PDA

View Full Version : Goblins

Shadowscale
2015-01-18, 04:05 AM
In this edition what would we be looking at for a playable bugbear race?

Kryx
2015-01-18, 04:27 AM
You can see a version based on Musicus rating: Race Catalogue (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eiNfWAq14MKhXgLEsxnYYQjdX2Ku4cib1tP4UHis1J0/edit#heading=h.dz61r7hxwoiy)

Bugbear (Score: 5)
2 Strength = 2
1 Dexterity = 1
Surprise Attack = .5
Your First attack during a surprise round deals an extra 2d6 damage.
Brute = 1.5
Your melee weapon attacks deal an extra die of damage.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-19, 11:56 AM
You can see a version based on Musicus rating: Race Catalogue (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1eiNfWAq14MKhXgLEsxnYYQjdX2Ku4cib1tP4UHis1J0/edit#heading=h.dz61r7hxwoiy)

Bugbear (Score: 5)
2 Strength = 2
1 Dexterity = 1
Surprise Attack = .5
Your First attack during a surprise round deals an extra 2d6 damage.
Brute = 1.5
Your melee weapon attacks deal an extra die of damage.

I think surprise attack is to niche for a racial ability being used as a PC race.

Also Brute might be a bit to strong compared to tiger races. This sort of things works only on crits for the half orc.

Also it needs some skill and other stuff to round it out as a PC race.

Kryx
2015-01-19, 12:59 PM
I think surprise attack is to niche for a racial ability being used as a PC race.

Also Brute might be a bit to strong compared to tiger races. This sort of things works only on crits for the half orc.

Also it needs some skill and other stuff to round it out as a PC race.

I agree, a decent amount of it should change. I was just suggesting it as a sample to look at.

This be Richard
2015-01-19, 02:00 PM
Less familiar with bugbears than I'd care to admit, but I understand that they're supposed to be good at stealth and have strong hearing and vision.
You could actually do a lot worse than borrowing a few things from elves. Darkvision, proficiency in Perception. Stealth is trickier given how it's generally handled with other races, giving situational advantages rather than flat mechanical boosts that apply all over the place.

Other features that might be worth playing with...
Maybe a small damage boost for attacks with advantage? Proficiency with a few weapons probably wouldn't be a bad idea. They're supposed to support themselves primarily through violent means, right? Or maybe proficiency with improvised weapons? Some armor, maybe?

I could be way off base here, but I have the impression that their stats would probably sit somewhere in the middle of wood elves, mountain dwarves, and half-orcs.

CrusaderJoe
2015-01-19, 02:31 PM
I agree, a decent amount of it should change. I was just suggesting it as a sample to look at.

Gotcha.

Might be a bit strong but it is mostly based on the Gnome lol.

Hobgoblin
Alignment: Hobgoblin society are always Lawful of some sort. Hobgoblins raised away from hobgoblin societies can be of any alignment.

Ability Score Adjustment: +2 Str/+1 Dex

Size: Medium
Speed: 30
Darkvision: 60'

Hobgoblin Training: Due to your years of military training and fighting against the races of magic you have advantage on Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution saving throws versus magical effects.

Natural Soldier: You gain the "Menacing Attack" maneuver which you may use once per short or long rest. You do not gain a superiority die or the extra damage from the superiority die.

Hobgoblin Weaponry: You gain proficiency with the whip.