PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying earthbound/mother 2.... classes

sideswipe
2015-01-19, 09:27 PM
hello playground, and any earthbound fans.

just for fun, i want to replicate the party from earthbound,

earthbound is an RPG on the super Nintendo (super famicon) widely known for being quirky and having very deep real world issues imbedded in its story but handled in the innocence of a child way with super happy overtones. don't worry i wont give spoilers on the story.

the game follows a young boy called ness and his friends he meets as he tries to stop an evil force taking over the world. rather then swords and guns and medipacks you use yo-yo's, baseball bats and eat pizza. you gain magic in the form of PSI powers with various effects.

so the four characters are -
Ness (main character)
slow, lots of HP but not much defence, second best mage, second best melee, also good at hanging on and fighting past the point others would drop, reasonably lucky.
uses a melee weapon well.

PSI -
special - area attack for huge damage
flash - assorted status effects and debuffs (up to an area/ multiple targets)
healing - heals all status effects and revives dead allies (one ally per cast)
lifeup - heals a tonne of hp to up to all allies
hypnosis - mass sleep effect
paralysis - mass paralysing effect
shield - prevents some damage and later reflects some damage back to the source. (does not stop PSI)
teleport - teleport

paula (mage)
weakest defence and HP, most mana so best mage, poor in melee but very fast to react and average in staying ability and luck.
uses mostly magic to attack.

has an ability they can activate at will that causes a huge variety of effects, ranging from healing allies (and sometimes enemies), damage, debuffs enemies (and sometimes friends).

PSI
freeze - single target high damage cold attack
fire - small area/line of medium damage (still high due to being a good mage)
thunder - randomly hits enemies for medium damage (higher spell cast more bolts)
PSI sheild - blocks PSI attacks and later reflects them (single ally or all allies)
defence up - all allies defence raise
offence up - all allies offence increase

jeff (the only non mage)
average hp, high intelligence, pathetic attack (with ranged), bad defence, pretty average everything else.
uses special abilities to attack and be useful, which are; being able to repair any broken items and to use complex items and special items that only he can use (high tech items) which can be really useful. they can replicate debuffs (defensive buffs only) and cause a few status effects, or just stupid ranged damage.

.....POO (yes really, he is Asian)
martial artist battle mage type, learns unique and powerful PSI as well as highest base offence and defence, average HP, very low mana which restricts the use of his powerful PSI, dumb, low luck.

uses very little equipment.

PSI
freeze - single target cold damage (less than paula)
thunder - multiple random targets hit with electrical damage (more powerful then paula)
STARSTORM! - hits for huge damage to a large area, less max damage then NESS special PSI, but much higher average damage.
lifeup - a tonne of hp to 1 ally
healing - heals all status effects and revives dead allies to 100% (one ally per cast)
PSI magnet - drains PSI points from a target that uses PSI and replenishes your own
shield - prevents some damage and later reflects some damage back to the source. (does not stop PSI)
brainshock - causes target to become confused and may attack allies (single target or multiple)
Teleport - Teleport

i need help replicating their abilities through classes. and whereas i know they can all be replicated by a psion 20 with an epic STP erudite buddy i don't want that type of answer.
im not after them being uber optimised. just very fluffy.

a note - most of the abilities due to the nature of the game have lesser equivalents,
example being lifeup. you get alpha, beta, gamma and omega. at each level you can cast the current and all previous versions, each time it increases in power or number of targets it can effect. most powers have this but i did not include the smaller versions only getting the powerful effects is really a problem.

what do you guys think? i have some ideas (spellthief + master spellthief of Poo for the PSI magnet)

and just because they are psychic powers i don't mind replication by spells at all.

