PDA

View Full Version : [3.PF] Most Awesome battlefield control spells.

The Vagabond
2015-01-17, 08:26 PM
Now, I'm not talking about the best battlefield control spells, what I'm asking about is: What are the most Awesome battlefield control spells. What spells can make folks gape in awe, what spells completely alter the way the battlefield work, what spells make your foes shake in terror, what spells make foes excrete in their pants?

All in all, what spells are Awesome.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-17, 08:35 PM
Briar Web. All the plants in the area just grew razorspines and are now grasping at people. If fluffed right you have living vines trying to stab people.

Also Acid Fog. You just summoned a lime green fog that has nothing but horrified screams coming out of it.

Svata
2015-01-17, 08:41 PM
Always been a fan of Freezing Fog. Solid Fog+Grease+(D/T)? Yes, please.

eggynack
2015-01-17, 08:43 PM
I've always loved blizzard and control winds. Granted, they're probably also two of the best battlefield control spells, but I'm a fan of anything that's full of value and efficiency, especially when that thing can also destroy a town.

ericgrau
2015-01-17, 08:46 PM
Always been a fan of Freezing Fog. Solid Fog+Grease+(D/T)? Yes, please.
Similarly sleet storm. It's just so big and puts so many foes in shambles. No D/T but it's low level.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-17, 09:04 PM
Does Boreal Wind qualify as BFC? I mean it does make a rather large section of the battlefield inhospitable.

Renen
2015-01-17, 09:08 PM
The "Ragnarok" Fimbulwinter.
The size of the battlefield you control is measured in miles, and for something to survive it has to be especially strong.

Know(Nothing)
2015-01-17, 09:10 PM
Kelgore's Grave Mist! Unless the creatures you hit with it have SR, it's guaranteed fatigue and some cold damage, which means no chargers! Depending on interpretation the fatigue might either go away after the duration of the spell or just be in effect until the condition is removed-- which means it likely stacks with itself if you hit them with a second casting. This can shut down an entire encounter if your enemies are bunched up right. For extra fun, have some undead minions skip harmlessly through the fog and rip apart your weakened foes.

Another fun one is No Light. It's a cantrip, so if you play PF rules you can pop this off constantly. 20 foot radius of darkness that can be seen through with Darkvision. As long as you have Darkvision and your enemies don't, you can carve them up at your leisure.

YossarianLives
2015-01-17, 09:16 PM
Tidal Wave. It is actually pretty atrocious but you certainly control a lot of battlefield with it.

The Vagabond
2015-01-18, 01:44 PM
All of these look freaking awesome. But I need more. My desire is burning in my chest.

Troacctid
2015-01-18, 02:15 PM
Black tentacles is a classic. It locks down your enemies, but unlike solid fog-type spells, it makes them easier to hit (denying their Dex to AC) instead of giving them concealment. And even if they avoid being grappled, it still impedes movement.

CGNefarious
2015-01-18, 06:00 PM
Reverse gravity can be pretty flashy if used right.

Taveena
2015-01-18, 06:13 PM
MAW OF CHAOS!

You gotta read it in that hammy over-the-top voice. It's just so spectacular.

Blackhawk748
2015-01-18, 06:50 PM
MAW OF CHAOS!

You gotta read it in that hammy over-the-top voice. It's just so spectacular.

*ahem* *in my best Lord Carron voice* MAW OF CHAOS!!!!!!!!!

Like that? :smallwink:

avr
2015-01-18, 07:26 PM
Create Pit is efficient but not awesome. Then you fill the pit with a summoned swarm of spiders and you suddenly get respect for your evil wizardlyness.

Deophaun
2015-01-18, 07:44 PM
A huge monstrous centipede from summon monster III may not seem like awesome BFC, until you realize that, with Augment Summoning, it can push objects weighing almost seven tons, which is enough to move any siege engine except for the heavy trebuchet. And it can do this while clinging to a wall.

So, next time you're a level wizard 5 and need to defend a castle from a half dozen siege towers, you know what spell to cast.

YossarianLives
2015-01-18, 07:44 PM
*ahem* *in my best Lord Carron voice* MAW OF CHAOS!!!!!!!!!

Like that? :smallwink:
I think you've got it right.:smallwink:

Yahzi
2015-01-19, 05:28 AM
Entangle. No, seriously, this spell is an auto-shutdown until all of your foes can fly.

Eldan
2015-01-19, 05:34 AM
Anything with explosive spell, really. As far as I'm concerned, that should have been the default state of blasting spells, with a non-pressure producing variety as a metamagic feat.

Create Pit is nice. But the higher level version Hungry Pit is much more awesome. It's a hole 100 ft. deep that eats things that fall in.

Similarly, Fiendish Codex (I forget which one) has Abyssal Rift. it creates a rift sixty feet deep that makes evil conjuration spells stronger and is filled with fire, evil divine energy and black tentacles that drag nearby creatures and objects into it. Also, after a few rounds, the rift closes and everything still in it is moved to a random layer of the Abyss.

Oh yeah. And Iceberg. It does what you think it should. Drops an iceberg from the sky.