PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Feat-based Turn Undead to fuel Devotion feats?

Larkas
2015-01-17, 10:22 AM
So, while browsing through my Dragon collection, I stumbled upon a couple of interesting feats:

God Touched [General]
Prerequisite: Patron deity.
Benefit: Once per day, while performing an act related to one of your deity's portfolios, you can call upon your deity as a free action and gain a +1 luck bonus on any one die roll. For example, a character devoted to Moradin (whose portfolios are dwarves, creation, smithing, engineering, and war) could gain a +1 luck bonus on any attack or damage roll, a Craft check, a Profession (engineer) check, or a Knowledge check relating to dwarves or dwarf history.
Special: You can take this feat only once. The God Touched feat is incompatible with the Disciple of Darkness and Thrall to Demon feats from the Book of Vile Darkness. If you have either of those feats, you cannot take this one, and if you have the God Touched feat, you cannot subsequently take either of those feats.
The benefit of this feat cannot be used at the same time as the benefits from the Divine Fervor, Divine Fury, or Divine Fortification feats.
Divine Channeler [General]
Prerequisite: God Touched, patron deity.
Benefit: Once per day, you can turn or rebuke undead as a cleric of one-half your character level. If you are good-aligned (or a neutral worshiper of a good deity), this feat lets you turn undead. If you are evil-aligned (or a neutral worshiper of an evil deity), it lets you rebuke undead. If you are a neutral worshiper of a neutral deity, you can choose to either turn or rebuke upon taking the feat, but you cannot later change that decision.
Special: You can take this feat more than once, gaining one extra use per day of the turn or rebuke ability each time.
Now, stack up a couple of Extra Turning feats and you can power Devotion feats without any levels in spellcasting classes! I know, I know, that's probably not optimal, dipping Cleric (or Sacred Exorcist, if you're already a caster) probably hurts less than burning 3+ feats. But hey, it's something I never saw brought up, and it might help an otherwise mundane character get some nice tricks. Besides, I can see this as being really helpful in an E6 environment!

Oh, this article is from Dragon #305. There are a couple of other feats that could be quite interesting on a Paladin:

Divine Fortification [General]
Prerequisite: Divine Fervor, God Touched, patron deity.
Benefit: Once per day, you can call upon your deity and gain the following benefits:
● A deflection bonus to Armor Class equal to your Charisma bonus (if any) +1.
● Temporary hit points equal to your character level.
● A +2 bonus to Dexterity.
These benefits last a number of rounds equal to your Charisma bonus (if any) +1.
Using this feat requires some divine power. You can expend either your daily use of the God Touched feat or one daily use of the turn/rebuke ability (if you have it) as a free acion to provide the necessary energy.
Alternatively, another character who worships the same deity as you do and has the turn/rebuke ability can expend one daily use of that ability to provide the necessary divine energy for you. To transfer he energy, the donor must touch you on his or her turn. Such a transfer requires a standard action.
If you power the feat yourself, the benefit begins immediately. If you receive the necessary energy from another character, the benefit begins on your next turn. All divine energy transferred to you in this way is completely absorbed by your body and has no other effects.
Special: The benefits from this feat cannot be used at the same time as the benefits from the God Touched, Divine Fervor, or Divine Fury feats.
Divine Fury [General]
Prerequisite: Divine Fervor, God Touched, patron deity.
Benefit: Once per day, you can call upon your deity and gain the following benefits:
● An increase to your base attack bonus equal to your Charisma bonus (if any) +1. If this increase raises your base attack bonus enough to grant additional attacks per round, you gain those as well for the duration of the effect.
● Temporary hit points equal to your character level.
● A +2 bonus to Strength.
These benefits last a number of rounds equal to your Charisma bonus (if any) +1.
Using this feat requires some divine power. You can expend either your daily use of the God Touched feat or one daily use of the turn/rebuke ability (if you have it) as a free acion to provide the necessary energy.
Alternatively, another character who worships the same deity as you do and has the turn/rebuke ability can expend one daily use of that ability to provide the necessary divine energy for you. To transfer he energy, the donor must touch you on his or her turn. Such a transfer requires a standard action.
If you power the feat yourself, the benefit begins immediately. If you receive the necessary energy from another character, the benefit begins on your next turn. All divine energy transferred to you in this way is completely absorbed by your body and has no other effects.
Special: The benefits from this feat cannot be used at the same time as the benefits from the God Touched, Divine Fervor, or Divine Fortification feats.
That first use of Divine Fury can be specially brutal in an E6 environment!

The Viscount
2015-01-17, 11:13 AM
Isn't it easier to simply take Planar Touchstone (Catalogues of Enlightenment)?

Troacctid
2015-01-17, 11:18 AM
It only gives you one turning attempt per day. Seems worse than just taking the devotion feat again.

Could be okay for meeting dumb prerequisites like Eldritch Disciple though.

OldTrees1
2015-01-17, 11:40 AM

Which Cleric domain grants Turn/Rebuke Undead? I only know of Mystic domains that grant Turn/Rebuke Undead.

Larkas
2015-01-17, 11:43 AM
It only gives you one turning attempt per day. Seems worse than just taking the devotion feat again.

Could be okay for meeting dumb prerequisites like Eldritch Disciple though.

In a vacuum, certainly. But add Extra Turning to the mix and things start to get more economical! Furthermore, you can power more than a single Devotion feat using this. :smallsmile:

Which Cleric domain grants Turn/Rebuke Undead? I only know of Mystic domains that grant Turn/Rebuke Undead.

Pretty much this. Otherwise, Catalogs of Enlightenment would be a given!

Darrin
2015-01-17, 12:56 PM

DLCS page 102, under "Cleric and Mystic Domains":

"These new domains follow all the rules presented for domains in the description of the cleric in the Player’s Handbook."

The "Deities: None (mystic only)" line is because there are no deities in the Krynn pantheon that have the Sun domain as part of their portfolio, and clerics in Krynn can't worship an ideal. There's nothing else in the rules text that says these domains are exclusive to mystics or could be taken by other classes that manage to acquire an additional domain.

(Yeah, I know it's a weak argument. If there's any restriction in the text, it's that clerics from Krynn can't take the DLCS Sun domain.)

OldTrees1
2015-01-17, 03:09 PM
DLCS page 102, under "Cleric and Mystic Domains":

"These new domains follow all the rules presented for domains in the description of the cleric in the Player’s Handbook."

The "Deities: None (mystic only)" line is because there are no deities in the Krynn pantheon that have the Sun domain as part of their portfolio, and clerics in Krynn can't worship an ideal. There's nothing else in the rules text that says these domains are exclusive to mystics or could be taken by other classes that manage to acquire an additional domain.

(Yeah, I know it's a weak argument. If there's any restriction in the text, it's that clerics from Krynn can't take the DLCS Sun domain.)

It is a very weak argument since only Mystics have gained permission to take it. (aka "(mystic only)" is rules text)

Thurbane
2015-01-17, 03:52 PM

Isn't there some question as to whether that actually works? The Sun domain gives you the ability to use Greater Turning with existing turn attempts.

Never mind, I always thought Sun was the domain people cited.

A spontaneous arcane caster can take Necromantic Bloodline and Kin Mastery.

WhamBamSam
2015-01-17, 04:10 PM
A spontaneous arcane caster can take Necromantic Bloodline and Kin Mastery.That's hysterical. Filing it away in the old cheese drawer.

The Lightkeeper Sovereign Archetype is Race+Feat based turning, and requires Dragonwrought Kobold cheese in order to avoid eating up class levels, but probably also warrants a mention.