PDA

View Full Version : DM Help I need help catching my players' wealth up a bit.

Elvencloud
2015-01-18, 08:02 AM
So, I asked for a copy of every character sheet my players had, so I could start rolling some stuff in secret again (stealth, disguise and the like)... and reading over the sheets I realized I've made a mistake.

I've noticed over the last couple sessions my players seemed to struggle more and more, things are hitting them easier with everything, and they're having a harder and harder time hitting back. Makes an epic adventure, but I feel like I'm almost killing them every time we meet at the table (and one of them has... twice). Realized that they're wayyyyy under the wealth by level for level 8- by almost 10K+ each.

TLDR: Would like ideas for what/how to regear my party of a Brawler, Ranger (archery focused), and sorcerer so they're closer to wealth. They'll be level 9 by the end of next session, and each are about 23K short of that goal.

Any ideas help tremendously. Thanks!

Dunditschia
2015-01-18, 09:08 AM
Have them find a dragon's hoard (or another large amount of cash or cash equivalent)? You players could then just use their share of the wealth to buy their own items.

Alternatively, have some powerful NPC they've done mission for be grateful to them, and let them pick some magic items from that NPC's armory/be crafted by the NPC (or a mage in his employ).

If your players are capable of picking their own items anyway, but otherwise I would just advise them OOC for what they should pick/buy.

Hunor
2015-01-18, 09:30 AM
If they aren't in the midst of killing something epic/on a quest for a major donor, you could always have them discover an ancient stash that is now guarded by some creatures who should never have that kinda of wealth. I'm picturing the scene from the Hobbit where, after dispatching 3 trolls, the party discovers 3 magical (orc-/goblin-bane) swords, as well as a small chest of gold.

Callin
2015-01-18, 09:40 AM
I agree with both above posts. Have the PCs fall into it as a good story/plot point.

Edit- going with the dragon hoard it could be an ancient gold dragon on the verge of death who they stumble upon. He tasks them with a quest and gives them x amount of his hoard to go accomplish it.

Bronk
2015-01-18, 11:57 AM
You could put them in a situation where they could act as mercs for hire, then allow them to pick their own jobs based on what they think they could get out of it. That puts the decision into their own hands more so it won't feel forced.

The earlier dragon horde idea would fit in well here... they decide to go after a dragon menacing a town, and the horde could actually include specific magic items from previous, unsuccessful mercs. Those could even be just what your characters need...

Elvencloud
2015-01-18, 12:21 PM
The earlier dragon horde idea would fit in well here... they decide to go after a dragon menacing a town, and the horde could actually include specific magic items from previous, unsuccessful mercs. Those could even be just what your characters need...

Like the dragon horde idea, immensely. Any other fantasy monsters that keep massive hordes of treasure though? They ARE in an ancient library right now, but I don't want to just give it to them. You guys think a vamp or something like that could horde the right treasure? Otherwise, I could put maybe... a dracolich. *shrugs*

Second part of the question: What kind of gear do you think a level 9 archer, brawler, and sorceress might want/need? It's been years since I've been a player, but I'm afraid handing out a +3 Shocking bow would be too strong, etc.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-18, 12:32 PM
What part of the game have they enjoyed the most? If they lean to roleplay or have a backstory they wish to explore, tie the wealth to that. If they like combat, tie it to an awesome fight. If they like looting, well...Gem-encrusted golems they can pry the loot off of. If they like exploring, have a secret passage with loot.

As for the vampire...Probably. Undead, so they just hoard for centuries. They might be tied to a location. For the brawler, I suggest some nice armor. They seem to be the only tank, and I doubt others will mind or notice terribly if it ends up being a little bit TOO nice if it keeps them alive. Given that it is a library, I assume scrolls would not be out of the question for the sorcerer. Is the vampire itself a sorcerer, and might have some sorcerer themed loot? Maybe the vampire can summon an undead or has taken control of a construct left in the ancient library, and has given them ancient bows that were lying around.

DrMotives
2015-01-18, 12:39 PM
Dragon magazine #343 has hex & tome dragons, an ancient abandoned library seems like an ideal hiding hole for either of those. Otherwise you could use a trap haunt using the wealth of previous unsuccessful adventurers as bait, or um.... the old lady from the beginning of "Ghostbusters"? Seriously, a magic research lab of something like a heucuva or a lich could have lots of wealth that was supposed to be both raw materials for making magic, and the finished products.
Also, there's a creature called the Scalamagdrion in "Magic of the Faerūn" page 188, which is a large CR 7 dragon that specifically is listed as a guardian of books. It's found as a trap on a book, an illustration of a dragon that then flies out of some unnamed pocket dimension and attacks intruders. The thing is also listed as having "double standard" treasure. It's close to ideal for your needs.

herrhauptmann
2015-01-18, 03:35 PM
If they're undergeared and struggling, a dragon (or worse: dracolich) is a bad idea. Dragons are already under-cr'd, so a CR8 dragon for your ECL 8 party would probably be overwhelming. Add in all the undead goodness of a dracolich, and you're looking at a TPK.

Some giants might be a good idea, especially if you put the giants in terrain that's disadvantageous for them like a narrow ravine where the PC's can fight 2x2, but only face one giant at a time. Another option, will be to have them find the bodies of some other adventurers.

To help them out, it might be a better idea to tell us what they currently have. Technically we could tell you to give them all +X armor which will bring them up to WBL, but wont' help them since they keep failing their saves. We could give them boosts to their saves, but that wont' help them if their problem is hitting consistently.

edit:
Also, it sounds like there's only 3 players in the party. And probably badly optimized builds at that. As a small party, they can't handle fights as easily as a party of 4 or 5. Where a party of 4 will have a "difficult fight," they'll be treating it like an "overpowering fight." So your fights might honestly be too difficult.

