PDA

View Full Version : Ramifications of a mithral chain cloak

Jlooney
2015-01-19, 03:36 PM
The title says it all. If I were to allow one of my pcs to have a Mithral cloak what would that do as far as armor? Would it be game breaking in any way?

Would this item have out of combat uses or problems?

Myzz
2015-01-19, 03:55 PM
The title says it all. If I were to allow one of my pcs to have a Mithral cloak what would that do as far as armor? Would it be game breaking in any way?

what would be its combat uses???

As far as out of combat problems... depending on character level, most thieves that see it are gonna want to steal it. Same for any tavern wench... that would likely be quite gaudy and worth many yearly incomes...

Kryx
2015-01-19, 03:56 PM

Have it use the mechanics of a mithral chain shirt and have all the same properties, but fluff it as a cloak.. (it really should be a shirt as a cloak would be much less effective logically, but wutevs)

Naanomi
2015-01-19, 03:58 PM
It could be treated as armor of some sort (light probably, equivalent of Studded Leather?) that, like all armor, wouldnt stack with other things.

If you want to use it with armor, you could call it a shield (need a free hand to swish it around and deflect attacks) or enchant it (seems like a good start description-wise for a Cloak of Protection)

Jlooney
2015-01-19, 04:00 PM
what would be its combat uses???

As far as out of combat problems... depending on character level, most thieves that see it are gonna want to steal it. Same for any tavern wench... that would likely be quite gaudy and worth many yearly incomes...

How is that any different than a suit of plate or a magic ring? Have you ever read the descriptions? They are always made of precious metals and some are encrusted with jewels ( means a lot of them are set into it )

Myzz
2015-01-19, 04:05 PM
How is that any different than a suit of plate or a magic ring? Have you ever read the descriptions? They are always made of precious metals and some are encrusted with jewels ( means a lot of them are set into it )

A cloak is much easier to run off with than a full suit of armor... and do not have to take any rings off a person... and likely easier to resell, since it doesn't have an actual size...

jaydubs
2015-01-19, 04:07 PM
If you want to avoid problems, just don't let it stack with other armor and lock it to the same stats as one of the light armors. Or if it's for someone without light armor proficiency, lock it to the same stats as mage armor (changes how AC is calculated, also doesn't stack with other armor). In which case it's like saving a level 1 spell slot. Additionally, make it unenchantable for fluff reasons (so it doesn't become mage armor +).

I can't really think of any crazy uses for an extra durable cloak out of combat. At least nothing that should cause problems, any more than any other super durable piece of cloth.

Shadow
2015-01-19, 04:18 PM
I'd use the facing rules and treat is as a variable shield.
It protects rear and flanks, but not front, unless the user has a free hand. If the user has a free hand, then the corner with the free hand is also protected, but the front and the opposing corner are not and never will be protected by the cloak.

Player
Protected
Not protected

With no free hand:
X X X
X O X
X X X

With a free hand (left hand free for these purposes):
X X X
X O X
X X X

Logosloki
2015-01-19, 04:50 PM
I would treat a chain cloak as light armour for the purposes of armour. With it being Mithral I would probably treat it as Leather armour. I wouldn't bother trying to be fiddly with things like this in this edition. After all, shields are omnidirectional so why wouldn't a cloak be?

Easy_Lee
2015-01-19, 05:02 PM
Pretty simple, just say it sets your AC to X so that it can't stack with armor and assign whatever penalties (if any) make sense to you. That's the 5e style.

As far as its ramifications, I don't think a cloak can be used as a ram, sorry.

kaoskonfety
2015-01-19, 05:21 PM
if you are looking for options that are not "armor class"

- Use your reaction to gain advantage on a Dex save against an area effect attack
- partial cover on ranged missile attacks from the facing you hold the cloak (bonus action? reaction? choose facing and use and action and it stays there?)
- You look like a BOSS - advantage on social rolls for those easily impressed/ those who know how rare and awesome mithril is.

Jlooney
2015-01-19, 08:18 PM
- You look like a BOSS - advantage on social rolls for those easily impressed/ those who know how rare and awesome mithril is.

This one is the best one so far

As far as the rest go that's pretty much what I already had in mind. This works.