PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Druid Circle- Circle of the Wyrm

Das_Uberboat
2015-01-19, 04:05 PM
Right now, my party is working through a campaign under the ocean and in an ancient ruin. There are precious few normal beasts here; the ruin mostly populated by constructs and other creatures.
One of my players is a druid, and she picked the Moon Circle. We agreed that due to her background, it's assumed she has seen creatures such as wolves and deer and bears, giving her those options for Wild Shaping. However, this makes her Wild Shape peter out at a very low CR until a very high level.
I then noticed that there are a few Dragon-tagged enemies that have a CR of ~1, so they wouldn't be entirely inappropriate for a 3rd level Wild Shape. However, the things keeping me back from allowing it on the spot was the lack of a Beast tag(as RAW), and the presence of other movement speeds.
Inspired by the Sorcerer's Dragon Magic, I decided to make a new Druid Circle to give druids in the campaign some more options: The Circle of the Wyrm.
If there are any balance issues with the options for this Circle, please let me know. If you have any suggestions as to how this could reasonably work, please let me know. Thanks!

The Circle of the Wyrm
Made up of Druids who shun both the Land and Moon circles, the Wyrm circle is one of intense secrecy. Precious few Druids follow this path with their dragon patrons, but the ones who do regularly pass into legend as wielders of the mighty dragon shape.

Draconic Spirit- Level 2
When you choose this circle at 2nd level, you may no longer Wild Shape into Beasts. Additionally, pick one type of damage: fire, cold, lightning, acid, or poison. You gain resistance to this damage. You may change your damage type once per long rest.
Dragon Shape- Level 2
The rites of your circle grant you the ability to transform into draconic forms. Starting at second level, you can use your Wild Shape to transform into creatures of the Dragon variety up to CR 1. You follow the Wild Shape table's normal movement type restrictions, able to use only those appropriate for your level.. Additionally, your Wild Shape becomes particularly taxing; you may only recharge Wild Shapes on a long rest, and each Wild Shape causes 1 level of exhaustion after reversion to your normal form. Starting at 6th level, you can transform into a form with a challenge rating as high as your druid level divided by 3, rounded down.
Dual-Natured- Level 6
You may now pick 2 types of damage to gain resistance to per long rest. Additionally, gain Draconic as a language if you do not have it already.
True Dragon Shape- Level 10
Starting at 10th level, when you Wild Shape, you may spend both uses to Wild Shape into any Young Dragon. However, Wild Shaping this way causes levels of exhaustion equal to half the Young Dragon's CR, rounded down
True Dragon Soul- Level 14
Starting at 14th level, Wild Shaping into a Dragon form no longer causes Exhaustion. In addition, Wild Shaping into a Young Dragon only causes exhaustion levels equal to one-quarter the Young Dragon's CR, rounded down(minimum 1).
NOTE: edits and changes are in italics.

Amechra
2015-01-19, 04:26 PM
I would say that they lose any Movement modes that they normally have a restriction against - so they wouldn't get Flight or a Swim speed until higher levels.

Das_Uberboat
2015-01-19, 04:45 PM
That sounds reasonable, I'll fix that.

CoOkIisme
2015-01-19, 05:10 PM
However, Wild Shaping this way causes levels of exhaustion equal to half the Young Dragon's CR, rounded up.

Although I only play Pathfinder, I hear it is similar to 5.0. I regularly play a druid, and using Wild Shape frequently, and feel that this restriction is only a small bit too penalizing. From what I know about exhaustion in 5.0, it is fairly hard to get rid of. If this was to be improved only slightly, then I would say that it should be rounded down. But yes, dragons are quite powerful.

If this seems accusatory, I'm very sorry.

Das_Uberboat
2015-01-19, 05:28 PM
I do agree that Exhaustion is hard to remove; the only way to remove it either than 1 level per long rest is with Greater Restoration or a Potion of Vitality. The idea is that you should Wild Shape more sparingly than not; "is this battle worth Dragon Shaping for a level of exhaustion?" Personally, I think that the Dragons' capabilities in combat more than make up for the level of exhaustion gained afterwards; a CR 1 Brass Dragon Wyrmling's fire breath deals 4d6(!) damage, with half on a successful save. Personally, I think the exhaustion->high damage output tradeoff is a good exchange.
The thing with exhaustion, too, is that it's meant to be a meaningful condition in itself. The idea behind Dragon Shaping is the inherent danger behind shaping yourself beyond a Druid's normal means, and pushing the boundaries of your ability.
I will say, however, that rounding down is probably a better idea in hindsight.

CoOkIisme
2015-01-19, 07:23 PM
The idea behind Dragon Shaping is the inherent danger behind shaping yourself beyond a Druid's normal means, and pushing the boundaries of your ability.
I will say, however, that rounding down is probably a better idea in hindsight.

True. It is important to note how powerful dragons are, so it does seem to even out.