PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Punch someone so hard they can see in the dark.

deuxhero
2015-01-19, 08:24 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/wolf-savage-combat-style
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/variant-magic-rules/spellblights

Whenever you deal a prone opponent at least 10 points of damage with a natural weapon or unarmed strike, you can savage your foe as a swift action. Your victim becomes disfigured unless it succeeds at a Fortitude save (DC = 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Wisdom modifier). The effects of this disfigurement are identical to those of a bestow curse spell (caster level equal to your character level).

Bestow curse can bestow any minor spellblight

A spellcaster with ebon eyes develops a jet-black film over her eyes, which inverts her capacity to perceive light and darkness. The creature treats darkness as bright light, dim light as normal light, normal light as dim light, and bright light as darkness. The ebon eyes protect against blinding, dazzling, patterns, or other visual effects, granting a +2 bonus on all saving throws against those effects.

Ebon eyes can be removed with an effect that removes blindness.

And note this is damage period, you can wolf savage someone with non-lethal damage.

Has Pathfinder expanded the list of official possible curse beyond spellblights?
I don't know if the "Alternate Bestow Curse Effects" listed on the SRD are from the same source (or even a first party one) as Greater Bestow Curse. Does anyone know if they are first party?

Psyren
2015-01-19, 10:13 PM
It's not as wacky as it sounds, because:

Spellblights are rare and unusual magical conditions that uniquely affect spellcasters, including creatures that use spell-like abilities. Spellblights are curses, some functioning continuously and others manifesting only when the afflicted creature attempts to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability. A creature that lacks the ability to cast spells or use spell-like abilities cannot usually be afflicted by a spellblight.

In other words, it's their own innate magical energy that causes such an odd effect. One likely scenario is that you triggered some kind of odd psychosomatic event through your disfigurement.

DreganHiregard
2015-01-19, 11:22 PM
I recall book of vile darkness had a bunch of extra curse options that could be paired with this for amazing effects including:

Punching someone so hard they are rendered sterile (I wonder where you punched them....)
Punching someone so hard they go blind and deaf
Punching someone so hard they advance to the next age category. (The number of "I'll hit you so hard ...." jokes is limitless)
Punching someone so hard they go broke (thieves steal all their monetary wealth in the next week)
Punching someone so hard they can no longer SEE creatures of a specific race

And if you use the rules for family curses in the same chapter my favorite is:

Literally punching someone so hard their children will be born with bruises.

So if the GM is willing to let you use the BoVD variant curses the fun never ends.

As far as the variant curses on the SRD they aren't from the core book but I'm not sure what their source is.

But I now know I have to play an absolutely devastating punchwizard

goto124
2015-01-19, 11:39 PM
"Punching someone so hard they go broke (thieves steal all their monetary wealth in the next week)"

Or... punching so hard all their gold flies out of their moneybag and into lava/an infinite pit"the mouth of a monster.

DreganHiregard
2015-01-19, 11:48 PM
"Punching someone so hard they go broke (thieves steal all their monetary wealth in the next week)"

Or... punching so hard all their gold flies out of their moneybag and into lava/an infinite pit"the mouth of a monster.

It might as well be described as that since the BoVD just states outright that the thieves succeed. So At that point it's all flavor anyways.

deuxhero
2015-01-20, 02:22 AM
Incidentally, the first two parts of the Wolf style chain work perfectly fine with weapons including ranged ones if you can AoO with them (improved snapshot) and I'd consider Wolf Style on a Zen Archer (stopping a foe from reaching you if you do enough damage? Free trip if you do enough damage at range? Works for me). Too bad Wolf Savage breaks this trend and explicitly requires unarmed strike or melee weapons.

Psyren
2015-01-20, 03:35 AM
Incidentally, the first two parts of the Wolf style chain work perfectly fine with weapons including ranged ones if you can AoO with them (improved snapshot) and I'd consider Wolf Style on a Zen Archer (stopping a foe from reaching you if you do enough damage? Free trip if you do enough damage at range? Works for me). Too bad Wolf Savage breaks this trend and explicitly requires unarmed strike or melee weapons.

I don't buy this reading; the trip maneuver still requires a melee attack, and while wolf style lets you do that as a free action, it doesn't change the other restrictions on the trip maneuver. Something has to specifically let you perform this maneuver at range.

Prime32
2015-01-20, 05:09 AM
Incidentally, the first two parts of the Wolf style chain work perfectly fine with weapons including ranged ones if you can AoO with them (improved snapshot) and I'd consider Wolf Style on a Zen Archer (stopping a foe from reaching you if you do enough damage? Free trip if you do enough damage at range? Works for me). Too bad Wolf Savage breaks this trend and explicitly requires unarmed strike or melee weapons.One of PF's "Do what we mean, not what we say" rules is that Style feats can only be used with unarmed strikes. There's even a mechanic somewhere which removes this restriction.