PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Changeling Druid: Disguise Self in Wild Shape

Wiggins
2015-01-17, 04:46 PM
As I understand it, Wild Shape is no longer based off of Polymorph as it says in my copy of the PHB, but on Alternate Form?
So the creature type of the caster no longer changes?

So what happens if I use Disguise Self, either by having the Trickery Domain and Natural Spell, or by being a Changeling, while wild shaped into something that doesn't look within 1 foot of alterations humanoid?

I can't appear to be a giant or aberration, because that isn't my creature type.

Do I use the size restriction of the monster I'm pretending to be, but the type restriction of the original shape?

So my Umber Hulk or Cave Troll would appear to be a particularly powerfully built Orc or Bugbear? Or for more human shaped places, possibly a Half-Ogre or a Goliath?

eggynack
2015-01-17, 04:56 PM
It is true that type doesn't change, but that's irrelevant in this case. Disguise self is based on body type, rather than actual type, so a druid wild shape'd into a bear would have the body type of a bear. From that point, you can do as the spell says, which doesn't seem to include the ability to look like a different creature. You can become a larger bear, or a shorter bear, or a bear with a mustache, or a bear with an entirely different color of fur (you could maybe disguise yourself as a different kind of bear), but it doesn't look like you could fake being a tiger.

Chronos
2015-01-17, 04:58 PM
Alter Self is limited by creature type, but Disguise Self is limited by general body shape. While "general body shape" isn't rigorously defined for all creatures, you do definitely change your body shape when you use Wildshape. So you could, for instance, turn yourself into a lion, and then make yourself look like a bear, since both lion and bear have the same general body shape.

Wiggins
2015-01-17, 06:27 PM
So I should be looking for general skeletal structure and musculature? So for an Umber Hulk I could maybe manage an "Awakened Gorilla"?

nedz
2015-01-17, 09:24 PM
Alter Self is limited by creature type, but Disguise Self is limited by general body shape. While "general body shape" isn't rigorously defined for all creatures, you do definitely change your body shape when you use Wildshape. So you could, for instance, turn yourself into a lion, and then make yourself look like a bear, since both lion and bear have the same general body shape.
I think that this is the correct interpretation — but any given DM might rule this differently.

The spell does not provide the abilities or mannerisms of the chosen form, nor does it alter the perceived tactile (touch) or audible (sound) properties of you or your equipment.
You bear would walk with catlike grace though, and have an un-bear like roar.

Chronos
2015-01-17, 09:39 PM
"Am I a lion? Nobody's ever asked me that before. But I suppose you could say that I'm a lion-- I do have a mighty roar."

deuxhero
2015-01-17, 09:43 PM
@eggynack

Note that while the spell says you can't change your body type (and polymorph ones say you can't be a specific individual) it doesn't matter as it gives you a +10 to disguise that still works regardless.