PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Druid Companion

Azura Vash
2015-01-20, 02:40 PM
Ok so I am a lvl 9 Druid how many Companions can I have is it just one or more I cant find it anywhere in the PHB 3.5 saying there is a limit if so can some one tell me where

Red Fel
2015-01-20, 02:55 PM
Ok so I am a lvl 9 Druid how many Companions can I have is it just one or more I cant find it anywhere in the PHB 3.5 saying there is a limit if so can some one tell me where

Generally speaking, you get one animal companion. There are various shenanigans people pull to get multiple, but generally speaking, it's just the one. This is implicit in the fact that the section on the Druid's animal companion in the PHB speaks exclusively in the singular, with phrases like "an animal companion," "completely typical for its kind," "the animal's power," "she may gain a new one," etc.

If you want multiple animals, just use a high-level SNA to summon a metric tonne of low-level animals. Then, puppystorm.

But generally, it's just the one companion. You ain't the Doctor, mate.

Hiro Quester
2015-01-20, 03:03 PM
You can use Handle Animal to have other animals that you train, that follow you around, and basically serve you.

Even a mage can use HA to have trained dogs to protect them. As you get higher levels, you can use Wild Empathy checks to turn a friendly attitude to devoted follower.

I think there is also a feat that enables you to have animal cohorts. The druid equivalent of "leadership". but over animals.

Or take leadership itself and have a wild animal cohort or a humanoid cohort and many animal followers.

Morphie
2015-01-20, 03:15 PM
If you want multiple companions you may want to check out the Beastmaster prestige class.

Hiro Quester
2015-01-20, 03:44 PM
I was thinking of Wild Cohort. (It's posted on the Wizards' site here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a).) Druids can take the feat to get an extra animal companion(ish). It enables PCs other than Druids and Rangers to have an animal companion.

Special: Druids and rangers who take the wild cohort feat gain an animal cohort in addition to their animal companion. Although the two abilities are similar, they follow different sets of rules and must be tracked separately.

On this page they also discuss adaptations of the Leadership feat that might entail a horde of animal followers (something a player could work out with DM). I always imagined a druid/diplomancer with many "little birds" and other critters spying for him.

Or a druid "Snow White" who has the devoted assistance of all the forest animals around the neighborhood to do her daily chores.

Or a druid as ship's caster, with a Giant Squid cohort, another Giant squid Animal Companion, and a school of sharks and aquatic dinosaurs following the ship around.

Flickerdart
2015-01-20, 03:55 PM
Yeah, like everyone else said, you just get the one. I think it used to be that you got loads in 3.0 but this is no longer the case.

Troacctid
2015-01-20, 04:05 PM
Yeah, like everyone else said, you just get the one. I think it used to be that you got loads in 3.0 but this is no longer the case.

In 3.0, you had to get your animal companion by means of animal friendship, a 1st level Druid/Ranger spell. If you cast the spell on multiple animals, you could have multiple animal companions, but the total HD of those animals was limited by your caster level, much like how you can only control so many undead with animate dead. (Hence why Rangers have half-strength animal companions--it was because their caster level was equal to half their Ranger level, and that carried over even when it was changed to a class feature instead of a spell.)

Coidzor
2015-01-20, 08:46 PM

You get one without the Beastmaster PrC or the Wild Cohort feat, which is... worse than a regular animal companion and you can't share spells with it without taking 5 levels in a druid-friendly adaptation of an arcane-only PrC on the WOTC site, Silverwood Arcanist, IIRC.

You can dip Cleric 1 of an appropriate nature Deity/cause/principle and get Rebuking for creatures with the Cold or Fire subtype but that'd mostly just get you magical beasts rather than animals.

The Initiate of Nature feat from Player's Guide to Faerūn gives you rebuking for animals.

Blessed By Tem-Et-Nu from Sandstorm gives you Hippo-only rebuking but requires Tem-Et-Nu as your patron deity.