PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk?

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-04-02, 07:50 PM
Having just read through Girl Genius 101, I've decided that it would be fun to tackle (read: make) a homebrew steampunk world. However, i have no experience with steampunk and therefore have only vague notions of how such a world would work within the DnD rules. Can anyone help me out with advice?

TheOOB
2007-04-02, 07:54 PM
As far as D&D would go theres not really much you would have to change, firearms rules are allready present in the DMG, and for the most part devices work as they are intended to work and don't need detailed rules.

Is there anything specific you needed that the current 3.5 rules don't accomodate?

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-02, 08:45 PM
Pssst. Iron Kingdoms? Maybe?

Tellah
2007-04-02, 08:53 PM
If you're planning on basing it closely on Girl Genius, I recommend that you homebrew up a balanced version of the Artificer.

A wiser man than I once posted that you should make firearms function the way you want them to be used--the DMG firearms are awful and nonsensical from a historical perspective. If you want them to be common, make them powerful. If you want them to be complicated (but fun), try the Iron Kingdoms rules. If you want them to be simple and balanced, make them function exactly like crossbows. The latter is the option I took in one of my recent campaigns.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-02, 09:01 PM
Also try the Etherscope setting.

Habzial
2007-04-03, 07:47 AM
You could always grab a core book for a cyberpunk game (Cyberpunk, Ex Machina) or cyberpunk/fantasy (Shadowrun) to give yourself a starting point.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-04-03, 08:34 AM
Also, before I forget; not sure if you'll like it, but...
A little something. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38331)