PDA

View Full Version : Solution for lvl 1 LA +1 character

SlaadLord
2007-04-02, 08:17 PM
If NPC classes only add +1/2 CR, could you apply one to a PC with a level adjustment of +1 until he levels up, and then apply their chosen class as usual?

Like, I you wanted to be an aasimar paladin, you would start as a level 1 warrior, then once you gained a level, you'd become a level 1 paladin instead of a warrior.

Fighter, Barbarian, Monk, Paladin, Ranger, Classes From Complete Warrior: Warrior
Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, Wizard, Classes From Complete Arcane or Divine: Adept
Bard, Rogue, Classes from Complete Advernturer: Expert

What Think?

Kyace
2007-04-02, 08:26 PM
Challenge Rating and Level Adjustment are basically two different sides of the same coin, so this sort of makes sense, but since you posted it here instead of gaming, I figure you know this likely wouldn't work by RAW. Sounds like a very reasonable house rule to take NPC classes until your LA equals zero.

Fizban
2007-04-03, 12:21 AM
CR != ECL. I'd suggest a level of commoner with no 1st level feat or skill points.

Alternatively, you could have them start with one level of racial hit dice, but that has the problem of quite possibly granting more than their first class level would. Especially if it's dragon or outsider, or if they were going spellcaster.

Kel_Arath
2007-04-06, 09:08 PM
i would vote you get a level of commoner until you level, but thats just me

brian c
2007-04-06, 09:51 PM
I played a first level half-ogre before, which is LA +1 (according to savage species anyway, which is what we had). The DM compromised with me and let me have a feat and skill points, but no BAB and only half of my racial natural armor (from 4 down to 2 I think). I would have taken a level of fighter as a 1st level fighter and 2nd level character (as if I had created the character at lvl2) but that game didn't get much play and we never actually leveled up.

Clementx
2007-04-06, 11:49 PM
You know, NPC classes are a very clever work-around for the messy issue of building a racial progression or having to start a full level ahead. I plan on stealing it, if you don't mind, because it works better than the official ways.

nick012000
2007-04-06, 11:58 PM
Well, the official way to play a LA race at level 1 is to just take a number of negative levels equal to your LA that are removed as you level.

Aquillion
2007-04-07, 12:13 AM
It's still not going to work perfectly with some LA races, though... often the reason for an LA (particularly for flying races, say) is because the players aren't supposed to have easy access to ability X until level Y or whatever.

A flying race, for example, is always going to be unbalancing at level 1. No way around it.

TheOOB
2007-04-07, 01:21 AM
If someone really must play a LA +1 race at level one, I just start them at level 1 and don't advance them to level four tell they get to 4,000 xp. The first level is usually pretty short so the gap in power isn't all that great for too long.

Tellah
2007-04-07, 01:30 AM
A flying race, for example, is always going to be unbalancing at level 1. No way around it.

Raptorans...

Soepvork
2007-04-07, 05:55 AM
Try this one: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a

Jalil
2007-04-07, 10:50 AM
Raptorans...

They can't even begin flying till level 5, and only quite poorly until lvl10...

Matthew
2007-04-08, 10:32 PM
Hmmn, Could you not just be Classless? [i.e. an Unclassed Humanoid]. I know you can't by the RAW, but I seem to recall it being possible in 3.0 (weren't Kobolds presented without Class Levels?)