PDA

View Full Version : there and back again: boomerang warrior

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 05:57 PM
Well today threw me a curve ball. I now am asked if a player can use a boomerang build. Only thing is...i known nothing of any support for a boomerang.

OldTrees1
2015-01-20, 06:02 PM
Boomerang Ricochet(every attack is 2 attacks) and Boomerang Daze(every attack can Daze) are 2 feats in Races of Ebberon.

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 06:07 PM
thank you. i actually think i have made a post about this before, but am not sure (hence the name lol). I have those noted. What about master thrower or whatever that class is called?

Sir Chuckles
2015-01-20, 06:24 PM
Levels in Exotic Weapon Master and Master Thrower work very well. I'd recommend a Fighter dip with Scout or Ranger levels as the base, possibly all three. Swift Hunter is great.

Fighter would be most advisable with Dragon Mag support, as the Exoticist Fighter is wonderful, though Targeteer can also work very well for more damage.

There are three boomerangs, and the one from DotU is likely the most viable, though the Talenta could work for the slight boost in range. Have prof in both with Exoticist!

I'll post details on an actual build, as I do have a mid-op one written up, when I'm not posting from my phone this evening.

OldTrees1
2015-01-20, 06:25 PM
Yeah Master Thrower would have some pluses too. And all the standard ranged stuff would make sense too.

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 06:47 PM
Sir Chuckles, you should put the sources in parenthesis next to your suggestions because idk where those are from.
EDIT: idk why in the bloody hell it posted love...either i need more sleep or this mac hates me lol

Sir Chuckles
2015-01-20, 07:35 PM
Exoticist and Targeteer Fighter (DragM #310)
Xen'drik Boomerang (DotU)
Talenta Boomerang (Eberron Campaign Setting)
Scout (Comp. Adventurer)
Swift Hunter feat (Comp. Scoundrel)
Ranger and Fighter (PHBI/SRD)
Exotic Weapon Master and Master Thrower (Comp. Warrior)

2015-01-20, 07:44 PM
If you're going to do a thrown weapons build, you need a way to get weapons to return to you (the returning quality is pretty useless once you've got multiple attacks). My favorite is Bloodstorm Blade 4 (Tome of Battle): this makes it so that you only need the normal number of weapons to full attack (1 if single wielding, 2 if dual-wielding), rather than needing one boomerang per attack. This is because of how expensive magic weapons are; if you want them to be relevant at the higher levels, you need to avoid having to carry around a half-dozen +1 Returning Boomerangs.

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 08:03 PM
ah bloodstorm blade, really good option. will defiantly look into that one. so far no race decided. playing in faerun but any race/class is accepted since players are party of a cosmic chess game basically.

Andry
2015-01-20, 08:09 PM
You could just re-fluff the Gloves of Endless Javelins to use boomerangs.

2015-01-20, 08:09 PM
ah bloodstorm blade, really good option. will defiantly look into that one. so far no race decided. playing in faerun but any race/class is accepted since players are party of a cosmic chess game basically.

Yeah, I've done a lot of thrown weapon builds, and looked into the RAW mechanics quite a bit. Let it suffice to say that getting to the point where you don't need an armory worth of weapons is a long journey (if you start from level 1), and you'll need a ton of feats to really get good; I recommend dipping into Fighter 2, Ranger 2 (either fighting style), Rogue (Martial Rogue) 2, and even Monk 2 if you can find a way to swap out the terrible bonus feats for something actually useful.

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 08:12 PM
ok will look into those ideas. think boomerang is a strange weapon myself

Flickerdart
2015-01-20, 08:42 PM
Boomerang Ricochet(every attack is 2 attacks) and Boomerang Daze(every attack can Daze) are 2 feats in Races of Ebberon.
The great thing is that there are so many more ricochet abilities - Chakram Ricochet (Champions of Ruin), Ricochet (Dragon 343), Improved Ricochet (Warsling Sniper ability, Races of Faerun). Aptitude them all onto one weapon and go play pinball.

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 09:17 PM
Would those feats even stack in a meaningful way?

Flickerdart
2015-01-20, 09:20 PM
Would those feats even stack in a meaningful way?
It's not a bonus, so stacking rules don't apply.

Necroticplague
2015-01-20, 09:21 PM
If you're going to do a thrown weapons build, you need a way to get weapons to return to you (the returning quality is pretty useless once you've got multiple attacks). My favorite is Bloodstorm Blade 4 (Tome of Battle): this makes it so that you only need the normal number of weapons to full attack (1 if single wielding, 2 if dual-wielding), rather than needing one boomerang per attack. This is because of how expensive magic weapons are; if you want them to be relevant at the higher levels, you need to avoid having to carry around a half-dozen +1 Returning Boomerangs.

