PDA

View Full Version : Elemental evil storyline & product offerings unveiled

Keko
2015-01-20, 01:55 PM
http://dnd.wizards.com/elemental-evil

Finally news on releases, and new races also:smallsmile:

It refers to genasi but also to even more new races, any ideas of which may be?

Also the cover art is great!

mr_odd
2015-01-20, 02:12 PM
Cool. Want the player options without the adventure? Download them for free.

White Mage Tam
2015-01-20, 02:35 PM
Oh thank goodness I don't actually have to drop $50 where $0 would suffice. Awesome.

Yorrin
2015-01-20, 03:24 PM
genasi
Called it.

More races, though, is interesting. And new spells, while unsurprising, is both exciting and concerning. Overall, though, I'm just glad they're doing the crunch for free and only charging for the adventure. They're making friends of many fans by doing that.

mephnick
2015-01-20, 10:39 PM
new spells.

I'm sure this will end well.

Eslin
2015-01-20, 10:44 PM
new spells

Hahahahahaha

Envyus
2015-01-21, 12:14 AM

It should given that they will all be elemental based.

silveralen
2015-01-21, 12:20 AM

Considering lack of elemental spells that aren't fire is an actual issue people have noted with sorcerer, it probably will.

Eslin
2015-01-21, 03:14 AM
Considering lack of elemental spells that aren't fire is an actual issue people have noted with sorcerer, it probably will.

Yup. The one type of spell I'm certain can be slotted into 5e with no issue is a bunch of elemental attack spells.

Envyus
2015-01-21, 03:37 AM
Yup. The one type of spell I'm certain can be slotted into 5e with no issue is a bunch of elemental attack spells.

Mind telling us what they are?

Eslin
2015-01-21, 04:17 AM
Mind telling us what they are?

Well, I don't know yet since they're not out.

But what I was referring to is the fact that dragon sorcerers are pretty much stuck with fire, since there aren't enough of other elements. Unlike other spells, damaging spells are unlikely to break the game because there are tons of ways to deal damage - spells like suggestion, teleport and true polymorph are the kind of things that need incredibly careful consideration, making a spell like wave of acid level 3 evocation spell range self(30 foot cone) 6d8 acid damage, half on reflex save, +1d8 damage per spell level takes about as much time to proofread as it does to say. I'd expect most to be a little more creative than that, but in general blasting spells don't break anything and we have a somewhat limited variety at present.

silveralen
2015-01-21, 05:21 AM
Well, I don't know yet since they're not out.

But what I was referring to is the fact that dragon sorcerers are pretty much stuck with fire, since there aren't enough of other elements. Unlike other spells, damaging spells are unlikely to break the game because there are tons of ways to deal damage - spells like suggestion, teleport and true polymorph are the kind of things that need incredibly careful consideration, making a spell like wave of acid level 3 evocation spell range self(30 foot cone) 6d8 acid damage, half on reflex save, +1d8 damage per spell level takes about as much time to proofread as it does to say. I'd expect most to be a little more creative than that, but in general blasting spells don't break anything and we have a somewhat limited variety at present.

Agreed. Unless the spells are just noticeably more powerful than existing spells of the same level, more blasting spells are unlikely to screw things over.

There are elemental spells I could see being an issue, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

Rallicus
2015-01-21, 05:50 AM
Agreed with the others concerning elemental spells. Still, this implies that new spells will be a thing with each splat. Tomb of Horrors "Summon Sphere of Annihilation?" Whelp.

Also Genasi makes sense, but I've yet to see one played or even as an NPC in all my years of DnD. I think I may have played one in NWN2. Was hoping for maybe a Kobold... oh well.

Good on WOTC for releasing the options for free though.

brocadecity
2015-01-21, 06:06 AM

Maybe we'll finally get obscuring mist

Yorrin
2015-01-21, 08:53 AM
Agreed with the others concerning elemental spells. Still, this implies that new spells will be a thing with each splat. Tomb of Horrors "Summon Sphere of Annihilation?" Whelp.

Also Genasi makes sense, but I've yet to see one played or even as an NPC in all my years of DnD. I think I may have played one in NWN2. Was hoping for maybe a Kobold... oh well.

Good on WOTC for releasing the options for free though.

Yeah, it's the trend implied with future splats I'm worried about.

As for Genasi- the only Druid I ever enjoyed playing was a 4e Wind Genasi with a focus on forced movement and beast form :smalltongue:

Knaight
2015-01-21, 09:48 AM
Agreed. Unless the spells are just noticeably more powerful than existing spells of the same level, more blasting spells are unlikely to screw things over.

There are elemental spells I could see being an issue, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

There have been elemental spells which were a bit iffy in previous editions (starting with the conjuration line of elemental orbs which were better than most evocation attack spells in 3e), but I suspect WotC has learned from that by now.

Invader
2015-01-21, 09:55 AM
There have been elemental spells which were a bit iffy in previous editions (starting with the conjuration line of elemental orbs which were better than most evocation attack spells in 3e), but I suspect WotC has learned from that by now.

Which would be sad imo because the orb spells were one really good way to make blasting effective. It's true they could be optimized way to much but within the assumed moderation of a "normal" game, they were great.

Knaight
2015-01-21, 09:58 AM
Which would be sad imo because the orb spells were one really good way to make blasting effective. It's true they could be optimized way to much but within the assumed moderation of a "normal" game, they were great.

Blasting is already pretty effective in 5e. It doesn't phase out lower level monsters, larger groups are more normalized, and a bunch of other things make it work. Something like that doesn't need to be made. Even in 3e, blasting wasn't all that ineffective if compared to things that aren't other caster options.

DireSickFish
2015-01-21, 10:01 AM

I think they have added relevance to blasting spells this edition by significantly upping the damage you can do with them. Plus the concentration mechanic makes the opportunity cost for blasting while keeping 1 buff up high.

I mean we already have people doing crazy stuff with Wish and Clone and the Polymorphs. As long as the broken stuff stays at the high level end of the spectrum I'll be fine with it. Mainly because I won't see it in my home games as we don't get that high level.

Invader
2015-01-21, 10:05 AM
Blasting is already pretty effective in 5e. It doesn't phase out lower level monsters, larger groups are more normalized, and a bunch of other things make it work. Something like that doesn't need to be made.

Fair enough, I havent played a sorc or wizard yet and really use a lot of damage spells with my druid.

archaeo
2015-01-21, 10:11 AM
Yeah, it's the trend implied with future splats I'm worried about.

I mean, let's actually see the spells they add to the system before we decide there's some kind of "splat trend" to worry about.