PDA

View Full Version : Magnifying Chime and Planetary targetting.

Erik Vale
2015-01-19, 09:13 PM
Magnifying Chime allows you to cause a unattended object or an object in your possession to start vibrating, doing increasing damage in a steadily increasing radius.

Now. Does the planet/the ground count as being an unattended object? Because right now, I'm imagining a evil bard using it to kill and destroy everything that stays close to the ground. [It does 735 Sonic damage over 20 rounds, doing 1d6 a round increasing by 1d6/round, in a radius of 5ft increasing by 5ft. Everyone trapped underground is dead, as is almost everything on the planet, and all the buildings are reduced to rubble.]

On the plus side, it seems like you could dispel it, but it'd still seriously maim or kill a lot of commoners, unless there was say, a repeating trap of dispel magic somewhere preventing it from happening.

Edit: Name Fixing.

Honest Tiefling
2015-01-19, 09:15 PM
Odd question, but does the planet count as unattended if everyone without flight is currently using it?

Blackhawk748
2015-01-19, 09:17 PM
Magnify Vibrations allows you to cause a unattended object or an object in your possession to start vibrating, doing increasing damage in a steadily increasing radius.

Now. Does the planet/the ground count as being an unattended object? Because right now, I'm imagining a evil bard using it to kill and destroy everything that stays close to the ground. [It does 735 Sonic damage over 20 rounds, doing 1d6 a round increasing by 1d6/round, in a radius of 5ft increasing by 5ft. Everyone trapped underground is dead, as is almost everything on the planet, and all the buildings are reduced to rubble.]

On the plus side, it seems like you could dispel it, but it'd still seriously maim or kill a lot of commoners, unless there was say, a repeating trap of dispel magic somewhere preventing it from happening.

I dont know the answer but this is probably the greatest evil plan ever.

gawwy
2015-01-19, 09:23 PM
gotta ask for a source on that spell man :D

Jack_Simth
2015-01-19, 09:28 PM
Magnify Vibrations allows you to cause a unattended object or an object in your possession to start vibrating, doing increasing damage in a steadily increasing radius.

Where does the spell come from? It's probably got a range, and if you check the Range Entry in the Magic Overview (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#range) you have:

A spell’s range indicates how far from you it can reach, as defined in the Range entry of the spell description. A spell’s range is the maximum distance from you that the spell’s effect can occur, as well as the maximum distance at which you can designate the spell’s point of origin. If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted. Standard ranges include the following. (Emphasis added)

So even if it's a Long range spell, it will at most hurt people in the same city. But as noted by Honest Tiefling, you've got a bit of a problem with a rather lot of DM's: "does the planet count as unattended if everyone without flight is currently using it?" - so it's pretty good odds that if the DM doesn't want this to be an 'end of the world' thing, it's a complete no-go on that aspect alone. Oh yes, and terrain isn't generally treated as an object in D&D. It just kind of is.

Erik Vale
2015-01-19, 09:29 PM
Sorry, I got the name wrong [Fixing that], it's Magnifying Chime (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magnifying-chime), a 6th level bard spell from the advanced class guide.

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-19, 09:47 PM
If it works, I wouldn't recommend using it.

DM: Okay everyone, thanks for coming. You all are in an inn. The BBEG destroys the planet. Good job. You failed already.

(Un)Inspired
2015-01-19, 09:49 PM
I believe a planet is a collection of objects in the same way that skull and shackles claims that a ship is a collection of objects although I lack a source for this claim.

Erik Vale
2015-01-19, 10:02 PM
I'd accept the multiple objects ruling [However I'd then ask whether that meant just the peice of dirt I touched vibrated, or if I got the continental shelf?], which is supported by geology [RL is true except where rules say otherwise]. However, depending on how far it was broken down, it could still be world ending.

Chronos
2015-01-20, 10:25 AM
Not only is the planet attended, it's also not in your possession. A big boulder, say, might fit both criteria, but then you're just vibrating the boulder.

Gwachitallemall
2015-01-20, 10:45 AM
Well, there is the Skyway in Sharn, a completely separate area, that could be vibrated. It kind of just floats in the sky, so could it be considered unattended? (Sharn, City of Towers, Eberron Campaign Setting as well, are the two source books it's mainly in.)

ZamielVanWeber
2015-01-20, 10:47 AM
I would argue that people using it to walk/sit/sell/whatever on are using it, just like I am using this chair to sit in and is thus attended.

Gwachitallemall
2015-01-20, 10:52 AM
It's actually a completely separate city, basically. I could see that argument, but I could see the one that most people aren't actually in contact with the skyway (The only way to get up there is to take a soarsled, skycoach, or fly, there's constant spells of feather fall on everything, and you have to assume someone has a levitate overpowered to get it up there so everyone is just kind of floating on air.)