PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Made to Kill (Building a Serial Killer)

Alchemyre
2015-01-18, 07:34 PM
Hello guys and gals. I'm working on building, as the title says, a serial killer. I've had plenty of ideas but none that have come to fruition. I am stumbling between the idea of silent killer and charismatic killer. The idea is of a character so obsessed with fate that he/she goes as far as taking it into their own hands if they don't see it enacted on its own. Slayer is probably the best option, but tri-stat with the third stat only being for abilities seems kinda off. While I would love something like bard, there aren't really any super stealthy builds that make the "getting away with it" part easy. While Rogue is the typical go to for any criminal based build, they have the same problems as Slayer (as Slayer is a Rogue/Ranger hybrid). So I just wanted to poke the hive-mind for ideas. The current level is 8, so I would need builds to be around that level, but giving suggestions for later levels helps, too. Thanks in advance!

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-18, 08:35 PM
Sandman Bard perhaps? I do have to ask, how are bards treated in this campaign world? Perhaps they exploit some rule or respect for storytellers to commit their deeds. How does this person kill, anyway? Sorcerer might do well, especially one with a bloodline tied to fate...

Alchemyre
2015-01-18, 08:48 PM
Sandman Bard perhaps? I do have to ask, how are bards treated in this campaign world? Perhaps they exploit some rule or respect for storytellers to commit their deeds. How does this person kill, anyway? Sorcerer might do well, especially one with a bloodline tied to fate...

It's a homebrew setting with lots of creational freedom. Bards can be anything from street rats to activists (Oratory) to grand performers. People aren't really limited by their class title. A bard doesn't necessarily have to be a "bard". And they kill out of impulse. Usually taking in mind the reading (they use harrow cards) to match the style. Their pressuring conscious is only silenced after a kill. So the style is mostly find, kill, clean, repent and refresh. I considered the Cleaner slayer archetype...BUT it is EXTREMELY situational and is better for roleplay and espionage heavy campaigns. I remember there being an archetype (maybe a PC) that gave a bonus for spontaneously commiting crimes (and likewise for allies that willingly let you) but I couldn't find it.

Sayt
2015-01-19, 12:03 AM
I actually already have a build for this, and it's only one level over.

Hobgoblin Slayer 9
CE Medium Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Init: +4; Senses: Perception +10, Darkvision 60ft
Defence
AC 22 (+8 Armour, +2 Dex, +2 deflection)
HP 97 (9d10+27)
Fort +9 Ref +8 Will +1;

Offence
Speed 20ft
Melee +1 Cruel Heavy Flail +14, +9 (1d10+7, 19-20/2);
Special Attacks Sneak Attack +3d6, Studied Target (+2)

Statistics
Str 18, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 14 Wis 7, Cha 15
Base Atk +9; CMB +13; CMD 27;
Feats Weapon Focus (Heavy Flail), Skill Focus (Stealth), Dazzling Display, Cornugon Smash, Hellcat Stealth, Power Attack (RCS), Furious Focus(RCS), Shatter Defences(CT)
Skills Acrobatics +5, Bluff +14, Climb +5, Disguise +14, Intimidate +23, Knowledge (Local) +14, Perception +10, Sense Motive +10, Stealth +24, Survival +5, Swim +5
Languages Common, Goblin, Dwarven, Orc
SQ Slayer Talents (RCS Power Attack, RCS Furious Focus, Fast Stealth, Combat Trick (Shatter Defenses), Stalker, Track (+4)
Gear +1 Cruel Heavy Flail, +2 Belt of Giant Strength, Maiden’s Helm, +2 Improved Shadow Breastplate, Ring of Protection +2, Handy Haversack, Fighter’s Kit, Small Tent, Climber’s Kit, 2x Disguise Kit, Infiltrator’s Kit, Spelunking Kit, Mwk. Survival Kit.

For a less stealthy, more violent serial killer, drop Hellcat Stealth and SF (Stealth) for Hurtful and another feat of your choice.

Milo v3
2015-01-19, 03:48 AM
Is Path of War allowed? The Harbinger is effectively serial killer the class, though it fits the silent killer more than charismatic killer.

Alchemyre
2015-01-19, 05:00 AM
I actually already have a build for this, and it's only one level over.

For a less stealthy, more violent serial killer, drop Hellcat Stealth and SF (Stealth) for Hurtful and another feat of your choice.
I assume the Hobgoblin is just for stats and abilities?

Is Path of War allowed? The Harbinger is effectively serial killer the class, though it fits the silent killer more than charismatic killer.
ToB/PoW was specifically not allowed. Not due to the GM's particular hatred (they actually don't mind those books) but more for balance issues and so other players don't get upset.

Spore
2015-01-19, 05:56 AM
I'd go for a mundane class since the mysticism of spells really take away from a seriously demented psychopath. A mundane killer is one that could very well be executed in real life whereas magic always pulls him back into the realm of fantasy for the players/DM as your audience.

You should first pick your "poison" between stealth killer or brutal murderer. This defines your class basically. A slayer CAN be stealthy but his combat advantage isn't as pronounced towards the shadows. A ninja IS really stealthy but lacks in open combat.

I wouldn't recommend a bard but I could see an Arcane Trickster (using Illusions to lull a target into safety, to expand the cruelty by using Silent Image to show a kid the "recorded" kill of its parents etc.

So Jack the Ripper would be a Slayer. Ezio Auditore would be a Fighter/Rogue(/Assassin). And Jeremy Poppycock would be a Rogue/Illusionist/Arcane Trickster.

Alchemyre
2015-01-19, 06:04 AM
Wise things go here.

Well the character doesn't want to kill. So usually it would be a slow sneak up (imagine the guy in the trench coat that keeps following you through the streets) followed by a sudden burst attack (quickly pulling the knife and gutting you). I don't quite think they are anywhere near cruel enough to do the silent image thing. In fact, they would rather not have to kill at all, but it is "painful" not to. Sort of an itch that just gets worse when you scratch it. I'm sure multiple episodes of Criminal Minds can help with visualizing this. I was leaning toward something burst-y in damage. Where they get in, attack, then get out. And if the initial attack (or a short follow up) didn't kill them, then they would run away, consult the cards, then see if they need to go back and finish the job. I was leaning toward Mundane, myself. But there aren't many options for a mundane charisma character (Swashbuckler...but that doesn't have much insta-kill potential).

Spore
2015-01-19, 06:34 AM
From a narrative standpoint anything using Coup de Grace goes. I would go as far as to use a class with full Sneak Attack progression (Vivisectionist, Rogue or Ninja) and go into Assassin. For feats you get Sap Adept and Sap Master. So here's the twist.

Your character never deals lethal damage. He just takes people out. He goes out of his way to not hurt his victims but make them unconscious and granting them a swift and painless death (Coup de Grace ruleswise, insta crit plus sneak damage). He uses a sap in melee and Sleeping Arrow/tranquilizing poison at ranged combat. No one in at his mercy has to suffer. But they die regardless. Your character is still evil. And your group will wonder if they aren't the cruel guys splitting orcs and cultists open with their unsharpened axe having them bleed to death. Bonus points for utilizing numbing medicine, roleplaying precise incisions and staying unstained from blood/using white gloves to demonstrate innocence.

You just have to find ways to deal with monsters immune to nonlethal damage. Elementals, Undead and the sort. An vivisectionist alchemist is really fluffy for that (since you can easily refluff alchemy to not being magic at all).

I'd love to chat further but I'm off to work now.

Incorrect
2015-01-19, 06:35 AM
Alchemist Vivisectionist could fit a serial killer really well

You are a human male, aged 30 to 39.
You have above average Int.
You spend most of your time alone; scribbling formulas and making potions.
You have intimate knowledge of humanoid bodies.
You know a wide spectrum of poisons, and make them yourself.
You make cruel experiments on animals.
Sometimes you feel like you are not even human anymore, and your potions and mutagens just make it worse, but it does make it easier to kill.

