PDA

View Full Version : Short rest: duration/universal benefits

The Shadowdove
2015-01-19, 06:34 PM
Hey there

I'm getting mixed messages from other people who have recently made the 5e transition.

How long is a short rest?

What does it do for you as a player?

What is the health gain compared to a long rest?

Thanks a dozen peeps!

You are my heroes .

-Dove

Kane0
2015-01-19, 06:37 PM
A short rest takes an hour and allows you to regain some features that are dependant on short rests (fighter second wind and action surge, cleric channel divinities, warlock spell slots, etc) as well as hit dice, your pool of self healing everyone gets.

A long/extended rest takes the more well known 8 hours, in which everything is recovered (except for hit dice, you recover a couple per extended rest instead of getting them all back).

Edit: Your hit dice are a pool of dice equalling the total you have used for HP when levelling up (for example a level 5 fighter has 5d10 hit dice, a warlock 2/wizard 2 has 2d6 and 2d8 hit dice). When you short rest you can choose to spend them to heal by rolling these hit dice, adding your Con mod to each die rolled.

Alucard2099
2015-01-19, 06:37 PM
A short rest consists of a 1 hour rest. You can gain back some abilities and 1 or more hitdice of hp.

It's a great way to refresh a bit.

The Shadowdove
2015-01-19, 06:47 PM
You guys rock!

Thanks for the speedy replies!

On to make my next question.

holygroundj
2015-01-21, 10:24 AM
A short rest consists of a 1 hour rest. You can gain back some abilities and 1 or more hitdice of hp.

It's a great way to refresh a bit.

Just to quickly extrapolate: you may spend 1 or more hit die to regain HP. You only regain 1/2 of your hit dice pool during a long rest.

hymer
2015-01-21, 10:27 AM
And just to muddy the waters a tad, the DMG has options for making long and short rests longer or shorter (p. 267).