PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder The Purifier (LoL based PrC, Path of War)

Vhaidara
2015-01-18, 09:37 PM
So, I was driving today, and my mind was wandering. Thought up a PrC to emulate Lucian the Purifier from League of Legends. Here you go. It has trouble working if you are stuck with early firearms, not really shining until you at least get revolvers, but tis the nature of a dual-pistols build.

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Non-Evil
BAB: +5
Feats: Gunsmith, Two Weapon Fighting
Ability to use 2nd level maneuvers from the Silver Crane and Solar Wind disciplines
Special: Grit class feature

Information
HD: d10
Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex), intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Martial) (Int), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Perception (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis)
Skill Points: 4+Int

Level
BAB
Fort
Ref
Will
Special

+1
+0
+1
+1
Lightslinger

+2
+0
+1
+1
Piercing Light

+3
+1
+2
+2
Ardent Blaze

+4
+1
+2
+2
Relentless Pursuit

+5
+1
+3
+3
The Culling

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Purifier is proficient with all one handed firearms

Maneuvers: At each level, a Purifier gains a maneuver known. This maneuver must be from either the Silver Crane or Solar Wind disciplines. The character adds his full Purifier levels to his initiator level to determine his total initiator level and his highest-level maneuvers known.

At 1st, 3rd, and 5th, a Purifier gains an additional maneuver readied, and at 2nd and 4th he may exchange a known maneuver for a different maneuver that he qualifies for.

The purifier's Initiation modifier is based on his class. If he entered through Martial Training, he uses Wisdom.

Stances Known: At 1st and 5th level, the Purifier learns a new martial stance from either Silver Crane of Solar Wind. The character must meet the stance's prerequisites to learn it.

Lightslinger (Ex): The Purifier is a mobile force of destruction on the battlefield. When attacking as a standard action, a Purifier may take a -2 penalty to hit and attack with an offhand firearm. Additionally, he may use this when initiating strikes.

Lucian does his little double tap, so I thought I'd give Purifiers the same kind of ability

Piercing Light (Su): The Purifier channels holy energy to burn away his foes. Beginning at 2nd level, as a standard action, he may expend a Silver Crane or Solar Wind Strike to attack a 30ft line, dealing his normal weapon damage + 2d6/Purifier level. This damage is Sacred, and thus not subject to Damage Reduction. He makes no attack roll, but enemies in the line may make a Reflex save (DC 12+Purifier Level+Initiation modifier) for half damage. This ability does not consume ammunition, and may not be used again until 2 rounds have passed.

I think this is a fair model, not much commentary here.

Ardent Blaze (Su): The Purifier is a master of mobility, drawing energy back from his opponents after attacking them. Beginning at 3rd level, as a swift action, he may expend a Silver Crane or Solar Wind Boost to fire a holy missile from his weapon. He makes an attack roll against an enemy in his first range increment. If he misses, then the shot continues, possibly striking another enemy in line with the Purifier. If the shot hits, or reaches the end of the first range increment, it explodes, dealing 1d4/Purifier level damage to creatures within a 5ft burst and marking them for three rounds. This damage is Sacred, and thus not subject to Damage Reduction. If the purifier hits a marked enemy with an attack, he may immediately take a 5ft step. This does not consume his 5ft step for the round, and he may do this as many times in a round as he is able to hit. This ability does not consume ammunition, and may not be used again until 2 rounds have passed.

So, bonus move speed isn't a big deal. Bonus movement is. It follows the same pattern as the in-game ability: You aim for a target, but might hit something behind it. Small damage and no immediate effect led to me making it a swift.

Relentless Pursuit (Ex): The Purified knows that his mobility is all that keeps his foes from devouring his soul, so he has put much effort into enhancing those skills. Beginning at 4th level, as a swift action, a purifier may move up to his movement speed. Using this ability removes any movement-impairing effect from the Purifier. This ability may not be used again until 2 rounds have passed.

Once again, the ability is fairly simple. I decided not to attach a cost to this one, but also not to include the cooldown reducing mechanic.

The Culling (Su): Reaching the pinnacle of his power, the Purifier is now the bane of the darkness. Beginning at 5th level, as a swift action once per encounter, the Purifier may enter a special stance known as The Culling. He chooses a direction, and as long as he is in The Culling, at the end of his turn, he may make a full attack against the first enemy within his first range increment. Each attack deals an additional 2d6 Sacred damage, and the Purifier may make Silver Crane or Solar Wind strikes with an initiation action of one standard action as replacements for individual attacks. The Purifier cannot attack or initiate strikes normally, but he may move freely and use Relentless Pursuit while in The Culling. This lasts for up to three rounds

Okay, so, you pick a direction, and fire a line of death bullets in it. Allowing him to dump strikes on it for days just reinforces the death bullets idea.

So, there you have it. I may try to clean this up later, but for now, I have more driving to do tomorrow. I just wanted to get this down before I went to bed and forgot everything.

Hogsy
2016-11-24, 10:37 AM
Lightslinger (Ex): The Purifier is a mobile force of destruction on the battlefield. When attacking as a standard action, a Purifier may take a -2 penalty to hit and attack with an offhand firearm. Additionally, he may use this when initiating strikes.

I'd change this to the following:

Lightslinger (Ex): The Purifier is a mobile force of destruction on the battlefield, he is able to fire shots at any time. He may take a -5 penalty on attack rolls in order to attack once with each weapon he wields whenever he initiates a strike or one of his class abilities.

Your normal shots, since you aren't Gunslinger 5, deal pathetic damage. 2d8 at best if you're using a double pistol. So you'll only be using this when initiating strikes or one of the class abilities. Making it two attacks like Lucian's actual double tap gives it a bit more damage, while increasing the penalty doesn't do that much considering you're targetting Touch AC.

Piercing Light (Su): The Purifier channels holy energy to burn away his foes. Beginning at 2nd level, as a standard action, he may expend a Silver Crane or Solar Wind Strike to attack a 30ft line, dealing his normal weapon damage + 2d6/Purifier level. This damage is Sacred, and thus not subject to Damage Reduction. He makes no attack roll, but enemies in the line may make a Reflex save (DC 12+Purifier Level+Initiation modifier) for half damage. This ability does not consume ammunition, and may not be used again until 2 rounds have passed.

The damage this ability deals at level 10 if we assume you enter at lvl5 and using a double-barrelled pistol is 2d8(9) + 10d6 (35) = 44 at a DC of 22(with a high initiation modifier). Most will be able to make it, suffering only 22 damage while others will not suffer any damage because it's a reflex save. I personally would barely use this ability in situations I was playing strategically. A random encounter I didn't care about? Sure, I mean, the ability is very cool, but it's weak af. There are other maneuvers that could be dealing more damage in an area through one trick or another. And a spellcaster? He could be dishing out empowered or maximized 10d6 fireballs for like 3 levels now if he was an invested blaster which is 52 damage on average or 60 damage on maximized and his fireball could have the same DC as your Piercing Light. With a few pearls of power he could be dealing more aoe & single-targetted damage than you. My suggestion is to make the Purifier have its own initiation modifier, which could be Wis or Dex and to give him a few of his own unique Gambits(Like the Warlord) that could add this initiation modifier to damage rolls and whatnot.

Ardent Blaze (Su): The Purifier is a master of mobility, drawing energy back from his opponents after attacking them. Beginning at 3rd level, as a swift action, he may expend a Silver Crane or Solar Wind Boost to fire a holy missile from his weapon. He makes an attack roll against an enemy in his first range increment. If he misses, then the shot continues, possibly striking another enemy in line with the Purifier. If the shot hits, or reaches the end of the first range increment, it explodes, dealing 1d4/Purifier level damage to creatures within a 5ft burst and marking them for three rounds. This damage is Sacred, and thus not subject to Damage Reduction. If the purifier hits a marked enemy with an attack, he may immediately take a 5ft step. This does not consume his 5ft step for the round, and he may do this as many times in a round as he is able to hit. This ability does not consume ammunition, and may not be used again until 2 rounds have passed.

I don't have much to say on this, as it's awesome! But is it an immediate action, a free action or a non-action? I'd suggest making it a free action during your turn, and an immediate action during another's turn and in addition have the ability to make a number of AoOs against a marked target equal to your initiation modifier on top of adding a number of ways for the marked targets to trigger AoOs.

Relentless Pursuit (Ex): The Purifier* knows that his mobility is all that keeps his foes from devouring his soul, so he has put much effort into enhancing those skills. Beginning at 4th level, as a swift action, a purifier may move up to his movement speed. Using this ability removes any movement-impairing effect from the Purifier. This ability may not be used again until 2 rounds have passed.

What would be considered "movement-impairing" in D&D? Is stunned such an effect? Dazed? In LoL, it's pretty clear what a soft-cc is, but in D&D this could be considered an effect that lowers ones movement speed or that entangles him altogether. Additionally, I'd also give him the Purifier the ability to do so as an immediate action in reaction to an attack, suffering the damage but if the enemy didn't have reach could not continue his full-attack.

The Culling (Su): Reaching the pinnacle of his power, the Purifier is now the bane of the darkness. Beginning at 5th level, as a swift action once per encounter, the Purifier may enter a special stance known as The Culling. He chooses a direction, and as long as he is in The Culling, at the end of his turn, he may make a full attack against the first enemy within his first range increment. Each attack deals an additional 2d6 Sacred damage, and the Purifier may make Silver Crane or Solar Wind strikes with an initiation action of one standard action as replacements for individual attacks. The Purifier cannot attack or initiate strikes normally, but he may move freely and use Relentless Pursuit while in The Culling. This lasts for up to three rounds

First of all, Prestige Stances require you to already be in a stance before switching into the prestige stance as a swift action (Just a disclaimer). So what this stance essentially does, is allow you to move as a full-round action(e.g to move at x4) and then still make a full attack which deals supposedly more damage.

All in all, this is an okay prestige class as far as moving goes, but I'd personally stray a bit away from the "damage" and give it some BFC abilities, emulating perhaps his S6 core build? (B.C lowering the enemy's armor for example). I just don't feel it deals enough damage if you don't have at least gunslinger 5 and even then the damage isn't so high. The idea and fluff is awesome. I could see myself using it in a low-op campaign.