Sayt
2015-01-19, 08:20 AM
I assume the Hobgoblin is just for stats and abilities?

pretty much. +4 racial intimidate bonus is incredibly good for the Cornugon smash/Shatter Defenses combo, especially when you throw in the Cruel weapon, as it basically lets you have sneak attack+Sickened+Shaken enemy every turn.

Really, human could do just as well, probably.

Edit: For what it's worth, Slayers are one of the few classes that can actually work the 'Assassinate' abilities, because they get to add their Studied Target to their ability DCs, and the Headsman's Blade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/headsman-s-blade), plus ability focus, lets you boost the DCs to mid 40s in the endgame, IIRC. If you don't want them to have a Greatsword, it's not too much effort to substract the cost of a +1 keen Greatsword from the Headsman's Blade and find out how much the assassination and enhancement booster costs.

Also, the build I posted doesn't have to use a Heavy Flail, I just picked it because Hobgoblin's have a few racial feats that use Whips/flails.

Spore
2015-01-19, 03:33 PM
I'm leaving this here:

http://i.imgur.com/G1mKGNY.jpg

I shall pitch in tomorrow if further discussion arises with OP.

DMVerdandi
2015-01-19, 09:20 PM
Honestly, I would pick a barbarian (Urban Archetype).
They have that slasher movie kind of feeling. A strength that somewhat notes a savagery that is natural, rather than nurtured from environment alone. The rage powers show the transformative power that hatred and bloodlust can have on a man, and show just how transformative they can be.

The Urban Barbarian archetype is PERFECT for serial killers. The Controlled rage mechanic still increases the stats (Strength/Constitution/Dexterity)to 8 but you do not get the willpower boost. HOWEVER, that means you CAN still use Int,Wis,Cha Skills while enraged. Perfect for that spree killer.

Alternatively, If you want to not only sharpen yourself with the madness, but spread it, pick a skald. Inspired rage is a tiny bit weaker than regular, BUT, you can spread it to all your allies, and not only that, but the rage powers that you get spread to your allies as well. Think of this as that charismatic killer that just has people begin to turn on that unsuspecting victim, or who has a team of already trained killers, but their bloodlust just starts spilling all over the room. Maybe they start a weird whistle, or sing a mocking lyric, (WARRIORS, COME OUT AND PLAYYYYAYYYY), and that just gets their crew all amped up for the kill.

Urban Barbarian is the quiet one. That unsuspecting guy in the glasses that you never knew was a psychotic wild man, and who has an intensity in his eyes that would make a tiger poop himself.

Skald is that nutcase whom everyone weirdly listens to. Like why would they even follow a clinically insane invalid? Because he's freaking cool. And they can't shake that. When he goes on his rants about the world being a killing ground, and how we should all let loose, we just can't help but actually Pay attention...

atemu1234
2015-01-19, 09:44 PM
If this were 3.5, I'd suggest a rogue. In Pathfinder, I'd say bard is your best option.

Spore
2015-01-20, 12:03 AM
If this were 3.5, I'd suggest a rogue. In Pathfinder, I'd say bard is your best option.

Best as in with the most options but not most fitting.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-20, 01:31 AM
I'd go for a mundane class since the mysticism of spells really take away from a seriously demented psychopath. A mundane killer is one that could very well be executed in real life whereas magic always pulls him back into the realm of fantasy for the players/DM as your audience.

I disagree with this. After all, myths are peppered with evil crazy magic people going on killing sprees, and there's something about a murderous psychopath who has descended so utterly into madness and yet...Seems like a decent, if not a downright likable person! In fact, having these powers would make the idea that the cards foretell the future make more sense. After all, if they got their powers from the cards, wouldn't it make sense that the cards must be right? That isn't just a normal deck, that is the deck that imbued the character with their powers!

montoya
2015-01-20, 05:37 AM
I toyed with making a Dexter like killer in 3.5, never did though. I guess you would have to ask how does he view the killings? For fun? Some warped view of "saving their souls"? As for class I'd think rogue would be a good starter.

atemu1234
2015-01-20, 07:15 AM
I toyed with making a Dexter like killer in 3.5, never did though. I guess you would have to ask how does he view the killings? For fun? Some warped view of "saving their souls"? As for class I'd think rogue would be a good starter.

