PDA

View Full Version : Telekinesis Playground

Lachlan
2015-01-17, 02:02 PM
Apologize if this has already been discussed, I didn't see anything in my search through the forum.

Was reading through the Telekinesis spell and it appears very open ended. DM Fiat probably applies in most situations but wanted to get playgrounds opinion. Some questions that came to mind were:

If you move a 1,000 lbs object above an enemy and drop it, how much damage does it do - Is it some kind of static calc like 1d6 per 200ft and so on? Does it receive the typical 1d6 per 10 feet of damage when a PC/NPC/Monster falls? Would you resolve this like an attack, or more of an AoE type effect, where there is a reflex (or some save) involved?

Could you cover the falling 1,000 lbs object in poison (with an injury effect) or have some smith graft great swords onto the object and resolve the falling action as an attack (assuming the flavor text of 'fine control' would apply in that situation)

The spells range says 60 feet, with 30ft of movement for an object/creature per action. if a caster grabs hold of an object, moves it 30 feet away and then expends their movement action to go 30 feet in the opposite direction is the held object static or travel with the caster?

Would this spell be a good candidate for casting at a higher level (IE 6,7.8,9) for additional benefits like range, movement during action (it's static at 30ft) or anything else you can come up with?

For the Jedi/Master of the Unseen Hand junkies, what would be some changes you would put in effect to have a throw type ability, or a push, or remotely wielding a weapon? I'm imagining some detriments or outright removal of casting benefits as you 'specialize'.

Let me know what you've been allowed to do as a PC at your table or as a DM have allowed at your table - any/all discussion would be appreciated!

Lachlan

DM12
2015-02-26, 12:31 PM
Concerning the object: I'm not sure if weight comes into play, but I think it would be (for the most part) dependant on the height from which it falls. Keeping physics in mind i would say the formula should be something along the lines of 1d6 per 100 lbs per 10 feet, so if it were 1000 lbs it would deal 10d6/10 ft but i would say that would be the total of the whole area it covers. which brings me to my second point: i would rule that it is basically an AoE with Dex save for half.

Easy_Lee
2015-02-26, 01:23 PM
which brings me to my second point: i would rule that it is basically an AoE with Dex save for half.

Why not Dex save for all? How can you partially get out of the way of a falling object, and why is total avoidance only possible for rogues, monks, shield masters, and anything being ridden by someone with mounted combatant?

Maxilian
2015-03-02, 11:47 AM
Why not Dex save for all? How can you partially get out of the way of a falling object, and why is total avoidance only possible for rogues, monks, shield masters, and anything being ridden by someone with mounted combatant?

I agree, but that will depends on the size of the object and the capacity to move of the possible target (if someone is unable to move from the space the object is going to occupy then, no save for you, just take your damage, in all other cases, you could get a save (these save will depend on how hard it would be to evade the object, so i will take in mind, the size of the object and the fall distance) :smallbiggrin: