PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Verrück Balancer PRC PEACH

Salasay
2015-01-20, 11:23 AM
Verrück Balancer

"They thought me Mad. They thought me Insane. I have now removed that possibility. It has changed Nothing and Everything. It has made me Pure and Vile. It has made me, Me"

NOTE: The abilities of a Ausgleichn are demonic or celestial. They are not good or evil. They may be dark or light, but they should only be referred to as demonic or celestial

The Verrück who learn to harness the magic of both parents become Balancers, or Ausgleichn. These Ausgleichn learn to use powerful celestial and demonic abilities. However, if the Ausgleichn favors one side too much, his very blood fights him, enfeebling him while he leans to one side or the other. Verrück Balancers are occasionally referred to as Grey Monks in works of art.

BECOMING AN AUSGLEICHN

Verrücken have a tendency to go insane later in life. This is due to the literal war that their blood wages on itself. An Ausgleichn learns to prevent that. While not all sane Verrücken are Balancers, all have at least cursory training in meditation techniques. Most Ausgleichn are educated Verrücken who realize early on that they will become mad later in life. Wisdom and Constitution are both important abilities for Ausgleichn, as well as Dexterity to aid in evasion and Strength to aid in damage. Most Ausgleichn come from other lightly armored classes such as Monks and Rangers.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral, Lawul Neutral, or True Neutral
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Race: Verrück (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?393868-Planetouched-Verr%FCck-PEACH-%28Yet-Another-Aasimar-Tiefling-Hybrid%29)
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Special: Constitution 12, Wisdom 16

Class Skills
The Ausgleicgn's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex).
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d8

AUSGLEICHN

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th

1st
+1
+0
+2
+2
Balanced Blood, Grey Meditation, Yin-Yang Swords +1
-
-
-
-

2nd
+2
+0
+3
+3
Heal/Harm
-
-
-
-

3rd
+3
+1
+3
+3
Yin-Yang Bolt 2d6, Shield/Curse
-
-
-

4th
+4
+1
+4
+4
Yin-Yang Swords +2, Insightful Balance
-
-
-

5th
+5
+1
+4
+4
Greater Two Weapon Fighting, Improved Heal/Harm
-
-

6th
+6
+2
+5
+5
Yin-Yang Bolt 3d6
-
-

7th
+7
+2
+5
+5
Yin-Yang Swords + 3, Root/Cripple
-

8th
+8
+2
+6
+6
-
-

9th
+9
+3
+6
+6
Yin-Yang Bolt 4d6, Greater Heal/Harm

10th
+10
+3
+7
+7
Yin-Yang Swords +4

All of the following are class features of the Ausgleichn.

Spells: To cast a particular spell, you must have an Wisdom score of at least 10 + the spell's level. Your bonus spells are based on your Wisdom. Saves to avoid the effects of your spells have a DC of 10 + the spell's level + your Wis bonus (if any).

You cast spells as a Sorcerer does. Ausgleichn know all spells on the following lists, and are only limited by the number of spells per day they have. An epic Ausgleich’s number of spells per day does not increase after 10th level.

Celestial Spells:

0—Cure Minor Wounds, Daze, Light

1st—Cure Light Wounds, Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, Shield, Burning Hands

2nd—Daylight, Cure Moderate Wounds, Shield Other, Flaming Sphere, Scorching Ray, Blur

3rd—Cure Serious Wounds, Remove Disease, Remove Curse, Fireball, Displacement, Slow

4th—Cure Critical Wounds, Confusion, Stoneskin, Fire shield, Wall of Fire

5th—Cure Light Wounds (Mass), Heal, Flame Strike, Hold Monster, Interposing Hand

Demonic Spells:

0—Inflict Minor Wounds, Touch of Fatigue, Ray of Frost

1st—Bane, Inflict Light Wounds, Command, Chill Touch, Ray of Enfeeblement

2nd—Darkness, Inflict Moderate Wounds, Hold Person, Scare, False Life, Touch of Idiocy

3rd—Inflict Serious Wounds, Contagion, Curse, Vampiric Touch, Suggestion, Ray of Exhaustion

4th—Inflict Critical Wounds, Enervation, Ice Storm, Fear, Crushing Despair

5th—Inflict Light Wounds (Mass), Harm, Cone of Cold, Dominate, Mass Suggestion

Neutral Spells:

0—Resistance, Virtue, Prestidigitation, Dancing Lights

1st—Endure Elements, Obscuring Mist, Faerie Fire, Magic Missile, Expeditious Retreat

2nd—Resist Energy, Owl's Wisdom, Hypnotic Pattern

3rd—Telepathic Bond, Lesser, Fly, Haste

4th—Air Walk, Divine Power, Rainbow Pattern, Greater Invisibility, Dimension Door

5th—Plane Shift, Righteous Might, Telepathic Bond, Waves of Fatigue, Wall of Force

Balanced Blood (Su): A Verrück Ausgleichn must maintain a balance of his demonic and celestial sides. Whenever he uses an ability with the (Celestial) or (C) modifier, he gains one "Celestial" point. Whenever he uses an ability with the (Demonic) or (D) modifier, he gains one "Demonic" point. If he has Demonic points and uses a Celestial ability (or vise versa), he instead looses a Demonic point. Thus one Balance Point pool will be at 0 at all times. Consult the following Table to determine benefits and penalties for Demonic points. Celestial points have the same effects, but with (C) and (D) switched.

Balance

Effect

0-1
Fully Neutral
+2 Con, +1 caster level

2-3
Neutral

4-5
Demonic Leaning
-2 Con, +1 caster level for (D), -1 caster level for (C)

6-7
Demonic Aligned
-4 Con, +2 Str, +2 caster level for (D), -2 caster level for (C)

8-9
Fully Demonic
-6 Con, +4 Str, +3 caster level for (D), -3 caster level for (C), -1 caster level for all.

10-11
Overly Demonic
-8 Con, +6 Str, +4 caster level for (D), -4 caster level for (C), -2 caster level for all.

After 11 Balance Points, every 2 levels gives an additional -2 Con, +2 Str, +1 caster level for Demonic abilities and spells, -1 caster level for Celestial abilities and spells, and -1 caster level for all abilities and spells. Balance Points can stack up until the Verrück Ausgleichn dies from the Constitution penalties.

Grey Meditation: An Ausgleichn gains Fast Movement and Unarmed Strike as a Monk of half his level +2. If he already has levels in Monk, every two levels of Verrück Balancer counts as one additional level of Monk to determine Fast Movement, Unarmed Strike, and Flurry of Blows. The Ausgleichn may multi-class with monk freely. Additionally, the Ausgleichn increases his effective druid level by his base attack bonus. This can only effect his ranger animal companion (if he has one), not any druid animal companions.

Yin-Yang Swords (Su): As a move action, an Ausgleichn can create two semisolid blades composed of celestial and demonic energy distilled from his own blood (the demonic one is black, the celestial one is white). The blade which is in your main hand is chosen upon summoning, and may be switched at will. The blades are identical in all ways (except visually) to Sabreknives of a size appropriate for their wielder, except that the celestial sword deals +1 fire damage and the demonic sword deals +1 cold damage (bonus damage increases at higher levels). Ausgleichn who are smaller or larger than Medium create Yin-Yang blades identical to Sabreknives appropriate for their size, with a corresponding change to the blade’s damage. The wielder of a Yin-Yang blade gains the usual benefits to his attack roll and damage roll from a high Strength bonus, as well as adding half of his class level (to a maximum of his wisdom mod) to attack rolls.

The blades cannot be broken - any time they should be broken ( such as if the Ausgleichn were to use one as a crowbar), it becomes immaterial for and instant. The moment he relinquishes his grip on his blade, it dissipates. Yin-Yang blades are considered magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

An Ausgleichn can use feats such as Power Attack or Combat Expertise in conjunction with the Yin-Yang blades just as if they were normal weapons. He can also choose Yin-Yang blades for feats requiring a specific weapon choice, such as Weapon Specialization. Powers or spells that upgrade weapons can be used on Yin-Yang blades.

Even in places where magic effects do not normally function, Yin-Yang blades function normally. A monk Ausgleichn may treat his Yin-Yang blades as monk weapons.

An Ausgleichn may also, as a swift action, fire the energy which makes up one of his blades at an opponent (this action can only be made if he has not yet attacked with that blade). Like magic missile, this bolt strikes its target perfectly. It deals 1d6+1 damage of the same type as the sword it came from (fire for celestial, cold for demonic). The damage for this bolt increases by 1d6 at 3rd, 7th, and 9th levels. After this bolt has been fired, he does not re-summon his blade until the next turn, and cannot convert his Yin-Yang blade into a bolt for 2d2 rounds. Using this bolt ability gives him one Balance Point in the appropriate pool.

