PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Writing a Setting Guide, Need Help

Ninjadeadbeard
2015-01-19, 03:13 AM
I am writing a setting guide for my Godori (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371121-Godori-Steppes-and-Dragons-a-Fifth-Edition-Setting-%28PEACH!%29) world. It's currently around 55 pages with only half the city-content, and I have come to a sudden realization:

What, exactly, do DMs and Players need to know about places like Cities, Nations, and City-States? Specifically, is it helpful to know population numbers? Percentages? I have so far covered descriptive and historical blurbs, plus a writeup of certain major NPCS, but what else is needed?

hifidelity2
2015-01-19, 06:35 AM
It depends on the level of education / schooling and the type of communications available

If its broadly medieval then most people would only know detail of the local area (approx population, who is in charge, who their allies and enemies are etc) , some basic facts of major cities (where they roughly are) and something about their country (again major Allies / enemies).they would probably know very little about the rest of the world

Obviously scholars (Wizards, clerics etc) would know more

Red Fel
2015-01-19, 10:30 AM
I am writing a setting guide for my Godori (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?371121-Godori-Steppes-and-Dragons-a-Fifth-Edition-Setting-%28PEACH!%29) world. It's currently around 55 pages with only half the city-content, and I have come to a sudden realization:

What, exactly, do DMs and Players need to know about places like Cities, Nations, and City-States? Specifically, is it helpful to know population numbers? Percentages? I have so far covered descriptive and historical blurbs, plus a writeup of certain major NPCS, but what else is needed?

If you feel inclined to include things, include them! There will be players who want to know more about your setting, and players who want to know less.

That said, for any chapter in your turning-into-a-book, be sure to include a section entitled "What you need to know", which will be your TL;DR section for the players who want to know less. It should include, as a general rule: Anything that can be turned up by a Knowledge (Local) check of DC 5 or less (or the system equivalent) The system of government (e.g. democracy, monarchy, dictatorship) and name of at least one major leader The dominant alignment (where applicable; some cities don't have them) The general size and population The dominant religion (where applicable) The dominant race (where applicable) The dominant industry (e.g. agriculture, textiles, masonry, poverty)
Take a tip from Wikipedia. On any Wikipedia article about a country or state, there is a little quick-reference box on the right that gives an easy breakdown. Here's an example: Sumatra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatra). I could read the whole article and get a history of this particular island. Or I could look to the right and observe, briefly: It's a massive island (6th largest in the world) It's part of Indonesia It has a population of roughly 50,000,000, or twice that of Texas It is home to roughly 5 ethnic groups
Boom, quick reference. Add a few more setting-appropriate nuggets and you're good to go.