PDA

View Full Version : Using Racial Power Points

FocusWolf413
2015-01-19, 12:04 PM
I'm playing a githzerai swordsage. I don't really want to dip into a psionic class. I get 2 power points per day. Is there a way for me to use these power points or store them through items or feats?

Troacctid
2015-01-19, 12:13 PM
Any power point reserve, no matter how small, allows you to gain psionic focus with a DC 20 Concentration check. Several feats allow you to expend your focus to do things like regain expended maneuvers or deal extra damage with an attack. Even without such feats, you can use your psionic focus to take 15 on a Concentration check, which is great with Diamond Mind maneuvers.

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-19, 12:20 PM
Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17536920&postcount=10) a favorite from Vedhin I keep bookmarked.

FocusWolf413
2015-01-19, 01:19 PM
And having a focus doesn't cost pp?

Doc_Maynot
2015-01-19, 01:23 PM
And having a focus doesn't cost pp?

You can only have your Psionic Focus if you have PP left in your Reserve, and it costs no points to generate.

Zombulian
2015-01-19, 01:40 PM
Hidden Talent feat gives you 2 pp and 1 first level power from any list. Pick up Psionic Grease or Psionic Minor Creation or any other power that you can see being useful in the future without having a saving throw.

Qwertystop
2015-01-19, 01:53 PM
One thing I like for that is the Complex Psionic Tattoo rules - they were in a Mind's Eye article. Specifically, if you get a tattoo of some good emergency panic-button power, and hook up a Capacitor to it, one pp per day automatically goes into charging it instead of your pool. When it's stored up enough to use the power, you can use it once without losing the tattoos. If you can get to at least 3 pp/day, you can add on a Transducer, which let's you store more than just the passive 1/day in a capacitor at 50% efficiency (so if you had 3/day, you could charge it by 2/day). That's also the only way I know of to bank extra pp at the end of the day, if you're a full psion or similar.

EDIT: or you could just get a second capacitor and have two panic buttons, or keep the last point for Psionic Focus tricks.

Chronos
2015-01-19, 02:15 PM
There's a very fine line between using the complex psionic tattoos rules, and going full-bore TO insanely overpowered. I'd just avoid them entirely.

Qwertystop
2015-01-19, 03:08 PM
There's a very fine line between using the complex psionic tattoos rules, and going full-bore TO insanely overpowered. I'd just avoid them entirely.

Really? Seems fairly limited to me - with just 2 pp/day, you're not going to be able to speed the charging beyond 1/day, and you can only self-target. What's the most you could do with that? Timeless Body, bit less than twice a month (17 days), about 9000 gp, and you probably won't be able to get a power that high-level until you're at around that level? Not really that broken.

Urpriest
2015-01-19, 04:19 PM
Really? Seems fairly limited to me - with just 2 pp/day, you're not going to be able to speed the charging beyond 1/day, and you can only self-target. What's the most you could do with that? Timeless Body, bit less than twice a month (17 days), about 9000 gp, and you probably won't be able to get a power that high-level until you're at around that level? Not really that broken.

If you're doing just that, sure. But then you start involving action economy manipulation, bestow power...

It's not that this use of it has any chance of being broken. Just that as soon as it's mentioned every engineer at the table will start trying to figure out how to make circuits with it and the campaign will become a high-op Gramarie (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?252794-She-Blinded-Me-with-Science!-%28Magitek-That-Doesn-t-Make-Me-Cry-Myself-To-Sleep%29) game in short order. After all, who could resist? :smallwink:

Telok
2015-01-19, 05:41 PM
If you're doing just that, sure. But then you start involving action economy manipulation, bestow power...

It's not that this use of it has any chance of being broken. Just that as soon as it's mentioned every engineer at the table will start trying to figure out how to make circuits with it...

The computer programmers won't be far behind. I keep the tattoo link around just in case someone explicitly says it's ok to use in a game. Use a free action that counts as a quickened power to activate a three round buff sequence and you can recharge it? That's the most basic thing you can do with those and it's already getting close to arcane fusion tricks.

Pretty much you're looking at psychic feats if you don't want to take a manifester class. Some of those are pretty good, but if you want more than a once-a-fight trick you'll end up investing three to six feats. Depending on what other feats you want that can be quite a cost.

Qwertystop
2015-01-19, 06:06 PM
The computer programmers won't be far behind. I keep the tattoo link around just in case someone explicitly says it's ok to use in a game. Use a free action that counts as a quickened power to activate a three round buff sequence and you can recharge it? That's the most basic thing you can do with those and it's already getting close to arcane fusion tricks.

Pretty much you're looking at psychic feats if you don't want to take a manifester class. Some of those are pretty good, but if you want more than a once-a-fight trick you'll end up investing three to six feats. Depending on what other feats you want that can be quite a cost.

Wouldn't some of it (for example, the free-action-quickened) need to be updated to 3.5 (swift action in that case)?