That depends. Book or TV show?

Alchemyre
2015-01-20, 08:30 AM
Best as in with the most options but not most fitting.

Spore, you amaze me. I wish I had people like you at my table (or online games).

Barbarian things.

The thing about this is that the character doesn't kill because they want to. In fact it scares and hurts them inside. They kill because they feel they must. I've dabbled with including schizophrenia. A voice that forces them to kill then rewards them for it afterward, and a second voice as a conscious that tries to stop them, taking the forms of their dead father and mother, respectively.

As stated above, they themselves view the killing as a necessary abomination. They kill only because they think they have to. If not bad things will happen (someone who was supposed to be killed does a thing that causes a horrible chain of events or something similar). Killing is a way to relieve the paranoia that destiny will unravel and turn to chaos.

montoya
2015-01-20, 04:55 PM
That depends. Book or TV show?

TV show...Never read the books.

atemu1234
2015-01-20, 05:58 PM
TV show...Never read the books.

TV-Show I'd say a low-charisma yet high-level (and thus highly skilled and high ranks in social skills). Enough so to bluff police.

Probably a rogue, specializing in sneak attack and sap attacks (the D&D equivalent of his Ketamine)

Spore
2015-01-20, 06:38 PM
As stated above, they themselves view the killing as a necessary abomination. They kill only because they think they have to. If not bad things will happen (someone who was supposed to be killed does a thing that causes a horrible chain of events or something similar). Killing is a way to relieve the paranoia that destiny will unravel and turn to chaos.

I'll throw in a pretty weird idea. Maybe a ... Paladin? Or something that gets Detect Evil as an at-will SLA. "I sense the evil in your soul. You must be purged, I am sorry." When your party confronts you you just say: "This guy was evil and so I butchered him in broad daylight. I still have my powers so I guess my deity has the same opinion."

Silent version:
Paladin 1/Vivisectionist x.
Sap Adept and Sap Master.
1) Detect the vile intent.
2) Create an ambush.
3) Knock the target unconscious.
4) Coupe de Grace.

Charismatic version:
Holy Tactician x
1) Detect vile intent.
2) Use Weal's Champion.
3) Have your party purge the taint.

Spore, you amaze me. I wish I had people like you at my table (or online games).

Thank you but my concepts are pretty hit-or-miss most of the time. You will need to find a balance between a simple character concept and needed depth to achieve a great character.

Some characters are easy, fun but often very bland. My rogue was that way. He was 100% average rogue and pretty fun. But the concept wasn't memorable, the adventures were. His performance on the rules' side lead me to quit him because of mechanical frustration.

Some characters are overly complicated written and no one ever asks anything about them. My Oni Alchemist is possessed by an ancient spirit, is the party equivalent of a barbarian as well as the tech guy AND the supporter. And had sex with the Erinye the paladin condemned. And is enemy with the "Yakuza". This character has too much damn going on. And then I'm required to roleplay two different entities because of Mastery Chymist. It's a mess.

My Bones Oracle is my favorite character. She's a healer/caster and has been tasked to redeem the spirits into the afterlife (her current "pet spirit" is her executed boyfriend). Her powers are cold and death themed. That's it. Enough drama, strict theming, linked to an existing spiritual world.

Not too much stuff should be going on, but you should have options.

DMVerdandi
2015-01-21, 12:11 AM
The thing about this is that the character doesn't kill because they want to. In fact it scares and hurts them inside. They kill because they feel they must. I've dabbled with including schizophrenia. A voice that forces them to kill then rewards them for it afterward, and a second voice as a conscious that tries to stop them, taking the forms of their dead father and mother, respectively.

What exactly makes that not a barbarian?
Think of that rage mechanic as an uncontrollable spirit of rage. While you can turn it on mechanically, you could instead perhaps role-play having triggers. Certain things that set them off, and when it happens, Use the rage mechanic.

Better still, the Moment of Clarity Rage power sounds exactly like what you want.
It gives you one round to of temporary sanity, to where you can have one round to perhaps stop the bloodshed, perhaps tell that one victim you don't want to kill to run, and to give it a head start.