PDA

View Full Version : The Airforce, a Flying Party

Naanomi
2015-01-19, 11:52 AM
I was making 'themed' parties the other day (with the help of the forum); and noted that four Classes can gain the ability to fly continually without using spells. Four people with different versions of the same ability means 'theme party' to me!

Lightfoot Halfling//Ranger, Beastmaster//Folk Hero
Flight Capable: 3+

Boro is the son of halfling spice-merchant, and spent much of his youth outside of the comfort of his home and on the road buying exotic flavors from far away places. This fostered a love of exploration that eventually turned to a life of adventure; life on the road but always to return home with an exciting story and exotic flavor to share.

STR: 9
DEX: 16 (+2 at 8, +2 at 12)
CON: 14
INT: 10
WIS: 14
CHA: 10

Skills:
Nature
Perception
Stealth
Survival
Animal Handling
~Land Vehicles
~Cook Tools
Languages: Common, Halfling, Draconic (6), Deepspeech (14)

Feats:
Mounted Combat (4)
Sharpshooter (16)
Skulker (19)

Class Abilities:
Favored Enemy: Beast; Dragon (6); Aberration (14)
Natural Explorer: Coastal; Plains (6); Mountain (10)
Fighting Style: Archery

Equipment:
Shortbow, Whip, Net
Studded Leather Armor, Shield

Ensnaring Strike
Hunter's Mark
Longstrider

Barkskin
Pass Without Trace

Conjure Animals
Lightning Arrow

Conjure Woodland Beings
Freedom of Movement

Swiftquiver
Conjure Volley

I went back and forth between 'lightfoot' and 'stout' halfling variants, eventually deciding a stealth sub-theme would work and trading out the Con bonus in favor of the ability to hide behind his mount (even while in flight, for a 'surprise' arrow)

Skills were tough, as I wanted every skill that would potentially help me find my Pteradon; and in doing so lost out on Acrobatics.

Likewise, both Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain were built first on things to help find a Pteradon, and secondarily on otherwise useful things. I went on to choose terrains that favor flying combat and enemies that often fly. Both should be adjusted for campaign specifics.

Common tactics is basic flying archery, although anything that can fly up to threaten the party is likely going to get a Net. Hit and run with a whip is an option when absolutely necessary or safe

Wood Elf//Druid (Moon)//Outlander
Flight Capable 8+

The n'Shala tribes live spread far on the Fire Island. Their lives and connection as a culture rely heavily on the birds they share a home with: falcons for hunting, ravens for messages; and none are more honored than those who can walk with the feathers of the Sacred Bird. Nari was born under portents and signs she would one day be such, and has spent her life wandering from island to island and beyond, wherever the wind takes her.

STR: 8
DEX: 16
INT: 10
WIS: 16
CHA: 10

Skills:
Athletics
Survival
Perception
Stealth
Sleight of Hand
~Flute
~Herbalism Kit
Languages: Common, Elven, Primordeal

Feats:
Magic Initiate (4) - Take Mage Armor; (WIP)
Sentinel (8)
Mobile (12)
Alert (16)
Lucky (19)

Equipment:
Quarterstaff, Longbow
Studded Leather Armor

Juggled between Wood-Elf and Variant Human; settling on Elf for the stealth bonus (hiding in the clouds and fog as an air-elemental) when I ran out of feats I really wanted.

Before flying comes online, a basic juggle between quarterstaff, archery, and general wildshape combat. Level 8 brings us the Giant Eagle which isn't fantastic but starts shaping the theme. At level 10, she becomes an Air-Elemental and never looks back. Air Elemental with Sentinel and unparalleled speed in the air makes for a great way to keep enemy fliers locked down

Half-Elf//Sorcerer (Dragon, Gold)//Criminal
Flight Capable 13+

Like most youth born in the Merchant-City of Marleni; Merek was raised in the world of petty crime in a dock-side gang. However, when signs of his sorcerer powers began to manifest; the gang-leader he worked under grew nervous that someday he would be replaced by this magical upstart and worked to drive him out of town. Abandoned on the road, Merek had no choice but to seek adventure to make ends meet.

STR: 8
DEX: 16
INT: 12
WIS: 8
CHA: 16 (+2 at 4, +2 at 8)

Skills:
Deception
Stealth
Persuasion
Perception
Investigation
Acrobatics
~Cards
~Thief's Tools
Languages: Common, Elvish, Undercommon

Metamagic:
Quicken, Distant (1)
Twin (10)
Empower (17)

Feats:
Elemental Affinity, Fire (12)
Spell Sniper (16)
Warcaster (19)

Equipment:
Thief Tools

Fire Bolt
Mage Hand
Ray of Frost
Friends
Shocking Grasp
Feather Fall
Shield

Mirror Image
Scorching Ray

Counterspell
Fireball
Haste
Slow

Disintegrate

Fire Storm
Reverse Gravity
Teleport

Incendiary Cloud

Meteor Swarm
Wish

I really prefer Lightning or Cold to Fire for thematic reasons, but in the end I stuck with Fire Sorcerer for one reason: 3-D combat. One never knows the love of a fireball as when it hits an entire sphere of flying pixies.

Our skills get taken serving as party Face and Trap-Monkey; doing the first job great and the second passably (I hope). Also ironically one of our better scouts; in a team that has three stealthy characters, this is the one that won't be size: Large most of the time, or be accompanied by a giant dinosaur.

