? What?

aspekt
2015-01-17, 09:05 AM
Are there any I missed and have any of you used the above systems?

aspekt
2015-01-17, 09:08 AM
Mouseguard is actually very rules light. It has the core burning wheel mechanic, but it's stripped down so much it's an entirely unrecognizable system (I thought I'd like burning wheel based on my experience with mouseguard: I was wrong).

That's good to know. I really like the setting and art overall. Though I would probably up the level of magic a bit.

Knaight
2015-01-17, 10:07 AM
So are there any I missed and have any of you used the above systems? Before reinventing the wheel using Fudge or something I thought I'd ask here.

It's not reinventing the wheel with Fudge at this point (http://www.fudgerpg.com/products/fudgerpg/anotherfinemess.html). That's before we get into the Fudge Expanded Edition from 1995 (as opposed to the 10th anniversary edition which is the new standard), which had a cover about how you could play any character - even bunnies. Even the basic .pdf has a few rabbit example characters.

Tarlek Flamehai
2015-01-17, 12:25 PM
TMNT RPG
GURPS: Shapeshifters

aspekt
2015-01-17, 09:28 PM
TMNT RPG
GURPS: Shapeshifters

Don't know TMNT and had not heard of Shapeshifters. Novel approach. I have the 2 core books for 4ed so I'll take a look around for it.

aspekt
2015-01-17, 09:30 PM
It's not reinventing the wheel with Fudge at this point (http://www.fudgerpg.com/products/fudgerpg/anotherfinemess.html). That's before we get into the Fudge Expanded Edition from 1995 (as opposed to the 10th anniversary edition which is the new standard), which had a cover about how you could play any character - even bunnies. Even the basic .pdf has a few rabbit example characters.

10th anniversary is the one I have been reading. I'll check the pdf out. Thanks.

DonEsteban
2015-01-17, 10:03 PM
You shouldn't forget Cathulhu! In fact, there are at least 3 or four variants.
And there is a game called Ratten (Rats) which is quite nice if you know German.

I haven't tried any of the above games so far, unfortunately.

aspekt
2015-01-17, 10:05 PM
You shouldn't forget Cathulhu! In fact, there are at least 3 or four variants.
And there is a game called Ratten (Rats) which is quite nice if you know German.

I haven't tried any of the above games so far, unfortunately.

Hey thanks for the reccomendation I'll check out Cathulhu.

Knaight
2015-01-17, 10:25 PM
10th anniversary is the one I have been reading. I'll check the pdf out. Thanks.

It's also in there. The complete text of the .pdf is the first 104 pages of the 10th Anniversary Edition with the other three (two reference sheets plus a character sheet) put towards the end.

aspekt
2015-01-18, 12:52 AM
It's also in there. The complete text of the .pdf is the first 104 pages of the 10th Anniversary Edition with the other three (two reference sheets plus a character sheet) put towards the end.

I found Chicory, Bunny on p. 68!

LibraryOgre
2015-01-19, 11:13 AM
Someone mentioned TMNT and Other Strangeness, but it evolved into a non-licensed game, After the Bomb. After the Bomb is set in a nebulous, post-Apocalyptic future where mutant animals (with varying degrees of human features) are the dominant life form, with some few humans clinging to life in various places. It's a Palladium game, with their varying quality and inconsistent rules, but it allows for pretty flexible mutant animal creation (especially if you give everyone some bonus Bio-E in the interest of "cool")

aspekt
2015-01-19, 04:44 PM
Someone mentioned TMNT and Other Strangeness, but it evolved into a non-licensed game, After the Bomb. After the Bomb is set in a nebulous, post-Apocalyptic future where mutant animals (with varying degrees of human features) are the dominant life form, with some few humans clinging to life in various places. It's a Palladium game, with their varying quality and inconsistent rules, but it allows for pretty flexible mutant animal creation (especially if you give everyone some bonus Bio-E in the interest of "cool")

Thanks. After the bomb sounds like, a lot of things, but in particular it reminds me of the defunct mmo Earth Eternal. I've always had a masochistic interest in Palladium :)

Dachimotsu
2015-01-19, 08:47 PM
Furry Pirates!

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1371/02/1371024073428.pdf

aspekt
2015-01-20, 03:00 AM
Furry Pirates!

https://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1371/02/1371024073428.pdf

Wow thanks. I really like the species size chart as a means of determining stat bonuses.

Mutazoia
2015-01-20, 08:14 AM
There is also Albedo (https://www.scribd.com/doc/49854222/Albedo-Role-Playing-Game-1988) which is Furry's is space.