PDA

View Full Version : DR

geekintheground
2015-01-19, 01:19 AM
are there certain level ranges where certain kinds of DR are most prevalent? my DM is allowing me to develop spells similar to "silvered claws" but for adamantine and cold iron using the rules in the DMG and wanted to know how long i have to do that. right now im level 4 and have enough to research 1 of them.

Flickerdart
2015-01-19, 01:28 AM
are there certain level ranges where certain kinds of DR are most prevalent? my DM is allowing me to develop spells similar to "silvered claws" but for adamantine and cold iron using the rules in the DMG and wanted to know how long i have to do that. right now im level 4 and have enough to research 1 of them.
It's kinda weird in a lot of cases because the DR system was overhauled from 3.0's enhancement bonus based one in odd ways. Things don't really scale by type, it's more about what kind of creatures you're fighting.

For example, DR/magic lasts through the entirety of the game as DR on dragons and many other creatures, despite becoming useless around level 5 once everyone's got a magic sword. DR/silver appears on lycanthropes and sticks around forever as well (as long as you can find new creatures for lycanthropy) and the same is true of cold iron on fey. DR/good shows up as early as level 1 with Lemures and is around all the way to the end on Pit Fiends.

Adamantine DR is quite rare though, mostly on golems. That's one I wouldn't worry about.

From what I recall though, there's some kind of silver dust you can rub on your weapons to make them count as silver, so it's probably better to grab something that can overcome cold iron DR just because there's nothing like that for it.

Khedrac
2015-01-19, 06:53 AM

Check out Metal Fang from Complete Champion.

Crake
2015-01-19, 07:38 AM
Just get an amulet of natural attacks with that ability which makes your weapon adapt to overcome any DR after the first hit

Chronos
2015-01-19, 10:55 AM
From what I recall though, there's some kind of silver dust you can rub on your weapons to make them count as silver, so it's probably better to grab something that can overcome cold iron DR just because there's nothing like that for it.
Silversheen (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#silversheen), at 250 GP per dose.

geekintheground
2015-01-19, 11:59 AM
Just get an amulet of natural attacks with that ability which makes your weapon adapt to overcome any DR after the first hit

i would, but i forgot to mention that this is for my AC which is a fleshraker and enchanting 3 attacks is expensive (i really hope i dont have to enchant each claw separately)

Red Fel
2015-01-19, 12:05 PM
i would, but i forgot to mention that this is for my AC which is a fleshraker and enchanting 3 attacks is expensive (i really hope i dont have to enchant each claw separately)

Amulet of Mighty Fists is a cheap workaround once you pass 3 natural weapons. It only adds +X, which means DR/magic, but once you have more natural weapons than you know what to do with, it's cheaper than the Necklace of Natural Weapons (paradoxically enough).

Chronos
2015-01-19, 01:48 PM
Right. Necklace of Natural Weapons is good if you use fists, and Amulet of Mighty Fists is good if you use natural weapons. That's the way it goes.

Alternately, the Greater Magic Fang spell has an option to enchant all of a creature's natural weapons, no matter how many there are, to +1, and it's got a long enough duration that it's easy to keep up for most of the day. You won't get as much attack bonus or damage, but it's still enough to pass DR/magic.