PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Circle Magic Questions

CIDE
2015-01-19, 03:26 PM
I'm only just now really looking into Circle Magic even though I've heard mentions of it in passing so far. does Circle Magic only come up in FRCS and are Red Wizards and Hathran the only two ways to perform Circle Magic? Finally, is Circle Magic the "boost CL to 40" I hear about when Tippy talks about getting a Shadesteel Golem Intelligence in the 20-30 range?

Tvtyrant
2015-01-19, 03:44 PM
There is also a circle magic feat from Ghostwalk which allows you to participate in a circle.

OldTrees1
2015-01-19, 03:48 PM
1)
IIRC there are 3 Faerunian prestige classes with access to cl 40 circle magic and then there is the Circle Magic feat in Ghostwalk with access to cl 20 circle magic.

2)
Tippy probably uses an easier method unless it specifically says Circle Magic. However yes a Wizard 5/Red Wizard 5 can reach cl 40.

I use it in a Wizard 1 / Dread Necromancer X / Red Wizard 5 build to get a sufficiently large yet inherently finite undead army.

CIDE
2015-01-19, 04:06 PM
Edit:

There is also a circle magic feat from Ghostwalk which allows you to participate in a circle.

Thanks. Unfortunately for me it's Divine only and I'm looking at an arcane caster build.

1)
IIRC there are 3 Faerunian prestige classes with access to cl 40 circle magic and then there is the Circle Magic feat in Ghostwalk with access to cl 20 circle magic.

What's the third class?

1)
2)
Tippy probably uses an easier method unless it specifically says Circle Magic. However yes a Wizard 5/Red Wizard 5 can reach cl 40.

I use it in a Wizard 1 / Dread Necromancer X / Red Wizard 5 build to get a sufficiently large yet inherently finite undead army.

CL 40 was oddly specific and that's why I drew that conclusion.

Also, what would be easier than Circle Magic? It seems pretty easy and straight forward and with a fairly easy doable on your own via minionmancy.

OldTrees1
2015-01-19, 04:16 PM
What's the third class?

CL 40 was oddly specific and that's why I drew that conclusion.

Also, what would be easier than Circle Magic? It seems pretty easy and straight forward and with a fairly easy doable on your own via minionmancy.

Halruaan Elder is the 3rd.

There are several methods for boosting CL, some can boost it an arbitrary amount like consumptive field and bags of rats. But since it was oddly specific, I too would assume circle magic.