PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next PEACH:5e Custom Class/Virus/Template- Prototype's Alex Mercer- The Blacklight Mutator

Silvestrae
2015-01-20, 01:16 PM
Play as Alex Mercer in 5e
http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs49/i/2009/190/2/2/Alex_Mercer___Prototype_by_sorinelgfx.png

EDIT 2: I have developed rules for the Blacklight Virus (disease-like infection) and the Blacklight Aberrant Template for creatures that succumb to the virus.
https://www.mediafire.com/?xwckpkyrxu3b66g
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: After a number of suggestions made here and elsewhere I have made some changes to the class.. Re-download with the link below for the newest version (sorry no changes log)
https://www.mediafire.com/?4jkxpnjtsfg9eab
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys and gals.
Long time lurker, first time poster.
I've made a class based around Prototype's Alex Mercer called the Blacklight Mutator for D&D 5e.

Feel free to have a look and give me feedback - I appreciate all honest and constructive feedback..
In particular, I'm interested in opinions about balance. It is suppose to be a versatile class, but not so strong it makes PHB classes feel underwhelming next to it.

Majority of the abilities are created using existing rules and mechanics from the source material.

Now with all the fluff and descriptions etc.

Thank you 😊

Inchoroi
2015-01-20, 06:05 PM
Whelp. I know what I'm playing in my next game.

From what I've seen, are the claws/blade finesse, or are they strength based, like the monk (on my phone, so can't read it in depth)?

Edit: No, I don't think it uses dexterity like a monk. A couple of things after reading it more thoroghly sprung to mind, but I'll post those in a bit.

Definitely needs some more mutations.

Silvestrae
2015-01-20, 07:17 PM
No not finese. Majority all strength based.
I used the web wiki when designing and selecting which mutations to add, but I dont think there are any more major/staple mutations from the game that I missed.
- keeping in mind its Based on Prototype 1 Alex Mercer, and doesnt include Prototype 2 abilities.

Inchoroi
2015-01-20, 08:31 PM
No not finese. Majority all strength based.
I used the web wiki when designing and selecting which mutations to add, but I dont think there are any more major/staple mutations from the game that I missed.
- keeping in mind its Based on Prototype 1 Alex Mercer, and doesnt include Prototype 2 abilities.

Hm. I didn't actually play Prototype 2 (I wanted to, but not as much as I wanted to play Skyrim), but that might be a good thing to mine for ideas for further mutations. Another might be the RPG Exalted, as it has a fairly large mutation system.

As for critiques (incoming Wall o' Text!):

1. Biomass Defense

This should, perhaps, be its own mutation, a la Mutate Claws or Mutate Whipfist. Not strictly necessary, but it does provide some more character options; you could treat each category as an analog to Archetypes, except you can gain more than one. For example, at 1st level, you get to choose three mutations, you can choose from the mutations list, which includes all of your mutations (rather than separated by type), which have prerequisites, just like Warlock Invocations (also, might change the "Claws" die in the table to just "Biomass" die, since its referenced for so many different things (and you can increase the things that it uses, such as the Absorb feature, your Hammerfist weapon damage, etc).

In addition, Biomass Defense's second feature should be a much higher level feature; you can put it around 6th level (or, better idea, make it its own mutation, like Mutate Claws, with a level prereq) if it costs a mutation point. Also, it should reference "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons".

I would also, for hilarity and amusement, add the clause that you can't gain much nutrition from regular food, only from your Absorb ability.

Individual mutations:

Mutate Shield: Might need to tone it back to half your Blacklight level (also, needs a D&D-esque name). The reasoning for this is the monk ability only works on ranged attacks, which is why its so good. Toning it down to half means that it applies to ranged and melee, otherwise, I think it'd be too powerful.

Trample: I'd make the opposed check your Strength vs. their Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics), sort of like grapple. Or, alternatively, they'd have to make a Strength saving throw at your Biomass save DC to avoid being knocked prone (this latter version is a bit better, IMO; reference Minotaur's charge feature from MM, pg 223).

Ground Spike: This references a few too many areas. I think, however, we can base it off the Thunderwave spell; pick a point within 30ft of yourself, and everything within 10ft of that point must make a DC (biomass DC) Dexterity saving throw, taking your claw die (or Biomass die, if you take the above suggestion) piercing damage on a failure, or half as much as a success. You may expend an additional mutation point to add another die and another 10ft, up to your max mutation point usage (your proficiency bonus, IIRC). In fact, you can drop Ground Spike Graveyard, and say that your above Ground Spike doesn't affect you at all.

Air Slice: Quite funny. I'd never use it, nor would a lot of people, if I'm honest, but it is hilarious.

Blade Frenzy: This could use some clearing up, as far as language goes. Something like, "When you take the Dash action, you can spend 2 or more mutation points. During your Dash action, you can make one melee weapon attack with your Biomass Blade, in addition to your normal attacks. For each two additional mutation points spend at the beginning of your Dash action, you may make another attack with your Biomass Blade, up to your normal maximum of your proficiency bonus. These attacks can be on the same target or different targets, but you must move at least 5ft between each attack."

Vorpal Blade: Needs a 3rd level prereq., so you don't get ahead of Champion fighter.

Hammerfist Smackdown: This is another one that needs a bit of love. Its cool, but can be made much clearer. "When you hit with an attack with your Hammerfist, you may spend 1 mutation point to push the target back 10ft. The target must then make a DC (Biomass save DC) Strength saving throw or fall prone."

However, doubling damage is much too much at this level. Rogues get something similar, but they only get it once per encounter, if that (if they surprise their target).

Hammerfist Slam: Just make this a copy of Ranger's 11th level feature Whirlwind Attack (it should have a commensurate level requirement).

Critical Pain Devastator: This just needs to be stated more clearly (and have a higher level requirement).

Longshot Grab: I'd actually remove the damage part of this, and then base the Grab part off of the Balor's Whip attack, namely that they have to, if hit, make a Strength saving throw against your Biomass DC or be knocked prone or pulled a distance toward you. Costs you 2 mutation points when you make an attack with your Whipfist.

Streetsweeper: This also can be based off Ranger's Whirlwind Attack feature.

Tendril Barrage Devastator: This is basically the same as Ground Spike, so the same sort of thing applies (or, better, maybe cut it and think of something else to replace it).

As a note, I'm going to look for a document that a person I know of made for Exalted, that's all about mutations. It has a bunch of really cool ones you (and I) can draw inspiration from.

EDIT: Found it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zSae7JJfkkLrgrDu5sNPzNrYBQFAO7EjSaMs4OPvDXo/edit?pli=1

If you couldn't guess, body horror is one of my favorite genres.

EDIT: I've been reading up on Prototype 2, and I've had some thoughts.

The Armor should have levels; from basic goo protection, equivalent of, say, studded leather, and it can go up all the way to plate armor, with lower speed and movement.

This makes me want to have a floating pool of biomass dice that you can either commit, meaning you've used that amount of biomass to get a lasting effect, or you can expend them for a specific type of effect that takes it out of you; sort of combining mutation points and the "claws" die into one trait.

Also, some more suggestions for mutations:

Camouflage; upgrades to invisibility at some point?
Spider-climbing
Expand Absorb through mutation points: beyond healing, absorb can cure diseases, poison, exhaustion (base off lesser and greater restoration for costs)
A fun one might be to infect a creature with some of your biomass particles, so you can communicate telepathically.
Mutation storage; you can absorb items into yourself, and spawn a mutation-version later. Like tools?

Silvestrae
2015-01-21, 05:52 AM
Thanks for such an in depth look. It is appreciated :)

1. Biomass Defense

This should, perhaps, be its own mutation, a la Mutate Claws or Mutate Whipfist. Not strictly necessary, but it does provide some more character options; you could treat each category as an analog to Archetypes, except you can gain more than one. For example, at 1st level, you get to choose three mutations, you can choose from the mutations list, which includes all of your mutations (rather than separated by type), which have prerequisites, just like Warlock Invocations (also, might change the "Claws" die in the table to just "Biomass" die, since its referenced for so many different things (and you can increase the things that it uses, such as the Absorb feature, your Hammerfist weapon damage, etc).

