PDA

View Full Version : World Tournament Story Ideas Help

Thrathgnar
2015-01-17, 04:59 PM
My PCs in Grehawk have just finished solving a political conflict in Yeomanry, and are now on their way to Celene to find out secrets about one of their past. After they finish that part up, I'm planning on them travelling to Greyhawk for a World Tournament to fight NPCs from around the world. I want it to be a 16 participant elimination tournament, but my problem is I don't know what to do for a preliminary round to determine who gets to be in the 16. I'd also appreciate plot ideas for this part of the story. Thanks!

Envyus
2015-01-17, 06:57 PM
My PCs in Grehawk have just finished solving a political conflict in Yeomanry, and are now on their way to Celene to find out secrets about one of their past. After they finish that part up, I'm planning on them travelling to Greyhawk for a World Tournament to fight NPCs from around the world. I want it to be a 16 participant elimination tournament, but my problem is I don't know what to do for a preliminary round to determine who gets to be in the 16. I'd also appreciate plot ideas for this part of the story. Thanks!

This is pretty easy. A simple brawl. Divide contestants into 16 Blocks. Then have the entire block fight it out, the one standing at the end moves into the top 16.

As for Plot Ideas. Maybe one of the prizes is a magic item that while being useful in it's own thing if it's comes in contact with another magic item a gate can be opened between it's location and another on the same plane. Maybe Iuz has sent some of his Boneshadow to participate in the tournament. If one of his Boneshadow wins, at the award ceremony were they are presented with the prizes the Boneshadow member will reveal he serves Iuz and that the servants of Iuz have proved themselves the best warriors in the land and then using the other magic item use his prize to open a gate between there and the Empire of Iuz were a waiting army is preparing to march through it to conquer the city. If all of the Boneshadow members lose in the tournament then while they can't announce the Empires superiority they can simply try and steal the prize so they can still open the gate.

Thrathgnar
2015-01-17, 07:37 PM
This is pretty easy. A simple brawl. Divide contestants into 16 Blocks. Then have the entire block fight it out, the one standing at the end moves into the top 16.

As for Plot Ideas. Maybe one of the prizes is a magic item that while being useful in it's own thing if it's comes in contact with another magic item a gate can be opened between it's location and another on the same plane. Maybe Iuz has sent some of his Boneshadow to participate in the tournament. If one of his Boneshadow wins, at the award ceremony were they are presented with the prizes the Boneshadow member will reveal he serves Iuz and that the servants of Iuz have proved themselves the best warriors in the land and then using the other magic item use his prize to open a gate between there and the Empire of Iuz were a waiting army is preparing to march through it to conquer the city. If all of the Boneshadow members lose in the tournament then while they can't announce the Empires superiority they can simply try and steal the prize so they can still open the gate.

I really like this idea! I was actually just wondering how to work in the boneshadow into the campaign as a whole. I already have several NPCs attending the tournament with their own agendas, but having maybe two of the Boneshadow in it with that kinda plot line would give the tournament real meaning and a bit more depth.