Elvencloud
2015-01-18, 06:59 PM
If they're undergeared and struggling, a dragon (or worse: dracolich) is a bad idea. Dragons are already under-cr'd, so a CR8 dragon for your ECL 8 party would probably be overwhelming. Add in all the undead goodness of a dracolich, and you're looking at a TPK.

Some giants might be a good idea, especially if you put the giants in terrain that's disadvantageous for them like a narrow ravine where the PC's can fight 2x2, but only face one giant at a time. Another option, will be to have them find the bodies of some other adventurers.

To help them out, it might be a better idea to tell us what they currently have. Technically we could tell you to give them all +X armor which will bring them up to WBL, but wont' help them since they keep failing their saves. We could give them boosts to their saves, but that wont' help them if their problem is hitting consistently.

edit:
Also, it sounds like there's only 3 players in the party. And probably badly optimized builds at that. As a small party, they can't handle fights as easily as a party of 4 or 5. Where a party of 4 will have a "difficult fight," they'll be treating it like an "overpowering fight." So your fights might honestly be too difficult.

I did forget to mention I'm running a cleric NPC that they have made friends with. So there are "four" but I'm not worried so much about gearing the NPC as much as the players.

Normal CR8 encounters have been fine and dandy, it's just whenever I throw something that is supposed to be challenging it's... near death sometimes. Usually a cr or two above them, with prep time.

Thrice Dead Cat
2015-01-18, 07:36 PM
I like the idea of the ancient library being a forgotten "hoard" of a tome dragon. You could also possibly have said dragon show up, strike a deal with the characters and wealth them that way.

Studoku
2015-01-18, 07:37 PM
Like the dragon horde idea, immensely. Any other fantasy monsters that keep massive hordes of treasure though? They ARE in an ancient library right now, but I don't want to just give it to them. You guys think a vamp or something like that could horde the right treasure? Otherwise, I could put maybe... a dracolich. *shrugs*
How likely are they to steal priceless books?

jaydubs
2015-01-18, 07:50 PM
An unusually generous NPC offers to be a patron of the party, seeing as how they're up and coming in the world. Gives them tons of money, with some vague request of being friends and how friends should help each other out whenever possible. Later on (a few weeks pass or similar), the same NPC reappears with a request for a rather difficult "favor." If they accept, that sets the stage for the next adventure. If they decline, the NPC becomes offended, with that offense leading to some difficult times for the party (a different type of adventure, or an ongoing villain/nemesis).

Elvencloud
2015-01-18, 11:30 PM
How likely are they to steal priceless books?

50/50. One of the players knew the former owner of the tower (from a previous campaign) but that doesn't mean her character would care. And honestly, the tower itself is worth quite a bit, but I figured they wouldn't actually steal anything. Who knows?

Elvencloud
2015-01-18, 11:37 PM
An unusually generous NPC offers to be a patron of the party, seeing as how they're up and coming in the world. Gives them tons of money, with some vague request of being friends and how friends should help each other out whenever possible. Later on (a few weeks pass or similar), the same NPC reappears with a request for a rather difficult "favor." If they accept, that sets the stage for the next adventure. If they decline, the NPC becomes offended, with that offense leading to some difficult times for the party (a different type of adventure, or an ongoing villain/nemesis).

Not sure I'll use this idea for the current situation, but I'd love to do that as my hook to take down more Razmiran priests (oh pathfinder, you created a wonderful hated enemy).

Barbarian Horde
2015-01-19, 01:03 AM
Make a Pinata of a Red dragon (Living construct) and fill it with gold. Use the below video for the boss fight music... I mean your gonna do it one way or another. Might as well make it out to be what it really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klVe7_2UEQ8
Players show up
Pinata looks over
Pinata: Sheeet--

Personally I thought this was hilarious and I might do this for my PCs.

Use this website below to make sure your player's wealth is where is should be
http://www.dndarchive.com/forums/depth-roleplay-qa/character-wealth-level

Option B
Dont worry about it. You party doesn't have to have gold.

Arbane
2015-01-19, 04:57 AM
You could always just have all your enemies be a little better equipped than usual. If one goblin/orc/ogre/whatever somehow got a +1 ring of protection it won't save its hide, but the PCs can use it or sell it. Maybe the bandits they attacked had just sacked a merchant's caravan a few days ago, and still have most of the loot.

As for equipment they can use, I hesitate to say the obvious, but:

Brawler: Cloak of resistance, amulet of mighty fists, AC boosters, +str or con belt.
Ranger: Magic bow, magic arrows, Cloak of resistance, AC boosters, +dex or con items.
Sorcerer: Magic staff (more spells!), scrolls, cloak of resistance (there's a theme here...) +cha or con items.

Plus, potions and wondrous items tend to be good for anyone.

Yahzi
2015-01-19, 05:23 AM
They ARE in an ancient library right now,
They open a book... and a treasure map falls out. A few traps, some magical guardians, and poof! Your players are loaded!

For bonus points, act all disappointed when you roll on the "random table of books" chart.

herrhauptmann
2015-01-19, 12:22 PM
Normal CR8 encounters have been fine and dandy, it's just whenever I throw something that is supposed to be challenging it's... near death sometimes. Usually a cr or two above them, with prep time.
I think the problem might be their builds, as much as their gear.