PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Crazy Speed Monk, Pathfinder

Hexmonk21
2015-01-19, 10:34 PM
I read about the Monk of the Four Winds archetype the other day, and realized that those that chose the Tiger aspect could charge over absolutely insane distances. I then set out to optimize character speed to go as far (and as fast) as tigerly possible. Did I miss anything? (Just using pathfinder; I've seen good old Chuck E. Cheese.)

Brohiem the Tigah Monk

Race: Awakened Cheetah (50ft base speed. In theory, their Pounce stacks with the Tiger Aspect's charge. Even if not, cheetahs still have the fastest land speed I know of.)

Class: Monk [Monk of the Four Winds] 18, Cleric 1, Barbarian 1 (Monk grants +60ft enhancement movement bonus and may spend a Ki to get +20ft, also Aspect of the Tiger.)(Cleric grants the Travel domain for +10 speed.)(Barbarian grants +10ft.)

Feats: Fleet x10 (+50ft)

Items: Boots of Striding and Springing (+10ft)

Total Speed: 210 ft movement
Tiger/Cheetah Charge Distance: 210x2x10 = 4200 ft
Assuming the two charges stack: 210x2x10x10 = 42,000 ft

Assuming beginning and ending speeds are a complete standstill, Brohiem would be going 477 miles per hour with only one of the sprint bonuses. The other would let the crazy cat monk go 4,772 miles per hour. For the record, both of these would thoroughly disintegrate a person.

Also I know barbarians can get a Sprint power that lets them triple their speed, but it's the same name as the Cheetah ability so I just assumed the two wouldn't stack from conventional wisdom.

Did I miss anything, or is this as fast as old Brohiem will go? I'm wanting to stick him up on a mountain as a guardian angel type where he'll charge down to stop bandits and evil pcs and stuff in his domain, so I kind of need this to determine his charge distance.

Psyren
2015-01-20, 12:44 AM
Well... Cheetah's sprint ability actually says:

Sprint (Ex)
Once per hour, a cheetah can move at 10 times its normal speed (500 feet) when it makes a charge.

Both the qualifier and parenthetical seem to indicate that the sprint speed is fixed - increasing its speed by other means will not get those multiplied by 10 as well. It only moves at 10x normal speed, and a cheetah's normal speed is 50ft. They then reinforce this by telling you exactly how fast it moves.

Hexmonk21
2015-01-20, 01:02 AM
Aww I thought that was just for simplicity's sake, like when they tell you all of a monster's DCs but then follow it with "These DCs are Con based, they change if the creature's con changes".

So Brohiem only goes 477 mph. Sad day, but thank you for the clarity, sir.

VexingFool
2015-01-20, 01:05 AM
Boots of Striding and Springing grant an enhancement bonus to speed and would not stack with the monk enhancement bonus.

Feint's End
2015-01-20, 05:16 AM
Aside from the sprint boni not stacking and the enhancement boni not stacking this works.