PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Pact magic and magic items interraction

Felvion
2015-01-20, 07:48 AM
I'm planning on building a warlock and i'm not sure how some things should work:

1.a) Let's say a warlock finds a scroll of invisibility. Can he use the scroll if he doesn't know the spell? Does the fact that the spell is on the warlock spell list make any difference?
1.b) What about wands? Does a spellcaster need to know the spell fireball in order to use a wand of fireballs?

2.a) The wizard that crafted the aforementioned scroll cast it using a 2nd level slot. In case the warlock is level 7 (and he knows the spell) can he use the scroll to cast it as a 4rth level spell?
2.b) Does it work the other way around? If a warlock crafts a scroll of invisibility as 5th level spell, can a 3rd level wizard cast it?

3)Can a warlock willingly lower the spell slot of the spell he casts? Can a 5 level warlock cast a spell such as hellish rebuke as a 1 level only? Let's say there is an instance he has to use a spell but he wants to deal as less damage as possible because he only pretends to be enemies with the target.
This would also be usefull if he finds an item similar to ring of spell storing but with lower spell level cap.

4) In case a warlock decides to craft magic items, he uses the same rules as everyone else, right?

5) Can a tomelock craft wands out of the rituals he knows?

6) Are mystic arcanums considered regular spells for crafting purposes?

I think that's all. It's possible that i've misunderstood some general rules, feel free to point it out, even specific rules you may assume i've missed. I have to note though that i probably know the answer to most of them, i just had to make sure it is the right one.

Jlooney
2015-01-20, 09:28 AM
I'm planning on building a warlock and i'm not sure how some things should work:

1.a) Let's say a warlock finds a scroll of invisibility. Can he use the scroll if he doesn't know the spell? Does the fact that the spell is on the warlock spell list make any difference?
1.b) What about wands? Does a spellcaster need to know the spell fireball in order to use a wand of fireballs?

2.a) The wizard that crafted the aforementioned scroll cast it using a 2nd level slot. In case the warlock is level 7 (and he knows the spell) can he use the scroll to cast it as a 4rth level spell?
2.b) Does it work the other way around? If a warlock crafts a scroll of invisibility as 5th level spell, can a 3rd level wizard cast it?

3)Can a warlock willingly lower the spell slot of the spell he casts? Can a 5 level warlock cast a spell such as hellish rebuke as a 1 level only? Let's say there is an instance he has to use a spell but he wants to deal as less damage as possible because he only pretends to be enemies with the target.
This would also be usefull if he finds an item similar to ring of spell storing but with lower spell level cap.

4) In case a warlock decides to craft magic items, he uses the same rules as everyone else, right?

I think that's all. It's possible that i've misunderstood some general rules, feel free to point it out, even specific rules you may assume i've missed. I have to note though that i probably know the answer to most of them, i just had to make sure it is the right one.

3. A warlock must always cast his spells in the highest available slot

4. Yes

5. Yes but why? Rituals don't take up spell slots.

6. No they are basically spell like abilities since you don't actually get the spell slot just one spell of that level.

Alucard2099
2015-01-20, 09:42 AM

1a, casting a spell from a scroll doesn't require you to know the spell, or have it on your spell list. AS LONG AS YOU CAN READ THE WORDS.

1b, Nor does a wand or rod.

2a, No, the scroll allows the cast to be done at the predetermined level. Knowing the spell does not change this.
2b, Yes, as long as they can ready it.

The spell must be cast as a spell of it's level as a minimum. You can cast it at a higher level, but not lower.

Correct.

There are no real rules about this, so I would allow it.

Yes

I hope this helps... also, Warlock is my favorite class

holygroundj
2015-01-20, 09:43 AM

1a)spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell’s components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible. If the spell is on your class’s spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect.
1b)No. They may use the wand freely. So may a thief.

2a)No. The level of the scroll is the level of the spell. You are not using your own spell slot.
2b)Yes. If the spell is a higher level than they can normally cast, they must make an ability check (in this case INT for wizards) See above.
3) No. You do not have lower slots, unlike every other casting class. You must use a spell slot you have, and they are always max level. However, as a DM I would always let someone limit the amount of damage they do for a spell.
4) Yes.
5) RAW, yes. These are spells he/she "knows." I'm not even sure which rituals you would need in a wand form.
6) This is tricky. Technically they are not spells, so RAW, no. You never learn the spell, you simply have an ability that casts something like the spells. I wouldn't blink if a DM allowed this though.

Felvion
2015-01-20, 12:11 PM
Thank you all for the replies!

My first thougths on those we all agree:
Craft wands out of the ritual book? Yes!
If i craft a wand of the ritual detect magic, will i be able to cast it as a spell? I mean a 1-action-casting-time spell. If it's a wand of magic detection just like the one discribed in the phb doesn't that give me the ability to use it as described? Would it be different if the wizard of the party had crafted the wand and given it to me? What if he didn't prepare it everyday (as per the crafting rules) but used the ritual version of it?

