PDA

View Full Version : Disarm Bonus of a Sai

Burnicle
2015-01-20, 10:44 AM
The sai states it gives +4 on attempts made to disarm. If holding a sai in both hands, does this go up to +8?

Modifiers with no type stack, and as far as I can tell the sai's +4 modifier has no type, and it doesn't say you have to be using the weapon to get the bonus.

Attempting to disarm with two sais: -4 for light weapon, +4 for sai, +4 for second sai = +4 overall.

Still not as good as, for example, a ransuer; which gets +2 bonus to Disarm, and +4 for being a two handed weapon, but two sais would allow a Monk to use Flurry of Blows, making extra disarm attempts with a decent bonus. (Although, as far as I can tell, the same as a quarterstaff that gives a +4 bonus also.)

Is this accurate, or have I missed something?

Flickerdart
2015-01-20, 10:52 AM
Untyped bonuses from the same source never stack, so even if you could disarm with two weapons (which you should be able to even though the rules don't support it, that's a pretty sweet mental image) the +4 bonus only counts once. You also cannot wield a light weapon in two hands - there's simply not enough handle.

Psyren
2015-01-20, 10:54 AM
I think by "in both hands" the OP actually meant "one in each hand."

But the answer is still right, they would not stack, because even if you are wielding two different sai you could only disarm with one at a time. (Disarm is an attack roll.)

EDIT: typo

prufock
2015-01-20, 10:56 AM
Besides which, if you're doubling up on the bonus for two sai, you should also double up on the penalty for two light weapons. The +4 bonus for a sai just negates -4 for it being a light weapon.

Burnicle
2015-01-20, 11:15 AM
Yes I should have said, "a sai in each hand" and I was assuming the second sai was more of a support, not an attack. If bonus' from the same source don't stack, I'd switch to a sai and a nunchuck (or a flail and a whip to lose the light weapon penalty!), but sounds like you wouldnt get the bonus for the second weapon anyway.

Ah well, I'll have to accept that Monks just are not effective fighting machines sooner or later. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2015-01-20, 11:24 AM
Yes I should have said, "a sai in each hand" and I was assuming the second sai was more of a support, not an attack. If bonus' from the same source don't stack, I'd switch to a sai and a nunchuck (or a flail and a whip to lose the light weapon penalty!), but sounds like you wouldnt get the bonus for the second weapon anyway.

Ah well, I'll have to accept that Monks just are not effective fighting machines sooner or later. :smalltongue:
I'd say "there should be a feat for this" but 3.5 loves making people take feat taxes to do anything cool.

There should be some kind of synergy bonus thing between feats. Like, "if you have Improved Disarm and TWF, you can disarm with both weapons at the same time, applying disarm bonuses (but not penalties) from each weapon."

To the homebrewmobile!

Burnicle
2015-01-20, 11:30 AM
Is there anyway to make a sai one handed rather than light? A "heavy" sai which would still benefit from +4 to disarm, without the -4. Homebrew may be the answer.

Flickerdart
2015-01-20, 11:38 AM
Well, you could wield a Large sai, using Monkey Grip (but sadly not Strongarm Bracers). You take a -2 penalty but lose the -4 for it being Light.