PDA

View Full Version : Player Help [3.P and Dragonlance] Creation of Dragonspawn and mind affecting magic across planes

Ninane
2015-01-19, 02:27 PM
Hello, I'm back again with more stupid questions! This may have been better tagged as Roleplaying Help, but since there are mechanical aspects to this, I wasn't sure if that'd be okay.

Anyway...

The creation of Dragonspawn is a magical ritual using either a Skull Totem by the Dragon Overlord or a Scale of Proxy used by one of the Dragon Overlord's proxies according to Dragonlance Nexus (http://dragonlancenexus.com/lexicon/index.php?title=Dragonspawn) Dragonspawn that survived creation were typically under the control of the Overlord and Proxy (if applicable).

This degree of detail was missing from Dragonlance Campaign Settings. It does not outline the limits of this magical ritual. Hell, by RAW, I don't really even have to worry about anything like that...but...My DM has instructed me to look into Dragonlance material and play my character appropriately as part of the requirements for using the White Dragonspawn template. I've had the misfortune of picking the only Dragonspawn type whose Overlord actually survived (according to Nexus) the War of Souls to present time, so mind-control is a very real aspect of playing a Dragonspawn.

My problems are twofold. If I played this character (in a neutral-to-good party) I'd need a way to justify why I'm able to play a NG character despite supposedly being under the control of an evil Dragon Overlord. Likewise, this campaign that does not take place on Krynn; rather, it's a setting where all the planes are connected via Sigil. My character has to somehow justify being in the plane everything takes place in.

Just saying "lol well it's one of the tiny amounts that survived with free will!" feels cheap and lazy. And acting like x alignment while actually being a variant of evil probably won't fly since there's a Paladin in the party. Instead, can anyone explain to me what typical mind-affecting spell limitations do, which are the most closely related to the (vague) description of the Dragonspawn ritual above, and is there any shenanigans that allows for planar limitations to such spells?

(Hope this makes sense.)

Jigawatts
2015-01-19, 04:20 PM
Since you aren't playing the Age of Mortals adventure path trilogy (Key of Destiny, Spectre of Sorrows, and Price of Courage), I will be able to tell you what happens in the canon timeline.

Gellidus, the White Dragon Overlord, is slain at the end of Price of Courage. So your character can come from after that takes place.

Here is the info of the White Dragonspawn pulled from the Dragons of Krynn (http://www.amazon.com/Dragonlance-Dragons-Krynn-Cam-Banks/dp/1931567271) sourcebook (which was published later on in the 3.5 Dragonlance line, making it an update to the material in the DLCS).

White dragonspawn were created by the Ice Tyrant, Gellidus, to carry out his wishes in the glacial realm of Southern Ergoth and to act as his personal army. Through the use of scales of proxy, most of them were actually created by white dragons working under Gellidus. Humans living in the small towns near the outskirts of his realm were enslaved and their settlements used as breeding camps for more dragonspawn
stock.

Physical Appearance
White dragonspawn look very angular, as if they were carved from ice. They have sharp beak-like noses, pointy chins, dagger-like teeth and claws, and a sharp spine that curves back from the brow and forms a spiked crest. The scales start out the color of new fallen snow but darken, becoming spotted with blue and gray, as the spawn ages. Like white dragons, the wings of a white dragonspawn are blunted at the tips. Against the winter sky, their wings offer a sort of camouflage, making it difficult for those on the ground to see them. The tail of a white dragonspawn is bulky, broad, and ridged. The weight of the tail gives the white dragonspawn a counterbalance on ice and snow; the ridges can be used to anchor the spawn in place.

Psychology
White dragonspawn are instinctive by nature. They are ferocious and mean-spirited, allowing their brutal passions and impulsive natures to rule them. Some sages feel that this is partially because most white dragonspawn were “recruited” from the native tribes of Icereach and Southern Ergoth or from terrified villagers in civilized towns. While this may be a contributing factor, the nature of white dragons has undoubtedly been passed on as well. White dragonspawn are hunters by nature, both for survival and for sport. They enjoy nothing more than going on the hunt. Combining draconic instincts with human intellect, they make dangerous foes. White dragonspawn will hunt anything from polar bears to Ice Folk to the thanoi.

Dragonspawn Racial Traits
All dragonspawn created from human stock possess the following racial traits:
Dragon: Dragonspawn are creatures of the dragon type. They are immune to paralysis and magic sleep effects, and have both darkvision (60-foot range) and low-light vision.
Medium size.
+7 natural armor.
Natural Weapons: A dragonspawn has a bite attack at its normal attack bonus (1d4 plus Str modifier) and 2 claw attacks at –5 to their attack bonus (1d4 plus 1/2 Str modifier). Dragonspawn making a full attack action may use their bite attack as a secondary attack at –5 together with a manufactured weapon.
Bonus Feat: A dragonspawn gains a bonus feat.
Skills: A dragonspawn gains 4 bonus skill points at 1st level and one bonus skill point at each level thereafter.
Spellcasting: A dragonspawn casts spells as a 1st-level sorcerer, including caster level, spells per day, and spells known. Additional levels of sorcerer stack with this innate level for the purposes of spellcasting but not for other class features. Thus, a 1st-level dragonspawn sorcerer has the caster level, spells known, and spells per day of a 2ndlevel sorcerer, but the Hit Dice, base attack bonus, saving throws, and skill points of a 1st-level sorcerer.
Draconic Link (Su): All bound dragonspawn are magically linked to their creators. This link functions only while the dragonspawn and the Overlord are on the same plane; it is suppressed as long as one or the other is on a different plane, or in an antimagic field. An Overlord may extend its senses through the dragonspawn as a full-round action, and compel the dragonspawn (as with dominate person) to act as the Overlord desires. Independent dragonspawn do not have this link nor any of its effects.
Automatic Languages: Common and one regional language. Bonus Languages: Draconic.
Favored Class: Any. A dragonspawn may ignore its highest-level class for the purposes of determining whether it gains an XP penalty from multiclassing.

White Dragonspawn Racial Traits
White dragonspawn possess the following racial traits, in addition to the traits possessed by all dragonspawn of human stock:
+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution.
White dragonspawn have the augmented humanoid (human) and cold subtypes. They are immune to cold and vulnerable to fire.
A dragonspawn’s base land speed is 30 feet. They have a flight speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability).
Breath Weapon (Su): A white dragonspawn has a breath weapon in the form of a cone of cold (30 ft. long, 2d6 cold, Reflex save DC 10 + 1/2 white dragonspawn’s Hit Dice + white dragonspawn’s Constitution modifier) that it may use once every 2d4 rounds.
Death Throe (Su): A white dragonspawn’s body explodes the moment it dies, creating a 10-ft burst that deals 1d6 points of cold damage. A Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 white dragonspawn’s Hit Dice plus white dragonspawn’s Constitution modifier) indicates half damage. White dragonspawn can only be restored to life through the use of a true resurrection or wish spell.
Level Adjustment: +1 (bound), +3 (independent). A white dragonspawn has an effective character level (ECL) of 1 + its class levels if bound, or 3 + its class levels if independent.

You could play your character where they are looking for redemption for the evil acts committed while under the control of Gellidus, and once your mind was freed you vowed to never be that person again, hence the NG alignment, and maybe you are still somewhat haunted by what you did, interjecting some fun opportunities for roleplaying. If you are looking for further help with background and roleplaying for your character, the Dragonlance Forums (http://www.dragonlanceforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?6-Gaming) might be a good place to visit.