In addition, Biomass Defense's second feature should be a much higher level feature; you can put it around 6th level (or, better idea, make it its own mutation, like Mutate Claws, with a level prereq) if it costs a mutation point. Also, it should reference "bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from non-magical weapons".

I would also, for hilarity and amusement, add the clause that you can't gain much nutrition from regular food, only from your Absorb ability.
Agreed. I did think about using the claw damage as a general multi use value.
For the second part of Biomass Defense, I just placed it in line with barbarian's level to access it (it's just carbon copying of part of Rage - which is also why it doesn't reference non-magical weapons) I considered using mutation points for it but I didn't want it to be used more than twice a day and Considering a short rest replenishes mutation points you would be able to use it a lot that way.
I also like the 'flavor' of your point about limited nutrition lol

Mutate Shield: Might need to tone it back to half your Blacklight level (also, needs a D&D-esque name). The reasoning for this is the monk ability only works on ranged attacks, which is why its so good. Toning it down to half means that it applies to ranged and melee, otherwise, I think it'd be too powerful.
Yeah, I guess for this I added the melee damage as well because a monk can always use this option without spending Ki and by spending a point of ki they get to make a free attack. I thought adding melee was an alright trade off for always needing to spend a point and not getting to attack in return.

Trample: I'd make the opposed check your Strength vs. their Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics), sort of like grapple. Or, alternatively, they'd have to make a Strength saving throw at your Biomass save DC to avoid being knocked prone (this latter version is a bit better, IMO; reference Minotaur's charge feature from MM, pg 223).

Thank you!! I was unsure of how to handle this one but seeing the Minotaur I think it may become a Strength save. I didnt go with the grapple-like rules because sure dodging with dex may cut it for avoiding getting grappled, but i didnt see the logic in how a dex check would stop the movement of something from charging through, more so just get out of its way.

Ground Spike: This references a few too many areas. I think, however, we can base it off the Thunderwave spell; pick a point within 30ft of yourself, and everything within 10ft of that point must make a DC (biomass DC) Dexterity saving throw, taking your claw die (or Biomass die, if you take the above suggestion) piercing damage on a failure, or half as much as a success. You may expend an additional mutation point to add another die and another 10ft, up to your max mutation point usage (your proficiency bonus, IIRC). In fact, you can drop Ground Spike Graveyard, and say that your above Ground Spike doesn't affect you at all.
Here I was sticking the game as much as possible, I wanted the Ground spike to be a tight radius aoe at range, and the graveyard version to be centred on you, sacrificing the range of Ground spike, but having the ability for its radius to be increased. ie more potential targets affected.

Air Slice: Quite funny. I'd never use it, nor would a lot of people, if I'm honest, but it is hilarious.

Yeah... lol. I don't know if ill use it either but It's in the game so it made its appearance here. I can picture a scenario where from level 5 you can get on top of a roof, use glide to reach an enemy position and then air slice. But it yeah not really something you would use a lot.

Blade Frenzy: This could use some clearing up, as far as language goes. Something like, "When you take the Dash action, you can spend 2 or more mutation points. During your Dash action, you can make one melee weapon attack with your Biomass Blade, in addition to your normal attacks. For each two additional mutation points spend at the beginning of your Dash action, you may make another attack with your Biomass Blade, up to your normal maximum of your proficiency bonus. These attacks can be on the same target or different targets, but you must move at least 5ft between each attack."
Thanks! copying your description as is.

Vorpal Blade: Needs a 3rd level prereq., so you don't get ahead of Champion fighter.

In its current state you dont get your first 'Bonus Mutation until 5th level so any level prereq lower than that is redundant. However if I make the other weapon forms bonus mutations that you can pick instead of just receiving to allow more customisation in progression, then yea I will add the requirement.

Hammerfist Smackdown: This is another one that needs a bit of love. Its cool, but can be made much clearer. "When you hit with an attack with your Hammerfist, you may spend 1 mutation point to push the target back 10ft. The target must then make a DC (Biomass save DC) Strength saving throw or fall prone."

However, doubling damage is much too much at this level. Rogues get something similar, but they only get it once per encounter, if that (if they surprise their target).

Yea to justify the double damage I made it cost an action to charge.. then requiring another action to let the attack off it essentially means that you have used 2 actions to deal a single double damage hit with a knock back.

2 Round Scenario - assume each attack hits
Option 1: Attack in first round - deal damage, attack in second round - deal damage. No points used.
Option 2: Charge in first round - no damage, attack in second round - deal double damage and knock target back. 1 points used at start with chance of being interrupted and losing the charge.
Essentially both options deal same potential damage - but with option 2 you're risking interruption and spending 1 point for the ability to knock an enemy back 10ft.

Hammerfist Slam: Just make this a copy of Ranger's 11th level feature Whirlwind Attack (it should have a commensurate level requirement).

Nice easy alternative.

Critical Pain Devastator: This just needs to be stated more clearly (and have a higher level requirement).

Range is comparable to most single target spells, even cantrips. Damage is comparable to Monk's Water Whip Ability in average damage, available as low as level 3- I just used the tip in DMG - "You can use different damage dice than the ones in the table, provided that the average result is about the same. Doing so can add a little variety to the spell."
Although I suppose the guaranteed +5 damage per d6 will ramp the average damage up. I could use a greater number of d4s and remove the +X value to keep it level.
Will try reword it though for ease of reading/comprehending.

Longshot Grab: I'd actually remove the damage part of this, and then base the Grab part off of the Balor's Whip attack, namely that they have to, if hit, make a Strength saving throw against your Biomass DC or be knocked prone or pulled a distance toward you. Costs you 2 mutation points when you make an attack with your Whipfist.

This one is literally a copy paste of the aforementioned 'Water Whip' monk ability.. however I do like your variant of landing a normal hit and then spending points to pull them towards you. However without the 'spell-like' amount of damage i'd likely just make it cost 1 point.

Streetsweeper: This also can be based off Ranger's Whirlwind Attack feature.

Yet another aoe lol... For these I generally try to put them under the dexterity save umbrella purely to speed up combat by reducing the number of attack rolls necessary - I guess I could make it roll a single attack roll and apply it to all potential targets.

Tendril Barrage Devastator: This is basically the same as Ground Spike, so the same sort of thing applies (or, better, maybe cut it and think of something else to replace it).

Yeah I started to run out of ideas on how to add uniqueness to everything when they're essentially all just AOEs - however, it's a major/main ability in the game, so I added it for authenticity.

As a note, I'm going to look for a document that a person I know of made for Exalted, that's all about mutations. It has a bunch of really cool ones you (and I) can draw inspiration from.

EDIT: Found it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zSae7JJfkkLrgrDu5sNPzNrYBQFAO7EjSaMs4OPvDXo/edit?pli=1

If you couldn't guess, body horror is one of my favorite genres.

Thanks.. Ill have a good read of this later.

EDIT: I've been reading up on Prototype 2, and I've had some thoughts.

The Armor should have levels; from basic goo protection, equivalent of, say, studded leather, and it can go up all the way to plate armor, with lower speed and movement.

This makes me want to have a floating pool of biomass dice that you can either commit, meaning you've used that amount of biomass to get a lasting effect, or you can expend them for a specific type of effect that takes it out of you; sort of combining mutation points and the "claws" die into one trait.

I haven't looked into P2 yet - but interesting ideas nonetheless.

Also, some more suggestions for mutations:

Camouflage; upgrades to invisibility at some point?
Spider-climbing
Expand Absorb through mutation points: beyond healing, absorb can cure diseases, poison, exhaustion (base off lesser and greater restoration for costs)
A fun one might be to infect a creature with some of your biomass particles, so you can communicate telepathically.
Mutation storage; you can absorb items into yourself, and spawn a mutation-version later. Like tools?

Spider-climbing is basically achieved at level 9 with unarmoured movement.
I like the ideas behind * 3 and 4... * 5 made me chuckle lol..

