PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Help wanted for creating the group's tracker/sneaker

Thelion
2015-01-19, 10:31 AM
Since our DM decided that he doesn't know how to write high level encounters, our group of 4 level 11/12 characters is forced to create new level 6 characters. I'm kinda pissed, because I loved my character, but at the same time I always love character creation.

At the moment the group will consist of a dual-wielding fighter, a dragon shaman, a druid that focusses on summoning, so it will be up to me to create the tracker/sneaker character. This is not a problem, since I've played a very effective scout/order of the bow initiate character in the past, but this time I'd like something else. Usually I create a character starting from an idea for a background story, instead of something that is the most effective. Usually our group will survive most things the DM throws at us, because we know how to work as a team and make everyone useful.

At the moment I have written the background story for a female human character, named Brígh who is sort of a bounty hunter/assassin for hire. Usually I play good-aligned characters, but this time I really want to make a dark character that is true neutral with some evil tendencies. I want her to use poison and preferably use throwing weapons. The stats I've rolled are 17, 16, 15, 12, 11, 10 and I want her to rely more on strength then dexterity for attack roles.

I've been thinking about combining the ranger and scout classes through the Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish feats, but I'm not sure if I do so how to divide the levels. The ranger will give me track, favored enemies (which is logically fluffwise, since she is supposed to be a bounty hunter/stalker kind of character), full BAB, spells and I could focus on ranged weaponry as combat style, but the scout has better skills, fast movement and uncanny dodge/evasion. Also, I have been looking at prestige classes, but haven't found anything yet that has convinced me.

Do you guys/gals have any idea what would make this character the most efficient within the boundaries? We can use all books. I know it's not the strongest kind of character tierwise, but as far as skill monkeys/opportunistic strikers go, I think it could work (especially since our group always functions fine).

LentilNinja
2015-01-19, 10:41 AM
Usually for Swift Tracker a build goes for 3 or 4 levels (3 are the minimum, 4 gives you a bonus feat. Can delay the 4th level to get Improved Skirmish later). Make sure your favored enemies are ones immune to SA damage, because then you can overcome it :smallsmile:

As for PrCs, unless you're wanting something specific usually you're better off just going full Ranger. And why not? The class offers lots of skill points, a good skill set, full BAB etc. Its a pretty solid class, and the longer you keep it up the better you'll get with skirmishing too. At that point, I'm not sure any PrC can offer you anything better :smallamused:

Depending on your style, you also get the choice of using bows or throwing weaponry. If you pick the latter, you're better off with the TWF tree. I think DPR-wise, its better to do TWF throwing weaponry. However if you're the sneaker/tracker, a bow would be more fitting and probably more practical. The DPR is still good with manyshot/rapid shot (I can't remember which is the better one) so you wont be falling behind.

gorfnab
2015-01-19, 04:10 PM
I've been thinking about combining the ranger and scout classes through the Swift Hunter and Improved Skirmish feats, but I'm not sure if I do so how to divide the levels. The ranger will give me track, favored enemies (which is logically fluffwise, since she is supposed to be a bounty hunter/stalker kind of character), full BAB, spells and I could focus on ranged weaponry as combat style, but the scout has better skills, fast movement and uncanny dodge/evasion. Also, I have been looking at prestige classes, but haven't found anything yet that has convinced me.

This Swift Hunter Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=hd344a26ji18bl83034k9qh0m6&topic=103.0) could be of some use. If you're set on archery for a Swift Hunter look at these two handbooks as well: Toxophilite (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?269705-Toxophilite-The-Archery-Handbook) and Archery Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=arj3lt40mohs5o5k6alee9nq71&topic=2892.0)

Here are two ranged Swift Hunter builds I've used before

Human Swift Hunter
1. Scout - Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
2. Scout
3. Scout - Alertness (prereq for SoK)
4. Ranger - (Arcane Hunter ACF), B: Track
5. Scout - B: Swift Hunter
6. Scout - Favored of the Champions (prereq for SoK)
7. Ranger - B: Rapid Shot
8. Stalker of Kharash
9. Stalker of Kharash - Nemesis: Evil
10. Ranger - B: Endurance
11. Ranger - (Distracting Attack ACF)
12. Ranger - Improved Skirmish
13. Ranger - B: Manyshot
14. Ranger
15. Ranger - Greater Manyshot
16. Ranger - (Spell Reflection ACF)
17. Ranger
18. Ranger - Darkstalker, B: Improved Precise Shot
19. Ranger
20. Ranger

Human Swift Hunter
1. Scout - Point Blank Shot, Education
2. Scout
3. Scout - Precise Shot
4. Ranger - (Arcane Hunter ACF), B: Track
5. Scout - B: Swift Hunter
6. Scout - Improved Skirmish
7. Ranger - B: Rapid Shot
8. Ranger - B: Endurance
9. Ranger - (Distracting Attack ACF), Knowledge Devotion
10. Ranger
11. Ranger - B: Manyshot
12. Ranger - Greater Manyshot
13. Ranger
14. Ranger - (Spell Reflection ACF)
15. Ranger - Darkstalker
16. Ranger - B: Improved Precise Shot
17. Ranger
18. Ranger - Nemesis: Arcanist
19. Ranger
20. Ranger

HyperDunkBarkly
2015-01-19, 05:06 PM
for a magical option, consider beguiler if you'd like trapfinding(though not tracking) and illusion/enchantment magic.

shadowcraft mage PrC also adds in the ability to copy conjuration spells.

Thelion
2015-01-19, 05:56 PM
Thank you both! I'm guessing a maximum of 4 levels scout and the rest ranger (until I find a cool prestige class) should be sufficient. The handbook is really helpful, I wasn't aware that this website existed?

Now I just have to find out a little more about the dealing with throwing weapons, I've never played something like this before. The stats I'll be using are Str 18 (20 with magic item), Dex 16, Con 15, Int 12, Wis 11 and Cha 10, so the attacks will be packing some punch :smallredface: