PDA

View Full Version : Music Album of the Year 2014

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-01-19, 11:35 PM
If I open this up with "another year come and gone" would you all think me terribly unoriginal?

Another year come and gone, another new crop of lists to wave in front of the newly born 2015 and insist "Keep up, kid, we're all counting on you". Time will tell if it does, in the meantime though, I want to know what records tickled your coccyx these past 12 months. It was a pretty good year, so you have a wealth of albums to choose from. Bear in mind, however, if you choose something obvious like To Be Kind or Black Messiah or Run the Jewels 2 that it will be going on your permanent record.

I never said this would be fun. Now buck up and let's have it, son.

Godie1803
2015-01-22, 07:51 AM
I would say that one of the best albums of 2014 was Plagues Of Babylon by Iced Earth, it has power, great riffs, awesome drums and kick ass solos.

Peebles
2015-01-22, 08:08 AM
Looking back I realised I got old this year, as I didn't buy many albums at all. :smalleek:

Thought, of the few I did buy, Damned Renegades by Davenport Cabinet was comfortably the best. Excellent soft rock with a bit of an experimental edge.

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-01-22, 11:47 PM
Looking back I realised I got old this year, as I didn't buy many albums at all. :smalleek:

I hear that a lot, but I don't get it.

Is it that you're too old to be trendy? Well, okay, but what about the non trendy albums? Or is it that you're too old to keep up with new music? I don't even know how that works.

The Extinguisher
2015-01-23, 02:05 AM
While I'm pretty sure Transgender Dsyphoria Blues by Against Me! is probably the best album of 2014, I think my favourite has to be Christmas Island by Andrew Jackson Jihad. It's fun and witty and smart and sad and just awesome.

Honourable mention to 1989. Don't look at me like that.

Peebles
2015-01-23, 03:45 AM
I hear that a lot, but I don't get it.

Is it that you're too old to be trendy? Well, okay, but what about the non trendy albums? Or is it that you're too old to keep up with new music? I don't even know how that works.

I think it's more to do with 2014 being the year where I found 90% of new music to be awful. That's a sign of being old, right?

DJ Yung Crunk
2015-01-23, 07:18 AM
Honourable mention to 1989. Don't look at me like that.

That was a good album. No one's looking at you, man. The runway is clear. The only person who would judge you are the dadrock loving "lol top 40" crowd and, to be honest, no one really cares what they think, anyway. (http://www.reddit.com/r/lewronggeneration/)

I think it's more to do with 2014 being the year where I found 90% of new music to be awful. That's a sign of being old, right?

Is it? I'll have to take your word for that.

Are you sure you're not confusing "2014 music" for "2014 radio pop"? A disappointing number of people do that. Disliking the latter is a classic "git off my lawn" sign of age, but the former, in my experience, is still embraced by the older crowd.

Killer Angel
2015-01-23, 09:43 AM
I would say that one of the best albums of 2014 was Plagues Of Babylon by Iced Earth, it has power, great riffs, awesome drums and kick ass solos.

...and here goes my nomination.
Oh, well, there's always Origins, by Eluveitie.