Tactics are simple: fly around and blow things up, not necessarily in that order. Note Ray of Cold, despite being cross-Element, can slow down a quick flying opponent to keep the maneuverability advantage. Distant spell, not normally a great choice, has a lot of value in sniping vulnerable targets from the air

Human (Variant)//Cleric, Tempest//Pirate
Flight Capable 17+

Born on a raiding ship in the frozen north, Braugh was never a complicated man; he enjoyed ale and women and to sing praises to the Goddess of the Sea. A pirate born and raised, eventually the lure of easy coin in a life of adventuring drew his attention to give 'inland raiding' a try.

STR: 16 (+2 at 4, +2 at 8)
DEX: 8
CON: 16
INT: 8
WIS: 16 (+2 at 16, +2 at 19)
CHA: 8

Skills:
Perception
Insight
Medicine
Athletics
Intimidation
~Water Vehicles
~Navigator's Tools
Languages: Common, Orcish

Feats:
Resilient: Constitution (1)
Warcaster (12)

Equipment:
Battle Axe, Javelin
Plate Armor, Shield

I've gone back and forth between this build and a Hill-Dwarf with magic-initiate to get a Shillelagh; still not sure I've made the right choice.

Comes into his flight ability very late; see if you can't quest for a Broom or Flying Carpet before then

A mix of melee, caster, and ranged combatant; lots of option to choose from. Feel free to grapple someone and fly high to intimidate them or just drop them into the sea

I tried to tie the whole party to a vaguely 'nautical' theme; just to help justify why they joined into an adventuring group to begin with.

Party Strengths:
~Supreme maneuverability
~Universal access to hit-and-run tactics
~Ability to plot-based overland travel very well
~Lots of casting flexibility
~Everyone has Perception

Party Weaknesses:
~Most require open spaces to be effective, dungeon crawling not a relative strength
~No one with significant intelligence, will struggle with knowledge skills, no one proficient in several of them
~Schtick doesn't fully come online until late levels

Myzz
2015-01-19, 11:55 AM
Eagle Totem Barbarian???

He would have to end each 'turn' on the ground or fall...

Naanomi
2015-01-19, 11:57 AM
Eagle Totem Barbarian???

I thought the same thing, but ultimately avoided it. Being able to see a full mile would be nice in the sky though.

kaoskonfety
2015-01-19, 12:01 PM
Eagle Totem Barbarian???

With Expeditious Retreat or Longstrider from magic initiate (which allows you to also pick up a couple cantrips to augment your "magic mountain man" image) you can get your movement quite respectable - and rage to take half falling damage? Not that I have not carefully looked at exactly this build for my next PC or villain...

Edit: Slow fall from Monk maybe? Not sure off hand when that kicks in

Myzz
2015-01-19, 12:27 PM
Eagle Totem Barbarian???

Feather Fall boots? Boots of levitation (maybe they can't go up or down, just allow you to hover in place and require some other means to actually move through the air vertically, but do allow you to "walk on air"???)

Naanomi
2015-01-19, 12:29 PM
Feather Fall boots? Boots of levitation (maybe they can't go up or down, just allow you to hover in place and require some other means to actually move through the air vertically, but do allow you to "walk on air"???)
As soon as you assume magic items; then Brooms and Magic Carpets with normal optimized characters on them beat these guys in general, so I made no assumptions about item availability. If one were dead-set on adding a Barbarian to this team, then maybe ask a GM if they can 'land' on the back of another flying teammate?

kaoskonfety
2015-01-19, 12:31 PM
I'm just tickled by having the 5th man be an oddball that can only *kinda* fly

Naanomi
2015-01-19, 12:52 PM
I'm just tickled by having the 5th man be an oddball that can only *kinda* fly
I get that; though in this case I'd try and avoid it. There is a huge difference between 'everyone can fly' and 'everyone but one guy can fly' tactically; even if that one guy can jump really really well.

Felvion
2015-01-19, 01:38 PM
Bards can also learn fly with their magical secrets feature. Lore bards can do it right from level 6.
Note that fly can be cast at higher level to affect more creatures...

Myzz
2015-01-19, 01:44 PM
As soon as you assume magic items; then Brooms and Magic Carpets with normal optimized characters on them beat these guys in general, so I made no assumptions about item availability. If one were dead-set on adding a Barbarian to this team, then maybe ask a GM if they can 'land' on the back of another flying teammate?

yeah... but the ability to fly for the Eagle Barb is non-magical? so that can't really be dispelled. But his ability to not fall to his death could...

Naanomi
2015-01-19, 01:44 PM
True lots of people can learn Fly, and in fact at lower levels much of this party will rely on the Spell as well; but the fun feature of these four class choices is the ability to fly without using Spell Slots or Concentration

numerek
2015-01-19, 07:33 PM
True lots of people can learn Fly, and in fact at lower levels much of this party will rely on the Spell as well; but the fun feature of these four class choices is the ability to fly without using Spell Slots or Concentration

I still think you should update the original post, the sorcerer can cast fly at 5th level and twin it to include the cleric and at 7th level can use a 4th level slot to include the cleric. The sorcerer can also extend the duration, at 5th level he can already do 5 hours and 20 minutes, by 8th level he can do a full 24 hours.

Naanomi
2015-01-19, 08:39 PM
I still think you should update the original post
Fair enough, I can do a level by level advancement and point out high points later tonight