PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on Some Rule Concepts (an indecisive perfectionist is on the fence)

Octopusapult
2015-01-19, 02:08 AM
I have three ideas for rules (in different areas) that I'm on the fence about putting in a game, and looking for any kind of analysis. Mainly about how much it might complicate the rules since I don't want to run a rules heavy system, but I want to try new things.

First off is a kind of "Overland Travel" rule. The world map or land map would be sectioned off and passing from one section to the next costs an amount of rations. More rations for areas without roads or less rations if travelling by horseback / cart. Basically though the amount of food that you bring dictates how far you can travel. This is an answer to how my players are always "Assumed" to be eating when they visit towns and the like, but never actually spend any coin, or visit places that might sell food, or stop lighting things on fire.

Second is critical hit effects changing per weapon (or damage) type. So piercing weapons which score a critical hit may ruin armor by poking a wide hole in it, or blunt weapons may crush a limb and render it useless for the rest of the fight, or slashing weapons dealing bleed damage over time. I think it's a cool idea, but I don't know how much it may slow down combat to check a table for what kind of critical you can deal based on your weapon or weapon damage type.

Third is Health Segments. Each character has a Vitality and a Health score. Health represents the amount of damage you take before you lose 1 Vitality. When you lose 1 Vitality (one segment) you suffer an injury until you get healed and can restore that segment. If you have 0 Vitality left when you lose all your Health, you die. I think I like this, but I'm honestly on the fence. Losing a segment and then having to check a table to see what injury you suffer seems like it would really draw out a fight, especially if you're already checking tables with each critical. So I'm not 100% what to make of it, and the only way to really know is to test it, but I figure maybe someone has dealt with or tried something like these before and can drop some knowledge on me.

For context, the rest of the system is pretty d20. Not 3.5 but kind of close. The biggest difference I can say right away is that there are 9 attributes here, and the attribute "score" is the exact bonus rather than having a bonus derived from the score. E.G. you have a STR score of +2 and END score of -1. There's more differences obviously, but I can't think of any pertinent enough to answer the question posed. Let me know if you need more context and I'll try to provide.