PDA

View Full Version : The First Adventure

Someonelse
2015-01-18, 01:32 PM
So, as I understand it (maybe I'm wrong, IDK), D&D started with a war gaming club lead by Gary Gygax and one day he presented a new game where they would play individual heroes rather than entire armies and their mission was to infiltrate a castle through the dungeon. I've actually used this basic idea a few times over the years in adventures I've written. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the details of that adventure were ever published? Or even like, a basic outline or something?

jedipotter
2015-01-18, 05:14 PM
So, as I understand it (maybe I'm wrong, IDK), D&D started with a war gaming club lead by Gary Gygax and one day he presented a new game where they would play individual heroes rather than entire armies and their mission was to infiltrate a castle through the dungeon. I've actually used this basic idea a few times over the years in adventures I've written. I was just wondering if anyone knows if the details of that adventure were ever published? Or even like, a basic outline or something?

You'd want the Adventure module Castle Greywawk

Someonelse
2015-01-19, 09:27 PM
You'd want the Adventure module Castle Greywawk

duh...
I should have known that.
Thanks and sorry for wasting your time.
:smallbiggrin:

MKV
2015-01-19, 10:04 PM
Well, if your looking for the true origin of D&D it can get quite complicated but I prefer to start from when Dave Arneson started his Blackmoor campaign. Both castle Blackmoor and Castle Greyhawk have had several attempts to detail the dungeon beneath. The problem with these attempts is twofold, firstly they're so damn big! the goal of these campaigns was pretty much to explore these dungeons. The idea of having an over reaching story in a D&D campaign was only added later. Secondly these castles changed constantly changed to fit the needs of players and the DM on any given night. Also as a side note the module detailed in the previous posting was actually a parody module meant to mock Gary after he left TSR. The module is badly written and widely considered to be among the worst D&D modules ever made.