Thanks again for the solid and in depth feedback. I have a lot of ideas to work with now as I move from draft to play test.
I really appreciate your time.

Inchoroi
2015-01-21, 10:48 AM
Update when you've got the next version done!

Also;

Expanded Consumption
Prerequisites: 3rd level
When you consume a creature, you can forgo receiving any hit points from it, and instead end one disease that afflicts you, or one condition from the following choices: blinded, deafened, paralyzed, or poisoned.

Greater Consumption
Prerequisites: 9th level, Expanded Consumption
When you consume a creature, you can forgo receiving any hit points from it and expend three mutation points. You may end an effect upon you instead. The effects you may end are as follows: the charmed condition, one curse, including attunement to a cursed magic item, any reduction to your ability scores, or one effect that is reducing your hit point maximum.

Additionally, I'd drop the -5/+10 thing from hammerfist, and instead give it the fighter's great weapon fighting style feature. It would, personally, tick me off horribly to always attack at a penalty.

Lastly, you aso need to mention that some of these mutation options limit the use of items or other weapons. Otherwise, you get the equivalent of a great sword in one hand and a longsword or rapier in the off hand with a single feat.

mictrepanier
2015-01-21, 12:07 PM
You need a capstone feature at 20th level

Scaileanna
2015-01-21, 04:26 PM
Any plans for archetypes cause It would be cool to possibly be Green and make your own spawn like hunters and infecting things like she does

Silvestrae
2015-01-22, 08:57 AM
OK. I have made a number of changes/additions/etc - It has more mutations now and more customisation, which takes it away from being 100% authentic with Prototype which I wanted to avoid - BUT I believe it has made the class better overall.

Re-download and check it out. (https://www.mediafire.com/?4jkxpnjtsfg9eab)
This version is how I'm going to playtest it - however feedback on this latest version is still sought after/appreciated.

Thanks to all those who have contributed so far - many of your suggestions are now a part of the Blacklight Mutator.

Awaiting further feedback!
Cheers

GorinichSerpant
2015-01-23, 01:14 AM
This looks like a really interesting class, it seems like it would be very fun to play.

Are all the weapons strength based? It could make sense that the claws and the whipfist could be finenessable and if they are then the capstone would be somewhat worse for them.

I think that the Bonus Mutations List should just be called the Mutations List, sounds cleaner and makes more sense as it's the only mutations list there is.

Silvestrae
2015-01-23, 03:24 AM
This looks like a really interesting class, it seems like it would be very fun to play.

Are all the weapons strength based? It could make sense that the claws and the whipfist could be finenessable and if they are then the capstone would be somewhat worse for them.

I think that the Bonus Mutations List should just be called the Mutations List, sounds cleaner and makes more sense as it's the only mutations list there is.

Yea all strength based. Nothing finesse-able... Finesse is used for light weapons. I don't believe a 30ft long whipfist made of flesh/biomass or giant oversized claws would classify. So alas, no issue with capstone either.

Bonus Mutation list is called as such simply because that's how its written in class table - Generally every class' class feature description is written exactly as it is in the table.

Silvestrae
2015-01-24, 09:26 AM
Another Update: I have developed rules for the Blacklight Virus (disease-like infection) and the Blacklight Aberrant Template for creatures that succumb to the virus.
https://www.mediafire.com/?xwckpkyrxu3b66g

Checkmate2
2015-08-02, 11:54 PM
Honestly, your current build strikes me as distinctly underpowered.

You seem to have based the claw damage and Mutation Points on Monk unarmed damage and Ki points. This might be fine except for the magical item rejection. With that, the BM basically becomes a laughing stock at mid to high levels. To balance that out you'd either need to remove the magic item rejection or greatly increase the power of the mutation abilities.

You'd also need to balance out a lot of stuff for the BM not having magic. A lot of creatures, especially at high levels, have resistance to nonmagical damage for example. Just look at the vow of Poverty from 3.5's Book of Exalted Deeds, and all the stuff they give to people who never get any magic items. Now, I realize BM isn't completely barred from magic. They can still use passive stuff, but it's still a pretty huge disadvantage