PDA

View Full Version : Best Crafting Class (Other than Artificer)?

Glarx
2015-01-17, 08:13 AM
Hey there, Playgrounders!

I'm looking for the best dedicated crafting class. My initial survey indicates wizards, thanks to those tasty bonus feats, or warlock, thanks to that delightful Imbue Item ability. I have a limited number of sources to draw on, included in the spoiler below, but I can make requests of the DM outside of those sources so long as it is 'reasonable.'

My current leaning is Silverbrowed Human Warlock 12 / Chameleon 2. It'll take a while before that comes online, so to speak, so I'm still weighing the pros and cons. Would it be wiser to be a wizard and just spend feats on item crafting? That gets the party items faster, while being less efficient in the long run...

Anyways! What're your thoughts? Any advice or suggestions? I'd love to hear 'em!

PHB v3.5
PHB II
XPHB
Complete Adventurer
Complete Arcane
Complete Divine
Complete Mage
Complete Scoundrel
Complete Warrior
Dragon Magic
Tome of Magic
Players Guide to Faerun
Races of Faerun
Monsters of Faerun
Savage Species
Drow of the Underdark
The Underdark
Champions of Ruin
Races of Destiny
Races of Stone
Races of The Dragon
Races of The Wild
Lords of Madness
Heroes of Horror
Libris Mortis
Magic Item Compendium

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-17, 08:40 AM
Yeah going Craftlock is always a good path. Alternatively there are Factotums, which have SLAs up to 7th level wiz/sorc spells.

I'd also say that a Shadowcraft Mage using Programmed Image for some contingent effects to make some "magic items"

Glarx
2015-01-17, 09:10 AM
Unfortunately, the factotum is from Dungeonscape, which isn't permitted.

SCM is Races of Stone, so definitely an option. But it doesn't sound like you were suggesting an actual crafter, but instead a contingent spell spammer? I'm trying to avoid Craft Contingent Spell if I can -- no reason to break the game if I can help it! :smalltongue:

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-17, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately, the factotum is from Dungeonscape, which isn't permitted.

SCM is Races of Stone, so definitely an option. But it doesn't sound like you were suggesting an actual crafter, but instead a contingent spell spammer? I'm trying to avoid Craft Contingent Spell if I can -- no reason to break the game if I can help it! :smalltongue:

Programmed Image with their Shadow Evocation/Conjuration emulation is what I was recommending. You can use it to make pseudo wands, temporarily flaming swords and stuff.

Red Fel
2015-01-17, 09:27 AM
When it comes to crafting arms and armor, I prefer to go with Dwarves. And when I go with Dwarf crafting, I find few classes more satisfying than the Ironsoul Forgemaster, from Magic of Incarnum. It's not in your spoiler, but I happen to think it's "reasonable." It's a solid PrC, it's melee-oriented but flexible, and it plays nicely with or without caster elements. It's also very fluffy, if that's your thing. Check my sig if you want a handbook.

When it comes to crafting items other than arms and armor... Yeah, casters are still your best bet.

Vaz
2015-01-17, 09:57 AM
Wizards get free feats to use for Magic Item crafting, and also access to the greatest potential spell knowledge. They also have Int as their important stat, with both Craft and Knowledge (All) as class skills.

Clerics (or anyone with access to Planar Touchstone; Catalogues of Enlightenment) can get Rune Domain for Scribe Scroll. The Core Divine Casters have access to their entire spell-list as well.

Humans have an extra feat.

If you need more flexibility in your build, if you can Call a Midgard Dwarf from a plane that's not the material, it can craft for you saving feats and spell knowledge.

Sian
2015-01-17, 11:55 AM
Having access to a Wizard College (as per sidebar in Silver Marches p61) ... able to use their labratories for a 10% market price to make items without having the needed 'Craft Item' feat

Glarx
2015-01-17, 03:48 PM
Great stuff! Thanks, everyone! :smallbiggrin:

MilesTiden
2015-01-17, 03:58 PM
There's also Astaroth (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a), for Binders. :smallsmile:

ranagrande
2015-01-17, 05:35 PM
Archivist is up there too, due to its ability to know every spell ever.

Flickerdart
2015-01-17, 06:00 PM
There's also Astaroth (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070307a), for Binders. :smallsmile:
I've never read that article before because I'm not a huge fan of binders, but I find it hilarious that the influence of Desharis states "you argue vigorously against options that would split the party." Seems like a reasonable fellow.