Heal/Harm (Sp): A second level Ausgleichn gains his first dual ability. This ability may be used in either form, but not both at the same time. After using a specific form, he my not use that form again for 2d2 rounds. However, he may use the other form during the cool-down time; the second form then would not be able to be used for 2d2 rounds.

Heal (C) (Sp): As cure light wounds, using his regular caster level - 1.

Harm (D) (Sp): As inflict light wounds, using his regular caster level - 1.

Shield/Curse (Sp): This ability may be used in either form, but not both at the same time. After using a specific form, he my not use that form again for 2d4+1 rounds. However, he may use the other form during the cool-down time; the second form then would not be able to be used for 2d4+1 rounds. This ability is touch range, and requires a standard action.

Shield (C) (Sp): Subject gains a +3 deflection bonus to AC. Every bonus caster level he gains from Balance Points adds an additional +1 (to a maximum of +5) and every negative caster level he gains from Balance Points reduces the bonus by 1 (to a minimumn of +1). This ability lasts for 1 minute per caster level.

Curse (D) (Sp): Target must make a Will save (DC 15 + Wis bonus ± bonus caster levels) or get a -3 penalty penalty on attack rolls, saves, ability checks, and skill checks permanently. Every bonus caster level he gains from Balance Points adds an additional -1 (to a maximum of -5) and every negative caster level he gains from Balance Points reduces the bonus by 1 (to a minimumn of -1) The curse bestowed by this ability cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell.

Insightful Balance (Ex): Verrück grow up with constant distractions and such from the competing impulses in their blood. The art of maintaining balance allows the Verrück Ausgleichn to cut out those distractions and, because he is used to them and has adapted to dealing with them, the Verrück Ausgleichn can pay much more attention to his surroundings than a normal person when his blood is balanced. While he is Fully Neutral, he may add two points of his wisdom bonus per 3 class levels (+2 at 4th, +4 at 6th, +6 at 9th) to his AC and initiative rolls. While he is only Neutral, he may add half of that bonus to AC.

Improved Heal/Harm (Sp): The cure and inflict spells from Heal/Harm increase to moderate wounds, and the -1 to caster level is negated

Root/Cripple (Sp): This ability may be used in either form, but not both at the same time. After using a specific form, he my not use that form again for 1d6+1 rounds. However, he may use the other form during the cool-down time; the second form then would not be able to be used for 1d6+1 rounds. This ability has a range of 20ft, and requires a standard action.

Root (C) (Sp): Your target is rooted in place, preventing them from moving. They cannot move from the square that they were in unless moved by teleportation or similar effect, cast by another character (the subject cannot teleport on his own). Once he reaches the destination of the teleportation, he becomes rooted to the spot at which he came out at. While rooted, the subject takes a –2 penalty on attack rolls, AC, and Reflex saves. This ability lasts for 1 minute per caster level.

Cripple (D) (Sp): Your target is crippled and is now slowed , fatigued, and sickened. A fortitude save (DC 17 + Wis bonus ± bonus caster levels) negates the fatigue, and sickness. This ability lasts for 1 minute per caster level (except for the fatigue, which lasts until the target gets 8 hours of complete rest).

Greater Heal/Harm (Sp): The cure and inflict spells from Heal/Harm increase to critical wounds, but the -1 to caster level is reinstated.

Ex-Ausgleichn

If the Ausgleichn ceases to be neutral, he may only use class abilities aligned with the part of his blood that caused him to cease his neutrality (DM can help determine this).

PLAYING AN AUSGLEICHN
Combat: Ausgleichn tend to fulfill the role of a supporting spellcaster. They do not do well at being the primary spellcaster, and are more adept at providing tactical combat assistance than direct damage spells (fireball, lightning bolt) or role-playing spells (Knock, Scry). However, an Ausgleichn can dish out his share of spellfyre when needed, but are better at protection and de/buffing. Most of his damage will come from his swords and bolts. Ausgleichn tend to fight near the front-lines, but not so much in the middle. While a properly balanced Ausgleichn has the health and AC to take being attacked repeatedly, he prefers not to be in that situation.
Advancement: Ausgleichn typically come from monks and rangers. The monastic training for Ausgleichn is not usually left incomplete, but can be in rare cases. Monks are the most common entrants, but rangers, scouts, and the occasional fighter make a decent showing. Almost any class is capable of becoming a Ausgleichn, but some (such as barbarians) usually lack the discipline and capability of balance to become an Ausgleichn.
Resources: Other monks or religious devotees will treat them as one of their own, often offering them to share quarters and meals. They can gain assistance from most churches, but tend to use that as a last resort.