DMVerdandi
2015-01-19, 10:05 PM
hello playground, and any earthbound fans.

just for fun, i want to replicate the party from earthbound,

earthbound is an RPG on the super Nintendo (super famicon) widely known for being quirky and having very deep real world issues imbedded in its story but handled in the innocence of a child way with super happy overtones. don't worry i wont give spoilers on the story.

the game follows a young boy called ness and his friends he meets as he tries to stop an evil force taking over the world. rather then swords and guns and medipacks you use yo-yo's, baseball bats and eat pizza. you gain magic in the form of PSI powers with various effects.

so the four characters are -
Ness (main character)
slow, lots of HP but not much defence, second best mage, second best melee, also good at hanging on and fighting past the point others would drop, reasonably lucky.
uses a melee weapon well.

PSI -
special - area attack for huge damage
flash - assorted status effects and debuffs (up to an area/ multiple targets)
healing - heals all status effects and revives dead allies (one ally per cast)
lifeup - heals a tonne of hp to up to all allies
hypnosis - mass sleep effect
paralysis - mass paralysing effect
teleport - teleport

paula (mage)
weakest defence and HP, most mana so best mage, poor in melee but very fast to react and average in staying ability and luck.
uses mostly magic to attack.

has an ability they can activate at will that causes a huge variety of effects, ranging from healing allies (and sometimes enemies), damage, debuffs enemies (and sometimes friends).

PSI
freeze - single target high damage cold attack
fire - small area/line of medium damage (still high due to being a good mage)
thunder - randomly hits enemies for medium damage (higher spell cast more bolts)
PSI sheild - blocks PSI attacks and later reflects them (single ally or all allies)
defence up - all allies defence raise
offence up - all allies offence increase

jeff (the only non mage)
average hp, high intelligence, pathetic attack (with ranged), bad defence, pretty average everything else.
uses special abilities to attack and be useful, which are; being able to repair any broken items and to use complex items and special items that only he can use (high tech items) which can be really useful. they can replicate debuffs (defensive buffs only) and cause a few status effects, or just stupid ranged damage.

.....POO (yes really, he is Asian)
martial artist battle mage type, learns unique and powerful PSI as well as highest base offence and defence, average HP, very low mana which restricts the use of his powerful PSI, dumb, low luck.

uses very little equipment.

PSI
freeze - single target cold damage (less than paula)
thunder - multiple random targets hit with electrical damage (more powerful then paula)
STARSTORM! - hits for huge damage to a large area, less max damage then NESS special PSI, but much higher average damage.
lifeup - a tonne of hp to 1 ally
healing - heals all status effects and revives dead allies to 100% (one ally per cast)
PSI magnet - drains PSI points from a target that uses PSI and replenishes your own
brainshock - causes target to become confused and may attack allies (single target or multiple)
Teleport - Teleport

i need help replicating their abilities through classes. and whereas i know they can all be replicated by a psion 20 with an epic STP erudite buddy i don't want that type of answer.
im not after them being uber optimised. just very fluffy.

a note - most of the abilities due to the nature of the game have lesser equivalents,
example being lifeup. you get alpha, beta, gamma and omega. at each level you can cast the current and all previous versions, each time it increases in power or number of targets it can effect. most powers have this but i did not include the smaller versions only getting the powerful effects is really a problem.

what do you guys think? i have some ideas (spellthief + master spellthief of Poo for the PSI magnet)

and just because they are psychic powers i don't mind replication by spells at all.

Well, to be honest, you could simply use the spell point system for the casting classes, you know.

Ness becomes a Cleric of magic and spell (use spontaneous domain for spell)

Paula becomes a spell point Evocation Wizard

Jeff is Artificer

Poo is druid with Druidic Avenger and Deadly Hunter

Voila. No real Psionic classes used, You still have points, and they could all really play somewhat similarly to how they do in the game.

PK ROCKIN!

sideswipe
2015-01-20, 07:26 AM
Well, to be honest, you could simply use the spell point system for the casting classes, you know.

Ness becomes a Cleric of magic and spell (use spontaneous domain for spell)

Paula becomes a spell point Evocation Wizard

Jeff is Artificer

Poo is druid with Druidic Avenger and Deadly Hunter

Voila. No real Psionic classes used, You still have points, and they could all really play somewhat similarly to how they do in the game.

PK ROCKIN!

its a good start but i want what would replicate each power. and any class features that could replicate abilities.