PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with interesting flaws for a new campaign

Compliant
2015-01-18, 04:30 PM
I'm starting a new campaign and as part of it I want all of my players to have some sort of unique major flaw. With this flaw I plan on creating some sort of benefit to balance it out.
My ideas so far:

Blind
- Downside: the obvious stuff (can't read, discern color, etc)
- Upside: "Blindsight", to some range, based on movement ie; blind samurai type character

One-Arm
- Downside: any check involving the use of two hands/arms becomes much harder (climb, swim, disable device, etc)
- Upside: not sure, probably 1.5 times strength modifier on attacks and ability to wield two-handed weapons in one hand

Jinx
- Downside: all d20s (skill checks, attacks, etc) take a -2 and natural 1s auto confirm (this effect extends to allies with 10')
- Upside: this effect extends to enemies within 10'. Characters natural 20s auto confirm and they lose the -2 to rolls for a round if someone fails a roll because of them

Masochist ?
- Downside: above 75% health get a negative (not sure how much) to all attack, damage, and skill check rolls
- Upside: below 50% health get a plus to all attack, damage, and skill check rolls, maybe more if below 25%

Lack of Control ?
- Downside: every action entails some amount of damage. The amount would depend on the type, maybe 2 for a move action and 1 for a swift action (the damage would scale with hit dice
- Upside: movement speed increased by 10ft, attacks would have 2x strength modifier, possibly having 2 or more swift actions

There's probably going to be at least 6 people in the campaign and would like them to have a few options. I realize these would mostly be for melee character, I never play caster or ranged so couldn't think of anything creative for them.

I would appreciate any additional ideas for flaws or advice on what I already came up with (I'm not sure how balanced or fun some of these are)

Blackhawk748
2015-01-18, 06:56 PM
Minor nitpick, these are less flaws and more Traits, albeit traits with a bigger downside and bigger upside than most. Lack of control seems....weird. Honestly i would only take it on a character that has some form of self healing, like a Troll. Granted i am then counteracting the negative, but i am also playing a Troll

Judge_Worm
2015-01-18, 07:52 PM
I would call these traits, not flaws. Flaws allow a player to gain an extra feat. These have a big enough upside to make them powerful choices as a flaw, maybe not as powerful as chicken-infested but still maybe too powerful to gain a feat on top of them.

That being said, some from my personal homebrew list of traits:

Deep Thinker-
Gain: +5 on all concentration, spellcraft, and autohypnosis checks.
Lose: -2 on any Reflex saves, and always count as flatfooted while preparing to cast a spell.

Crackshot (broken as-is)-
Gain: No accuracy penalty for distance when using a bow, crossbow, or firearm. Can target touch ac 1/day equal to BAB (a level 5 fighter gets it 5/day) with a ranged weapon.
Lose: Ranged attacks become full-round actions, and provoke attacks of opportunity.

Compliant
2015-01-18, 09:23 PM
I guess it is a bit of a misnomer to just call these flaws but I don't know what else to call them.

I should have explained better. The idea is that they're not flaws in the traditional sense (where you gain a feat) but more of major traits with a downside.

Lack of Control is weird. The idea is that the character always over exerts them self to the point of damaging their own body. I'm still not 100% on it but I feel like it would make for interesting play.

I like the Deep Thinker idea Judge_Worm

goto124
2015-01-18, 10:43 PM
Blind would be... hard. Can you really play a blind character when every other player at the table is recieving sighted descriptions of everything? Also, aren't mechanics and much of roleplay based around the basic assumption of being able to see? A blind character would require an entirely whole new world with completely overturned game rules to match. It'll be interesting to play, especially with people who're blind IRL, but hard to simply insert into an existing world.

I have some funny ideas though. To be used only in comedy campaigns!

Special Attractiveness
Everyone around the character can see and smell the character's beauty. It does not affect their combat or concentration, but said character will be the preferred target of flirts and lewd jokes over everyone else.

All in the Body
A body part that can be found on the character is chosen. Whenever someone rolls a natural 1, or otherwise fails critically, whatever action it tried to take will always hurt the character's chosen body part. The DM may allow reality to warp for the above to happen.

torrasque666
2015-01-18, 10:50 PM
All in the Body
A body part that can be found on the character is chosen. Whenever someone rolls a natural 1, or otherwise fails critically, whatever action it tried to take will always hurt the character's chosen body part. The DM may allow reality to warp for the above to happen.
Does the DM get to pick the part? Because if so, cue all the groin-shots. Roll a nat 1? Roll to save against nausea.

goto124
2015-01-18, 10:54 PM
ignore please

Compliant
2015-01-19, 07:37 AM
goto124, I really like those ideas.

Yeah, being blind is tricky but not overly so. I'm probably going to have to be creative with what can be understood in an area and the blind player would still rely in other players for certain information.

I also came up with another idea:

Schizophrenic Caster ?
- Upside: The caster gains access to all other schools of magic
- Downside: There is a 25% that the caster will use a different spell than originally planned

I feel like it may work but I also feel like it might slow down the game

Riculf
2015-01-19, 10:02 AM
Some (e.g. One-Armed) are here:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/3.5e_Flaws