CLASS NAME IN THE WORLD

Balance is needed to sustain sanity. Sanity is needed to sustain balance. Thinking along such lines is the path to losing both.

Notables: Janus Nkrizo was the First Ausgleichn, working out the meditative techniques for the classes balancing abilities. He came from a monk background, joining a monastery at the age of 23. Before that he had been a Wanderer, roaming Sevatim and the Badlands, surviving in the wilderness. His experiences as a Reaper spurred him to work out the meditations, and was taught by Relit to form his Yin-Yang blades. While the oft appearing Ke Kyano is often thought to be an Ausgleichn, his is actually just a tiefling soul-knife.
Organizations: The Sakura Monastery, formed by John Krehl (a fellow Reaper) and Elaine Roz, is a common place for future Ausgleichn to be trained. There is no base of operations for the Ausgleichn, but the Sakura Monastery is the most common home for them.

NPC Reaction
Ausgleichn are very inward focused, rarely speaking with NPC's and rarely drawing attention to themselves. NPC's in turn ignore the Ausgleichn, but the more bigoted and ignorant will insult and jeer at them for being Verrück. Conversely, the rare and refreshing NPC's who recognize them as Ausgleichn respect them for their accomplishments. Other monks or religious devotees will treat them as one of their own, often offering them to share quarters and meals.

CLASS NAME IN THE GAME
Adaptation: The flavor of the Verrück is an integral part of the class, so any campaign into which the Ausgleichn is transplanted must also import the Verrück themselves, a much more challenging proposition. The class could be overhauled to allow for human entrants, but doing so would require DM approved balancing (power-wise, not flavor-wise) adjustments.

Salasay
2015-01-31, 12:21 AM
Could I please get this looked at?

Salasay
2015-02-13, 05:24 PM
Pretty Please?

nonsi
2015-02-16, 01:39 AM
The name 'Ausgleichn' is somewhat jaw breaking (what does it mean anyway, and how do you pronounce it?) and I generally think PrCs were probably 3e's biggest mistake, but other than that, I really like it (that doesn't happen a lot).

I notice that you have a table<-->description conflict for Yin-Yang Bolt damage progression.
I'd put Greater Heal/Harm at 8th level, to eliminate dead levels (and it fits a teady progression).
As far as balance goes, you could lower the BAB requirement to +6 (I'd say +5, but you have Imp. TWF as prereq. and Gr. TWF as a feature).
Heal/Harm - drop the caster-level penalty altogether. CL is low already and it's really an unnecessary detail.
What does '-1 caster level for all' mean? Did you mean Nature Spells?

[EDIT:]

Regarding your Celestial Spells list.......
I can't really see why Blur, Displacement, Slow and Interposing Hand are there.
OTOH, this list seems to be missing some appropriate spells: Lesser Restoration (2), Dispel Magic (3), Freedom of Movement (4) and Break Enchantment (5).

Eldan
2015-02-16, 08:38 AM
It doesn't help that a vowel was removed from the German verb "Ausgleichen". A noun form of that, for a person, would be "Ausgleicher", by the way. Means "to balance".

Honestly, I still find the mangled German names incredibly off-putting. I can never get more than few sentences into these things without closing the tab.

Salasay
2015-02-18, 11:21 PM
So I should use them as Balancers or Monks instead of Ausgleich(n/er)? (which I got from Google translate, and did not intend to mangle. I also apologize for any medical bills inherent in resetting your jaws)

As for the spell lists: some of the spells are not perfect fits, but I had to make sure that the two lists were balanced in number. Also, a lot of the decisions were based on the perceived role of such magic. Celestial is to heal, guard, buff, nonviolent/debilitating crowd control, and fire damage, while Demonic was direct damage, debuffing, debilitating crowd control, and ice damage. While some of the spells didn't fit the flavor themselves, the effect did. I can make Blur and Displacement neutral and replace them with Lesser Restoration and Dispel Magic, but Slow is 3rd level and Freedom of Movement is 4th, and I feel Interposing Hand fits the "protector" bill pretty well. If you can find a 3rd level spell that is better than slow, I'll replace it. Suggestions for replacements are welcome, but the numerical balance from level to level between the two lists is paramount.