Now let's get on the things for which opinions seem to vary:
scrolls...
Personally i found no citation on the PHB apart from " you can copy spells found in spellbooks or scrolls" stuff.
The dmg on the other hand, had some minor mentions on pages 139 and 140. While there is a variant reference on scroll mishaps (interesting variant but better leave it out of the coversation as it doesn't help at all) i found nothing about how to attempt to activate scrolls.
I think drac.. ehm sorry Alucard2099 was right for the "1a, casting a spell from a scroll doesn't require you to know the spell, or have it on your spell list. AS LONG AS YOU CAN READ THE WORDS." part.
My only doubts were because of the last words of the scroll paragraph (pg 139) where it notes that "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it."
I found nothing on how to make such an attempt except whatever is written in page 141 in the Activating an item, Spells section. Still no sheck or anything so i guess i stick with the "spend your action-cast the spell" rule.
I'm curious though, where did holygroundj get this:

1a)spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class’s spell list, you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell’s components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible. If the spell is on your class’s spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell’s level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect.

visitor
2015-01-20, 12:21 PM
Thank you all for the replies!

My first thougths on those we all agree:
Craft wands out of the ritual book? Yes!
If i craft a wand of the ritual detect magic, will i be able to cast it as a spell? I mean a 1-action-casting-time spell. If it's a wand of magic detection just like the one discribed in the phb doesn't that give me the ability to use it as described? Would it be different if the wizard of the party had crafted the wand and given it to me? What if he didn't prepare it everyday (as per the crafting rules) but used the ritual version of it?

Now let's get on the things for which opinions seem to vary:
scrolls...
Personally i found no citation on the PHB apart from " you can copy spells found in spellbooks or scrolls" stuff.
The dmg on the other hand, had some minor mentions on pages 139 and 140. While there is a variant reference on scroll mishaps (interesting variant but better leave it out of the coversation as it doesn't help at all) i found nothing about how to attempt to activate scrolls.
I think drac.. ehm sorry Alucard2099 was right for the "1a, casting a spell from a scroll doesn't require you to know the spell, or have it on your spell list. AS LONG AS YOU CAN READ THE WORDS." part.
My only doubts were because of the last words of the scroll paragraph (pg 139) where it notes that "Any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it."
I found nothing on how to make such an attempt except whatever is written in page 141 in the Activating an item, Spells section. Still no sheck or anything so i guess i stick with the "spend your action-cast the spell" rule.
I'm curious though, where did holygroundj get this:

Believe that last part from DMG under treasure: spell scrolls.

Myzz
2015-01-20, 01:46 PM
wouldn't the attempt to activate be an arcana check?

which is what you'd have to do to cast a spell off a scroll not on your spell list?

Felvion
2015-01-20, 02:40 PM
Believe that last part from DMG under treasure: spell scrolls.

Either our copies are different or i'm completely blind. Nowhere in my DMG says anything about a skill check and a dc.

wouldn't the attempt to activate be an arcana check?

which is what you'd have to do to cast a spell off a scroll not on your spell list?

Where is such a check described?

visitor
2015-01-20, 02:47 PM
Either our copies are different or i'm completely blind. Nowhere in my DMG says anything about a skill check and a dc.

Where is such a check described?

Sorry I'm working and don't have the DMG in front of me to get you a page number. But in the listing of treasures, with the description of spell scrolls they have that paragraph.

Which is confusing as it's very different from the PHB.

visitor
2015-01-20, 02:48 PM
Double post sorry

visitor
2015-01-20, 08:59 PM
Ok, DMG p. 200:

Spell Scroll
Scroll, varies

A spell scroll bears the words of a single spell, written in a mystical cipher. If the spell is on your class's spell list, you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell's components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible.

If the spell is on your class's spell list but of a higher level than you can normally cast, you must make an ability check using your spellcasting ability to determine whether you cast it successfully. The DC equals 10 + the spell's level. On a failed check, the spell disappears from the scroll with no other effect.

Once the spell is cast, the words on the scroll fade, and the scroll itself crumbles to dust.

The level of the spell on the scroll determines the spell's saving throw DC and attack bonus, as well as the scroll's rarity, as shown in the Spell Scroll table.

(Spell Scroll Table)

A wizard spell on a spell scroll can be copied just as spells in spellbooks can be copied. When a spell is copied from a spell scroll, the copier must succeed on an Intelligence (Arcana) check with a DC equal to 10 + the spell's level. If the check succeeds, the spell is successfully copied. Whether the check succeeds or fails, the spell scroll is destroyed.

Felvion
2015-01-20, 09:39 PM
Ok, DMG p. 200:

Spell Scroll
Scroll, varies

Thanks man, that was really helpful!