PDA

View Full Version : 2nd level fighter feat

Tiri
2015-01-19, 10:00 PM
My cousin's fighter recently leveled up to level 2 and he isn't sure what feat to choose.He asked me for help but I've never played a fighter before so I decided to come here to ask what feats are good for a 2nd level fighter.

His stats:
Half-elf
Str: 18
Con: 15
Dex: 13
Int: 14
Wis: 8
Cha: 14
Feats:
Cleave
Weapon Focus (greatsword)

OldTrees1
2015-01-19, 10:06 PM
What sources are available?

For instance:
If the Dungeonscape book is available, the Dungeoncrasher alternate class feature is a good choice at 2nd level. Gaining Improved Bullrush at 4th works nicely with it.

If Complete Warrior is available, Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise, Dodge, and finally Karmic Strike is nice.

Even Combat Expertise, Improved Trip is nice (although it usually uses a reach weapon).

eggynack
2015-01-19, 10:11 PM
Power attack is reasonable, but weapon focus significantly less so. I'd recommend picking up improved trip, and combat expertise as its prerequisite. Definitely one of the best fighter feats in core, and outside of core at that. You even have the intelligence for it, and the dexterity to pick up combat reflexes later.

Flickerdart
2015-01-19, 10:13 PM
Eh, Weapon Focus is alright at level 2, especially for a Half-Elf, who doesn't have native STR boosts. If he can retrain, he should retrain it later - around level 6. If not, then it's too late to change anyway.

LooseCannoneer
2015-01-19, 10:15 PM
Power attack is reasonable, but weapon focus significantly less so. I'd recommend picking up improved trip, and combat expertise as its prerequisite. Definitely one of the best fighter feats in core, and outside of core at that. You even have the intelligence for it, and the dexterity to pick up combat reflexes later.

Improved Trip is amazing. If you can get the trip bonus to a ridiculous level, you get to force them to take a move action, whereupon you get an attack of opportunity.

Tiri
2015-01-19, 10:57 PM
We are allowed all 1st party books. Unfortunately, my cousin is 7 and I'm not sure he can grasp the mechanics of bullrushing or tripping (we don't use attacks of opportunity because the DM thinks he's not ready for it, he tried to Sneak Attack because he forgot he was a fighter and thought he was a rogue and he forgot that his character sheet changes on level up yesterday).

OldTrees1
2015-01-19, 11:04 PM
We are allowed all 1st party books. Unfortunately, my cousin is 7 and I'm not sure he can grasp the mechanics of bullrushing or tripping (we don't use attacks of opportunity because the DM thinks he's not ready for it, he tried to Sneak Attack because he forgot he was a fighter and thought he was a rogue and he forgot that his character sheet changes on level up yesterday).

Hmm.
How about Cleave?

Tiri
2015-01-19, 11:20 PM
Oops. Sorry, I misremebered Cleave as Power Attack. We didn't want to help him decide when to use it or not on every attack and help with the math. So I guess not that, either.

OldTrees1
2015-01-19, 11:37 PM
Oops. Sorry, I misremebered Cleave as Power Attack. We didn't want to help him decide when to use it or not on every attack and help with the math. So I guess not that, either.

Power Attack is the prerequisite of Cleave. So I take it you are willing to let him skip prereqs he would not use.

With those limitations it is hard to come up with anything.
The Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Melee Weapon Mastery, Improved Critical, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization set of feats is possible.

Many people like Improved Initative.

sideswipe
2015-01-20, 07:34 AM
does he have a goal for the character? i see he is using a great sword so i guess he is going for damage and not combat control.

power attack, improved bull rush, shock trooper, leap attack is a good set of feats.
as said before dungeoncrasher is a great alternate class feature.

also look at improved sunder, its weird how it can come up and he will eventually have the spare feats.

he will have to work hard stacking damage multipliers later on else he will easily be outclassed by any caster who decides to sling a damage spell.

ooops just read he is 7.

well then i personally would take the players handbook, throw it away for the most part and like said before go along the weapon focus tree and add flat numbers to his sword attack.
when he starts running out of feats let him take the epic feat (worse than most pre epic feats) great strength. it permanently increases his strength by 1.

increase the number he adds to his dice. and then homebrew a badass sword and armour later on.
the badass sword should essentially be he can hit and do damage to anything and ignore DR and other things that stop damage.
the amour, just make overpowered defensively. if he is 7 he won't really grasp dying too much and might become really upset.

he will be really weak otherwise, and he might realise it and have no fun. so just have the sword look cool and let him hurt anything as if it was just a normal human.

Darrin
2015-01-20, 09:01 AM
If he doesn't have Cleave, I'd suggest he take Cleave, because there will be a huge payoff when he drops a creature and every player at the table shouts, "CLEAVE!" (audience participation thing).

If he already has Cleave, then Improved Initiative or Blind-Fight.