PDA

View Full Version : Care to comment on my artificer?

questionmark693
2015-01-17, 04:11 PM
So I'm starting a new campaign soon, and I've been told we will have plenty of gold and time to spend on crafting, so I decided I'd finally give Artificer a chance. We were given 77 points, and told to spread those to the six attributes, a minimum of seven and maximum of 18 (before racial modifiers). I'm currently looking at playing a gray elf with attributes as follows:
STR 7 (9), Dex 12 (10), Con 10 (12), INT 20 (18), Wis 10, CHA 18
I'm looking at the artisan feats to help with mitigating costs and time spent, and I can take two flaws, so I can take both. We start at level two, and my dm has said that we are using the pathfinder system for crafting magic items. So I can make things that are not potions, spell trigger, or spell completion by just making a high spellcraft check, and for the ones that are, I can make with a high umd check. What do you guys think?

Threadnaught
2015-01-17, 05:00 PM
I think that you aren't playing a Meleeficer, or Blastificer based on those stats.

You look like a Craftificer, who may be going Hordificer.

Since you're putting so much into your crafting, I recommend you take Craft Construct and Improved Homunculus at the earliest opportunity, that way you can contribute more directly to encounters than by simply giving Magic Items to team mates.
Additionally, don't forget about your Infusions, they may not do much overall, but they're the best way to assist your team mates at the lower levels with that stat array.

questionmark693
2015-01-17, 05:03 PM
So I'm going to admit to a lack of knowledge here and state that I'm not super familiar with any of those terms.....I think I get what a meleeficer, craftificer, and hordificer are, but whats a blastificer?

Oracle_of_Void
2015-01-17, 06:18 PM
A blastericer is an artificer who focuses on making offensive wands to blow up enemies. I have a question though: you said that you're using the Pathfinder item system, which uses mostly time and gold pieces. Artificer was designed for D&D, which uses time and experience points for crafting. Is your table using some kind of conversion? If so, please share.

phlidwsn
2015-01-17, 09:39 PM
If you don't recognize those types of artificers, you may want to give the Artificer Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0) a readover

Threadnaught
2015-01-17, 09:39 PM
I am working with as high a UMD bonus as possible on 5-H-4-D-0, my Warforged Artificer in MetaMyconid's game, but I will ask him if he'd allow me to retrain Skill Focus (Use Magic Device) into something else once my check bonus improves enough. Perhaps at level 5, I'll retrain it to Craft Wondrous Item, the Craft Wondrous Item Bonus Feat to Craft Magic Arms and Armor, and the Craft Magic Arms and Armor Bonus Feat at 5th level, to Craft Construct, which is something I feel you'd benefit from.

As well as a quick reading of this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=177.0) as it'll help you decide which Constructs you wish to be a part of your infinite army.

Also there are ways to boost even an Artificer's Caster Level, which may be useful for getting some of the more powerful Constructs early on, good luck paying the gp and xp costs though.

questionmark693
2015-01-18, 02:59 AM
I don't see why we'd need a conversion...except for the craft reserve anyways, which we converted at a 5 gp to 1 xp rate. I appreciate the links and other input :)