What does '-1 caster level for all' mean? Did you mean Nature Spells?

It means that everything they do, neutral or aligned, ability or spell, is at a -1 caster level. The penalties for high imbalance are intended to become prohibitively harsh.

Heal/Harm - drop the caster-level penalty altogether. CL is low already and it's really an unnecessary detail.

Okay

Honestly, I still find the mangled German names incredibly off-putting. I can never get more than few sentences into these things without closing the tab.

I assume the plural is referencing the name Verrück as well? Is the problem just that you know what it means in German, or is the sound/look itself off-putting?

Naming stuff originally is often a challenge for me, so mangling relevant languages... helps me, I guess. The names I've come up with I'd rather keep, but I could reduce the prevalence of those I can, like Ausgleichn.

nonsi
2015-02-19, 01:58 AM
As for the spell lists: some of the spells are not perfect fits, but I had to make sure that the two lists were balanced in number. Also, a lot of the decisions were based on the perceived role of such magic. Celestial is to heal, guard, buff, nonviolent/debilitating crowd control, and fire damage, while Demonic was direct damage, debuffing, debilitating crowd control, and ice damage. While some of the spells didn't fit the flavor themselves, the effect did. I can make Blur and Displacement neutral and replace them with Lesser Restoration and Dispel Magic, but Slow is 3rd level and Freedom of Movement is 4th, and I feel Interposing Hand fits the "protector" bill pretty well. If you can find a 3rd level spell that is better than slow, I'll replace it. Suggestions for replacements are welcome, but the numerical balance from level to level between the two lists is paramount.

1. Your PrC gets 3rd level spells no sooner than char-level 12 (11 if you'd adopt my BAB +6 requirement suggestion).
2. Freedom of Movement more than fits the celestial aspect (probably more than any other aspect).
3. This would definitely not be the first time that a spell is moved from one level in a specific class to another level in a different class.
Conclusion: it's perfectly ok to replace Slow with Freedom of Movement.

Also, if you're that attached to Interposing Hand (I can see why), then drop Hold Monster in favor of Break Enchantment. It's more thematically appropriate and an important contingency (and with your nerfed CL, you won't get a lot out of Hold Monster).

It means that everything they do, neutral or aligned, ability or spell, is at a -1 caster level. The penalties for high imbalance are intended to become prohibitively harsh.

But you already stated penalties for the aligned abilities. Do they stack or overlap?

I assume the plural is referencing the name Verrück as well? Is the problem just that you know what it means in German, or is the sound/look itself off-putting?

Naming stuff originally is often a challenge for me, so mangling relevant languages... helps me, I guess. The names I've come up with I'd rather keep, but I could reduce the prevalence of those I can, like Ausgleichn.

I don't know how you pronounce "Verrück", but "Verruck" doesn't sound off-putting to me.

PersonMan
2015-02-19, 03:39 AM
Well, if you want 'crazy balancer' then you'd want 'Verrückter Ausgleicher'. In German you need to add endings to adjectives depending on the grammatical gender of what they're referring to.

As for how it seems / is said in English, well, that just depends on the individual anyways - I know I'd just read that in German, then switch back to English.

Salasay
2015-02-19, 07:48 AM
Well, if you want 'crazy balancer' then you'd want 'Verrückter Ausgleicher'. In German you need to add endings to adjectives depending on the grammatical gender of what they're referring to.

As for how it seems / is said in English, well, that just depends on the individual anyways - I know I'd just read that in German, then switch back to English.

Thank you for the language correction. Google translate is my only method of translating, and since it is often wrong, any correction is appreciated . I will definitely switch to Ausgleicher and reduce the name's prevalence. However, Verrück(en)sounds normal enough as is, and I believe that as a species name, such a break is acceptable. (Dropping the "t" makes the word less "jaw breaking" for those with no German language background. As for the "ü", it can be treated like an "oo" for those who don't know how to do umlauts (I also like to make the rr a Scottish r, but that's personal preference)