PDA

View Full Version : Wands of cure

Laesin
2007-04-02, 08:53 PM
Am I right in thinking that Bards can use a wand of cure X wounds created by a cleric or does it have to be an arcane wand thus created by another bard?

EDIT Of course i'm referring to them not needing to make a UMD check.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-04-02, 09:00 PM
I believe that as long as the spell is on your class spell list, it does not matter who's spell list it was created from. Handy for Bards and Paladins who don't want to pay a premium on the Cure sticks.

jlousivy
2007-04-02, 09:00 PM
you may use any wand without a UMD check if that spell is located on your spell-list assuming it's not a barred school(wiz only).

edit: ninja'd

Laesin
2007-04-02, 09:07 PM
Thanks guys. By the way was it different in 3.0? I could have sworn there was a distinction between arcane and divine trigger/completion items even of the same spell.

Starsinger
2007-04-02, 09:09 PM
I think a bard can only use Scrolls of Cure X if another bard made them.

Laesin
2007-04-02, 09:16 PM
I thought so too but i can't find a reference in the SRD to that effect.

Aquillion
2007-04-02, 09:28 PM
I thought so too but i can't find a reference in the SRD to that effect.
From the section on scrolls, quoted in the online d20srd here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm):

To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

° The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.) This does not apply to wands, though, which aren't even divided up as arcane or divine; they're just generic spell trigger items, so all you need is to have the same spell on your class list.

Laesin
2007-04-04, 12:34 PM
Thanks Aquillion, knew I was missing something.

Miles Invictus
2007-04-04, 04:40 PM
Does anyone actually keep track of whether a scroll is arcane or divine? It strikes me as a needless complication.

Assassinfox
2007-04-04, 05:31 PM
Does anyone actually keep track of whether a scroll is arcane or divine? It strikes me as a needless complication.

DM: You find a scroll of magic missiles.
Player: Yay!
DM: ... but it's Divine, so you can't use it.
Player: Noooooooooooooo!