Of course, since Shuriken are throwing weapons prices as ammo, you could get +1 morphing returning shuriken for relatively cheap. Just buy 10, still cheaper than a melee weapon.Then, morph them into boomerangs.

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 09:45 PM
uh stacking was a bad term when a game uses that for a specific circumstance lol i meant do those feats even have synergy? and ok well then maybe those wouldnt be to bad to get, especially since i think he changed to a ninja build so instead it be with shurikens.

Flickerdart
2015-01-20, 09:57 PM
uh stacking was a bad term when a game uses that for a specific circumstance lol i meant do those feats even have synergy? and ok well then maybe those wouldnt be to bad to get, especially since i think he changed to a ninja build so instead it be with shurikens.
Well they all basically do the same thing so yes, they have synergy, in that they all make your throwing better.

paperarmor
2015-01-20, 09:59 PM
for races go with a Talenta Halfling or a Lesser Drow from Xen'drek should get the proficiencies out of the way.

j_spencer93
2015-01-20, 10:25 PM
ok will look into those. I do not know if he will pick either but i am still going to purpose them (he dislikes elves to an extent).

defiantdan
2015-01-21, 11:40 AM
arbarian 2 (Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy, Wolf Totem, Trapkiller)/Fighter (DungeonCrusher) 2/Warblade 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Hulking Hurler 1/War Hulk 10. Boomerang warrior only it's a Rock the size of a montain.

j_spencer93
2015-01-21, 11:44 AM
although that is awesome, i will purpose it, but he actually changed his build to a ninja using a kusarigama with shuriken as backup weapons (originally were boomerangs hence this thread).

Palanan
2015-01-21, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by j_spencer93
…he actually changed his build to a ninja using a kusarigama with shuriken as backup weapons….

We need a forehead-smacking smiley for exactly these moments.

Originally Posted by Sir Chuckles
I'll post details on an actual build, as I do have a mid-op one written up….

I'd love to see this if you're still willing to write it up.

j_spencer93
2015-01-21, 01:16 PM
Now that is a smiley i would use lol and ya after asking about all of this his idea changes...yay. oh well, part of being a player i guess, i havent played in a long time now, only DM. i would still like to see that build also, just incase his idea changes ago. He been wanting to play a native (barbarians do not count, or do the native humans of faerun so idk wtf he means by native lol) who uses these kinds of weapons, also thinking of trying to get him to be a eagle or jaguar knight with the Maztecian armor dance or whatever its called. thinking he would like that.

Lord Vukodlak
2015-01-21, 01:22 PM
So a PC wants to be Captain Boomerang?

j_spencer93
2015-01-21, 01:26 PM
lol funny enough sorta (or at least originally, read above) he wanted to be a native that used boomerangs. thought of the maztecians obviously in faerun. he actually just say captain boomerang on a cartoon after making this character

Rolero
2015-01-21, 04:08 PM
http://thumbs.subefotos.com/5c405606ddc915971b3e707bb52a1377o.jpg

j_spencer93
2015-01-21, 05:08 PM
lol well son of a b***h. he now wants to change it to a native maztician warrior from faerun.
he wants to go into jaguar knight, and their is a monk class somewhere in dragon that choose a animal and slowly gain their features. we are thinking of starting as it is it is a base, if not may a dip as prc.

WeaselGuy
2015-01-23, 05:53 AM
Speaking about ninja's, I think I have a build floating on one of these threads for a Rokugan Nezumi Ninja/Master Thrower/Ninja Spy. If I can dig it up, I'll link it to you...

edit: Found it... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386639-No-room-for-Rapid-Shot)

Also, in case you don't want to read the entire post, I replaced the level 9 Far Shot feat with Rapid Shot, and wear Helm of the Hunter or Horizon Goggles. I also ended up dropping the level 18 Improved Critical feat in favor of Darkstalker, but it's basically an open feat. The 5th level of Ninja can be replaced with Fighter, swapping out heavy armor and tower shield proficiency to add Dexterity Modifier to damage vs flat-footed opponents, and dropping the fighter bonus feat in lieu of a d6 of sneak attack damage (DotU Drow Fighter substitution level and UA Fighter ACF, respectively).

This also depends on the DMs ruling of the Aurorum special material applying it's reformation property to ammunition.

j_spencer93
2015-01-23, 04:50 PM
ok thank you. i will look into that build when i have the time.